moveurfeet32

Barraclough, Terrell ...PSU...So impressed

21 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Never really heard much about him but I think he has a Great career for PSU...Good length...Lost a tough one against #6 for Michigan but this freshman is very good

Rumors are he beat Bartlett in a wrestleoff. 

Barraclough looked good against Michigan.  Here is some context.  He lost to Klodzik 10-0,  Clarion's Zacherl 3-1 and Lehigh's Jimmy Hoffman 6-2 last year. All good kids.  He is a breath of fresh air compared to watching the usual cast of 149 pounders.  He has lost some close matches to tough kids but who has he beat?  Not sure.  

What impresses me about Barraclough is what impresses me about PSU in general.  We've seen very good teams, Iowa included, send out backups this year due to injuries and COVID who look unbelievably overmatched at the D-I level.  PSU sits/loses a starter, up steps the next guy, and, no matter whether you've heard of him, he performs.  It's a credit to their roster management,  development of the kids on campus, the buy-in from his wrestlers into the mission of the program, and to whatever else you want to point.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

What impresses me about Barraclough is what impresses me about PSU in general.  We've seen very good teams, Iowa included, send out backups this year due to injuries and COVID who look unbelievably overmatched at the D-I level.  PSU sits/loses a starter, up steps the next guy, and, no matter whether you've heard of him, he performs.  It's a credit to their roster management,  development of the kids on campus, the buy-in from his wrestlers into the mission of the program, and to whatever else you want to point.

Iowa actually has some very good backups in Assad, Glazier, Costello,  Happel, Kennedy, Ybbara and the Schrievers.  It's just they really don't have anyone at 165,(why would they with Marinelli having another year?) so they bumped guys up and at 125 with Lee still having another season.

Still this lineup would be pretty solid:

125: Cashman

133: Ybarra/Schriever

141: Happel

149: Axmear

157: Reyna

165: Kennedy(if Marinelli wasn't hear many think Kennedy would be).

174: Wilson

184: Assad

197: Glazier

285: Costello

I don't think there is a single team that could beat this one with their own backups!

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Iowa actually has some very good backups in Assad, Glazier, Costello,  Happel, Kennedy, Ybbara and the Schrievers.  It's just they really don't have anyone at 165,(why would they with Marinelli having another year?) so they bumped guys up and at 125 with Lee still having another season.

Still this lineup would be pretty solid:

125: Cashman

133: Ybarra/Schriever

141: Happel

149: Axmear

157: Reyna

165: Kennedy(if Marinelli wasn't hear many think Kennedy would be).

174: Wilson

184: Assad

197: Glazier

285: Costello

I don't think there is a single team that could beat this one with their own backups!

Don't forget about Seabiscuit at 49

15 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Or maybe even the next Jimmy Guilabon...

Jimmy Gullibon. He was an All American finishing 5th in his junior season. A successful college career. He was a PIAA phenom and while he didn't win championships at the collegiate level, he was a quality wrestler. No idea what your post is trying to imply.

Meanwhile the starter at 149 for PSU has yet to be determined. Any guesswork about Barraclaugh will have to wait until he is actually the confirmed starter. 

51 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

You know exactly what Im talking about.

Fact is, not everything Cael touches turns to to gold. 

But Gulibon was a top recruit, Barraclough wasn’t so this comparison doesn’t really make sense

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But Gulibon was a top recruit, Barraclough wasn’t so this comparison doesn’t really make sense

So was Nolf and Taylor.... the original post I responded to was:

On 2/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, WresFan89 said:

Probably the next Nolf or Taylor with the way Cael develops talent.

Kid really represented himself well. 
When they bar is set high kids tend to perform. 
However, lets not act like he was ever a "bad" wrestler. 
Additionally Storr's biggest win (largest margin of victory) this year is a 8-4 triumph over Micheal North of Maryland.... 
I think we expect too much of Storr

18 hours ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

This isn't even true. They're pretty deep at 149, but that's the exception. Already this year, they've had to forfeit 125 twice and have had guys like Levko Higgins and Donovan Ball filling in at 197. Last year it was Creighton Edsall at 184. None of those guys actually wrestle those weight classes normally by the way. In fact, it's been commented on that Penn State's biggest weakness (in as much as they actually have a weakness) is depth because of how much scholarship money is tied up in their starters. That's not unique to them by any stretch by the way. One of the trade offs of recruiting so well under that 9.9 limit. 

Barraclough was actually a nice find. 4x state champion and dave schultz winner. Just came from a state that doesn't get a lot of national press, so he was a little underrated.