bracketbuster

Cal Baptist to Big 12 (2022-23)

23 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

I wouldn't call it an annual thing.  It happened twice, the last time in 2018.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was moved indoors last year due to likely inclement weather that didn't end up hitting? https://fightingillini.com/news/2019/11/14/wrestling-illinois-takes-down-no-13-missouri-in-thriller-19-14.aspx

5 hours ago, Show_Me said:

I think we all understand why Missouri didn't send starters ...  the events proximity to the MAC Tournament (covid protocols).

I do however agree that its a bad look.  

It was 5 weeks out fromm NCAA and any of those top guys would've got AQ and good seeds if out of MAC for covid. If you are going to get covid better then (plenty of time to come back) than from conf tourney and less likely with 3 other teams than with 10.  And if that concerned why risk it with 33?  

15 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Hmmmm........Mizzou wanted to stay in the Big 12 for wrestling but the powers that be were too butt hurt that the school moved to the SEC.  Cal Baptist instead of Mizzou?  Nice call B12.

Situations were vastly different at the time. Big 12 wasn't taking affiliates at the time when UNI inquired and Mizzou's move to the SEC. 

Bowlsby's listened to the existing coaches and did talk about expansion with affiliates on a recent State of Wrestling Podcast (WIBN Speaker Series) I had with him. Comparing UNI and Mizzou's previous overtures to CBU's current situation aren't comparable when you look at the actual facts of their respective situations. 

11 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Situations were vastly different at the time. Big 12 wasn't taking affiliates at the time when UNI inquired and Mizzou's move to the SEC. 

Bowlsby's listened to the existing coaches and did talk about expansion with affiliates on a recent State of Wrestling Podcast (WIBN Speaker Series) I had with him. Comparing UNI and Mizzou's previous overtures to CBU's current situation aren't comparable when you look at the actual facts of their respective situations. 

The overall problem is that wrestling conferences are ill-conceived and formed. It puts undue stress on travel budgets and makes smaller problems vulnerable to the scalpel. The MAC understood that and tried to absorb the EWL and make them all wrestle themselves to save money.

The PAC wrestling conference should be: 

Oregon St.

Arizona St. 

Stanford

Cal Poly 

CSU Bakersfield

Air Force

Utah Valley

Northern Colorado

Cal Baptist

Fresno St. (RIP)

1 hour ago, MizzouGrad said:

The overall problem is that wrestling conferences are ill-conceived and formed. It puts undue stress on travel budgets and makes smaller problems vulnerable to the scalpel. The MAC understood that and tried to absorb the EWL and make them all wrestle themselves to save money.

Oregon St.

Arizona St. 

Stanford

Cal Poly 

CSU Bakersfield

Air Force

Utah Valley

Northern Colorado

Cal Baptist

Fresno St. (RIP)

Add Wyoming

1 hour ago, MizzouGrad said:

Oregon St.

Arizona St. 

Stanford

Cal Poly 

CSU Bakersfield

Air Force

Utah Valley

Northern Colorado

Cal Baptist

Fresno St. (RIP)

I don't think it makes sense for AF and NoCO to be in the PAC12.  Wyoming, AF and NoCO are an easy commute from each other.  Air travel to most conference schools is easy, even NDSU and SDSU.  UVU could be either way, but probably easier travel in the B12.  If I were UVU, I'd want to be in the B12. 

6 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

Oregon St.

Arizona St. 

Stanford

Cal Poly 

CSU Bakersfield

Air Force

Utah Valley

Northern Colorado

Cal Baptist

Fresno St. (RIP)

Division I Collegiate athletic conferences in general are ill-conceived and formed. It's not just wrestling conferences! Have a look at these maps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_conferences#Division_I

West Virginia doesn't belong in the Big 12. Maryland and Rutgers are in the BigTen because Jim Delaney wanted to get New York and Washington DC followers of the BigTen Network.

Nebraska, Missouri, aTm and Colorado left the Big 12 because Texas wouldn't share money from the Longhorn Network.

At least that's what I learned from the fake news media.

Edited by potentiallydangerous

On 2/16/2021 at 11:17 PM, JasonBryant said:

Problem is, what kills the survivability of programs now is not being in a conference, so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation. Never would have thought the Pac-12 would take CBU to begin with. Big 12 will replace the CA spot that Fresno State will leave (ack). Too many stuffed shirt politics at the President and AD levels to actually do something logical by taking the public schools in the west and putting them in the Pac-12. 

Having a conference affiliation in D1 is only as strong as the AD wants it to be. When you're an affiliate, it's easy to say "we aren't in a conference that sponsors wrestling."

Thankfully CBU didn't end up in the SoCon, which is what it was looking like for a while might happen. 

I would think the Mid Pacific (or whatever that conference is called that has Mountain West and a few others merged together for Men's Vollleyball, Track, and so on would add wrestling)...be quite a few programs closer in proximity.  

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

I would think the Mid Pacific (or whatever that conference is called that has Mountain West and a few others merged together for Men's Vollleyball, Track, and so on would add wrestling)...be quite a few programs closer in proximity.  

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation. 

On 2/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, MizzouGrad said:

You think wrestling was part of the conversation of moving from one conference to another? Wrestling, like every single NCAA-sponsored sport except football, is a niche sport with a niche following and niche money. Wrestling wasn't part of the equation, just like Xcountry wasn't part of the decision making. When you are talking about athletic departments with 100-$250 million in annual revenue, there is only one concern at a conference like the SEC - Hut Hut. 

Additionally, Mizzou has supported the wrestling program exceptionally well for a vast majority of Brian Smith's tenure. He makes a Top 5-7 salary nationally and the assistant pool is over $250k. J'den Smith was athlete of the decade and was the first sponsored speaker for a round of Mizzou interviews with famous alumni. 

MU was in a tough spot.  The future of the Big 12 was in jeopardy at that time and the SEC came calling with a bag of cash.  The wrestling program attempted to remain, but it was Kansas that vetoed MU's bid to stay in the Big 12.  Kansas doesn't even sponsor a wrestling program but has a say in who they allow as an affiliate member.  The remaining Big 12 schools seemed to be particularly unhappy about MU leaving, but not as much with Nebraska, Colorado or Texas A & M.

To be honest, MU is a much better fit for the Big 10, but they couldn't wait on the SEC bid.  But hey now we get the annual MO/Arkansas football battle each year. 

Too your point, wrestling was not considered, the only thing was considered was money and the SEC has lots of it. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:42 AM, Swayz said:

Actually the W.A.C. would be a better fit IMO.  Two current members of the W.A.C. have wrestling programs (Cal Baptist and Utah Valley) and three more affiliate schools to the W.A.C. have wrestling programs (Air Force, Northern Colorado & Wyoming).

Add those five wrestling programs to the remaining PAC 12 teams (Arizona State, Oregon State, CS Bakersfield, Cal Poly S.L.O. and possibly Little Rock) and you have a full conference of 9 or 10 teams.  Of course those five current & affiliate members of the W.A.C. would have to be willing to leave the Big 12 in wrestling.

Edited by Bronco

On 2/19/2021 at 8:42 AM, Bronco said:

Actually the W.A.C. would be a better fit IMO.  Two current members of the W.A.C. have wrestling programs (Cal Baptist and Utah Valley) and three more affiliate schools to the W.A.C. have wrestling programs (Air Force, Northern Colorado & Wyoming).

Add those five wrestling programs to the remaining PAC 12 teams (Arizona State, Oregon State, CS Bakersfield, Cal Poly S.L.O. and possibly Little Rock) and you have a full conference of 9 or 10 teams.  Of course those five current & affiliate members of the W.A.C. would have to be willing to leave the Big 12 in wrestling.

Being associated with the WAC isn't something established state schools are looking to do, save the ones who are still with the league. They're doing an expansion into Texas, restarting league-sponsored football and kicked out one of the biggest outliers in college sports, Chicago State. It's identity is going to grow with its own view vs. trying to get bigger schools than the Tarleton's of the world. 

I see where you're going with it and it has some logic, but it's just absolutely implausible at this point in time.