TripNSweep

Tsabolov to wrestle for Serbia

On 2/16/2021 at 8:34 PM, GoNotQuietly said:

Personally, I feel exactly the opposite. If we have the three best gymnasts, China has the three best divers, and Russia has the three best wrestlers, those are the nine people I want to see with medals. Best of the best regardless of country of origin. 

Then host a most deserving 3rd place tournament.  Nationality is built into the Olympics.  

Also figure out some way in which the countries from the previous year can send more than one wrestler.  So there would be four countries with the option of sending two wrestlers.

Imagine USA with Dake and Burroughs in it.  Italy with Pantaleo at 74kg as well, Russia with two. 

Make it so they can earn the right to go via last chance, or something.

5 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

like the tournament where this happens routinely?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medal_sweeps_in_Olympic_athletics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you said we should allow up to 3 entries per nation then I fully agree. 

I read your statement to say you support guys wrestling for countries they have no real connection to.

If you said we should allow up to 3 entries per nation then I fully agree. 
I read your statement to say you support guys wrestling for countries they have no real connection to.

Fair enough. I just think if we don’t do the first one then it’s unfair to expect people not to do the second one.

6 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Fair enough. I just think if we don’t do the first one then it’s unfair to expect people not to do the second one.

I have no problem with guys doing it.  There are too few paths to success in our sport for me to fault anyone finding success inside the rules.  

I have a problem it's allowed in the rules and countries do it.  If countries using mercenaries was proven to jumpstart wrestling programs in those countries then I'd be all for it.  But that doesn't happen because the guys rarely move to or train in the new country.  

10 hours ago, boconnell said:

I have no problem with guys doing it.  There are too few paths to success in our sport for me to fault anyone finding success inside the rules.  

I have a problem it's allowed in the rules and countries do it.  If countries using mercenaries was proven to jumpstart wrestling programs in those countries then I'd be all for it.  But that doesn't happen because the guys rarely move to or train in the new country.  

I know someone who had a deal worked out to wrestle for another country and part of it was they were going to move there to help jump start wrestling after they were done wrestling. Then the government kept making weird demands, like they wanted him to pay for a couple guys to go to a tournament, guys who had like 6 months of wrestling, and he ended up not representing them. 

10 hours ago, boconnell said:

There are few paths to success in every sport.  It's not unique to wrestling.