Jimmy Cinnabon

Rating Penn State's starters

Best to worst, and my prediction for NCAAs

1. Aaron Brooks - Kid is a phenom.  I think he wins it all.

2. Nick Lee - Rivera or Eireman could take him out but I see him as a finalist this year

3. RBY - I think he's figured out RBY.  Still see him below Fix and Micic though.  Think he takes 3rd.

4. Starrocci - As a freshman he's now knocked off the #2 wrestler at 174 in consecutive weeks.  He wrestles closes matches so that makes him susceptible to upsets.  See him as a AA in his first year.

5. Berge - Great to see him healthy finally after last year's lost season.  See him as a low AA.

6. Beard - Big pin of Hoffman this weekend.  Tank is still an issue but think he has potential to make low AA.

7. Nevills - Kind of a forgotten guy, but still can beat all but the top guys.  R12

8. Howard - Sure he's only wrestled two matches but he beat Medley and gave Heinselman a fair match.  R12.

9. Bartlett - Probably small for 141 but he's the best PSU has at 149.  Landed a clean TD vs Sasso.  R12

10. Joe Lee - Shows flashes but wrestles sloppy and puts himself in bad position.  Has potential.  NCAA qualifier.

PSU qualifies 10/10 IMO, but Iowa still runs away with the title with its 5th-7th senior firepower

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

2. Nick Lee - Rivera or Eireman could take him out but I see him as a finalist this year

3. RBY - I think he's figured out RBY.  Still see him below Fix and Micic though.  Think he takes 3rd.

4. Starrocci - As a freshman he's now knocked off the #2 wrestler at 174 in consecutive weeks.  He wrestles closes matches so that makes him susceptible to upsets.  See him as a AA in his first year.

5. Berge - Great to see him healthy finally after last year's lost season.  See him as a low AA.

6. Beard - Big pin of Hoffman this weekend.  Tank is still an issue but think he has potential to make low AA.

7. Nevills - Kind of a forgotten guy, but still can beat all but the top guys.  R12

8. Howard - Sure he's only wrestled two matches but he beat Medley and gave Heinselman a fair match.  R12.

9. Bartlett - Probably small for 141 but he's the best PSU has at 149.  Landed a clean TD vs Sasso.  R12

10. Joe Lee - Shows flashes but wrestles sloppy and puts himself in bad position.  Has potential.  NCAA qualifier.

PSU qualifies 10/10 IMO, but Iowa still runs away with the title with its 5th-7th senior firepower

I mostly agree with your 1st four points except for putting Micic above RBY at this time - Unfortunately it is obvious that Micic is dealing with some issues that may prevent him from competing at all and may be affecting his training in ways that are hard to know.  Compare that to how RBY has looked so far this year and RBY has to be favored at this time.  Berge has been looking good and outside of the top 3 guys (Deakin, Hidlay, and Carr) I believe he matches up well with the next tier guys.  I feel much the same about Bartlett at 149.  I disagree that he is a small 141.  I think 141 would be the perfect weight for him and would be surprised if he could effectively make 133.  People mistake him being short with small - He is probably a little taller than Molinaro was.  Like Berge I think he is a decided underdog to the top 3 at that weight (O'Connor, Mauler & Sasso) but very much in the mix with the next level group despite his size issue at 149.  Nevills is a guy I could see breaking into the 5 to 8 AA range - he is very technical for a big guy.  That reshot he took at the end of the Parris match was beautiful and would have worked against most of the college heavyweights out there.  Parris just went beast mode on him and scored again.  Anyway we will see soon enough at B10s & NCAAs.  I also agree with you that PSU is battling for 2nd and probably can't catch Iowa unless the Hawkeyes have a major collapse. 

Not gonna lie. I wouldn’t be that surprised if Penn State pulled it off this year and upset Iowa. Now please pay attention to the actual words.

Do I expect PSU to win? No. Would I be surprised if they wrestled above seed and snuck out a title in the wrestle backs? No

On 2/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

My order is slightly different:

1. Nick Lee:  I think he's the prohibitive favorite at this point.  I think Rivera is 3rd... Eierman is 2nd. - NCAA Champ

2. RBY: I think he's 2nd to Fix, and cradles Desanto again.  His complete devastation and humiliation of Decatur the other day was impressive, no matter how you slice it. - 2nd Place

3. Brooks:  I think he's anywhere from 1-3, but I think Hidlay may be the current favorite.  2nd/3rd, depending on draw.

4. Starocci: He's a superstar ready to burst.  But... Can Massa beat him next time?  Yep.  Could Romero (especially with a solid ankle)?  Yep.  KemDawg?  Yep.  He's a definite AA thread, thinking 3rd/5th range.

5. Berge:  Convinced he's an AA threat, but in the 5th-8th level.

6. Bartlett:  After hanging tough with Slammin' Sammy, wouldn't be surprised in a 5th-8th finish.

7. Nevills:  AA threat, but only based on potential draw.  7th/8th/DNP finish

8. Beard: AA threat, but only based on potential draw.  7th/8th/DNP finish

9. Joe Lee:  AA threat, but very much an outside threat, given the depth at 165.  DNP

10. Howard:  Malik isn't an AA (or maybe a fringe AA) and Malik fully controlled Howard in that match.  DNP

17 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

1. Nick Lee:  I think he's the prohibitive favorite at this point.  I think Rivera is 3rd... Eierman is 2nd. - NCAA Champ

2. RBY: I think he's 2nd to Fix, and cradles Desanto again.  His complete devastation and humiliation of Decatur the other day was impressive, no matter how you slice it. - 2nd Place

3. Brooks:  I think he's anywhere from 1-3, but I think Hidlay may be the current favorite.  2nd/3rd, depending on draw.

4. Starocci: He's a superstar ready to burst.  But... Can Massa beat him next time?  Yep.  Could Romero (especially with a solid ankle)?  Yep.  KemDawg?  Yep.  He's a definite AA thread, thinking 3rd/5th range.

6. Bartlett:  After hanging tough with Slammin' Sammy, wouldn't be surprised in a 5th-8th finish.

9. Joe Lee:  AA threat, but very much an outside threat, given the depth at 165.  DNP

10. Howard:  Malik isn't an AA (or maybe a fringe AA) and Malik fully controlled Howard in that match.  DNP

I like this assessment, seems pretty close to what is likely to happen.

50 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Maybe getting off topic but how is Hidlay the favorite at 184?  He is 0-3 against Bolen since last year.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:03 AM, lu1979 said:

Unfortunately it is obvious that Micic is dealing with some issues that may prevent him from competing at all and may be affecting his training in ways that are hard to know.  

What makes you say this?  What issues?  In what way is it obvious?

11 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

What makes you say this?  What issues?  In what way is it obvious?

I an saying that because he has not competed in either the NCAA season or any FS activities for a long time - at least since way before the beginning of the year - Coach Bormet has stated that it is 50/50 as to whether he will be wrestling this year with Michigan.   I don't have any definitive info on Micic's situation but my guess is that he is dealing with some injury issues.  I would assume his 1st priority would be to make sure he is ready to go for Tokyo.  I certainly hope he can compete in NCAAs this year but I would not rate him above RBY at this point in time due to his inactivity and due to how good RBY has looked. 

29 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I an saying that because he has not competed in either the NCAA season or any FS activities for a long time - at least since way before the beginning of the year - Coach Bormet has stated that it is 50/50 as to whether he will be wrestling this year with Michigan.   I don't have any definitive info on Micic's situation but my guess is that he is dealing with some injury issues.  I would assume his 1st priority would be to make sure he is ready to go for Tokyo.  I certainly hope he can compete in NCAAs this year but I would not rate him above RBY at this point in time due to his inactivity and due to how good RBY has looked. 

He wrestled in that World Cup thing in Serbia

46 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

RBY hasn't looked that good, though.  He regular decisioned the Wisconsin and Indiana kiddos as well as a scrawny, weight-cutting Ragusin.

He hasn't looked nearly as impressive as Desanto or Fix.  Hell, Arizina State's McGee and Virginia Tech's Myers have both looked as impressive or more.

49 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

He wrestled in that World Cup thing in Serbia

Exactly.  Perhaps he's focused on FS?  His career is certainly a lengthy one:

2014-15:  RS at Northwestern

2015-16:  ORS at Michigan

2016-17:  NCAA 4th at Michigan

2017-18:  NCAA 2nd at Michigan

2018-19:  NCAA 3rd at Michigan

2019-20:  ORS

2020-21:  ORS / COVID "Free Year"

2021-22:  4th post-season at Michigan?

Edited by lu_alum

On 2/21/2021 at 5:39 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Nevills just got Carl'd.  But they again, don't they all?  Where's Kerk fit on this list?

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Joe Lee got out to a 16-3 lead tonite and then pinned UMD 165. Not bad for the 10th best starter for PSU.

Penn State will be Big10 co duals champ! 

It's Maryland.  Anything better than a 60-0 loss is a moral victory for them.

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

It's Maryland.  Anything better than a 60-0 loss is a moral victory for them.

lu_alum, your posting was a breath of fresh air when you thought PSU had less than zero chance this year. Ever since Kerk news hit the board today your posting has done a 180. Hmmm. 

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

lu_alum, your posting was a breath of fresh air when you thought PSU had less than zero chance this year. Ever since Kerk news hit the board today your posting has done a 180. Hmmm. 

No true.  PSU has no chance v Iowa this year.  

Let's be real... This is Maryland.  Aside from Michigan, PSU hasn't hit a team with a fully balanced lineup this year.

You have now twice informed me that I am watching PSU vs Maryland when it looks like it could just as easily be PSU vs Lehigh. Ba da bump!

Do you think all the PSU fans don't realize Maryland isn't great and that you need to inform us of this notion? Sorta seems like you do.  

Kerkvliet was scheduled for an extra match but the Maryland wrestler did not take the mat. Beau Bartlett now wrestling an extra match. Bartlett leads 6-2 after 1 period against Cordio. 13-7 after 2 periods.

Edited by TBar1977

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You have now twice informed me that I am watching PSU vs Maryland when it looks like it could just as easily be PSU vs Lehigh. Ba da bump!

Do you think all the PSU fans don't realize Maryland isn't great and that you need to inform us of this notion? Sorta seems like you do.  

Lol, I'm seeing fans on bwi predict multiple national titles for Howard because he pinned a winless wrestler.