Jimmy Cinnabon

Kerkvliet is wrestling

10 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

I still don't know how this is getting Carl'd?  Did I miss something?  Does Cael have something against the Nevill family where he purposely benches them and wrestlers a guy who they are beating in the room?

Nick Nevills was behind national champion Anthony Cassar.  Are you implying Cael did something wrong in starting Anthony Cassar?  Are you implying Nick Nevills deserved to start over Anthony Cassar?

Well he put in a guy who had a second puberty(get it?) over the first Nevills, and recruited hard over the second.

Its obvious Cael only cares about winning.  

6 hours ago, StallWarning said:

I still don't know how this is getting Carl'd?  Did I miss something?  Does Cael have something against the Nevill family where he purposely benches them and wrestlers a guy who they are beating in the room?

Nick Nevills was behind national champion Anthony Cassar.  Are you implying Cael did something wrong in starting Anthony Cassar?  Are you implying Nick Nevills deserved to start over Anthony Cassar?

Classic Carl

11 hours ago, lu_alum said: Highly ranked Nevills brothers go the PSU to finish their careers on the bench.

I still don't know how this is getting Carl'd?  Did I miss something?  Does Cael have something against the Nevills family where he purposely benches them and wrestlers a guy who they are beating in the room?

Nick Nevills was behind national champion Anthony Cassar.  Are you implying Cael did something wrong in starting Anthony Cassar?  Are you implying Nick Nevills deserved to start over Anthony Cassar?

He's just chafed because Lehigh's program is a shambles and no longer even an afterthought

We're ready to put him in the elite category after pinning a roly poly hvy from Maryland that looked like he had no business being on a D1 mat?  I know his pedigree but I'd like to see him wrestle a legit hvy before crowning him.

12 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

We're ready to put him in the elite category after pinning a roly poly hvy from Maryland that looked like he had no business being on a D1 mat?  I know his pedigree but I'd like to see him wrestle a legit hvy before crowning him.

Definitely looked like a man wrestling a boy out there.  

Kerkvliet looks super long. Never seen a HWT slap on cradles so easily.  That said, he's a 230 pound heavyweight.  The top guys are 250-265.  Kerk won't be able to ball them up so easily.  The question is whether he can get out from bottom against a top heavyweight that has 25-40 pounds on him.

Regardless of who he wrestled last night, some of you chose to not sit back and watch it for what it is worth.  He literally made a D1 scholarship wrestler look like a back-up High School JV wrestler.  And despite the fact the Maryland HWT wasn't a top tier talent, Kerk still did things that were unbelievable for a HWT.  He was explosive and unbelievably fast.  And of course the roll through cradle was a thing of beauty.  When is the last time any of you have seen a HWT do that...I have never seen it done at the D1 level.

Now...after all that...I still probably wouldn't pick him to win it this year.  My opinion is Gable wins this year....but doesn't win another one (either because he focuses on Olympic gold and WWE belts, and/or he looses to Kerk).

I don't think his appearance changes the team title race too much; I just think it's exciting when a talent like him gets to actually compete. We have not seen too many guys physically like Kerk in college wrestling. I really hope he is able to hold up physically so we can get the Parris and Steveson matchups. Health is a skill, and he has not yet demonstrated it consistently.

Watch the Hemida and Thomas matches on Rokfin. Cuts through two AAs like a hot knife through butter.

Takedowns are takedowns. He’s going to get a lot. He’s going to cradle some people.

I’m guessing he’s able to get out from underneath both Nevills brothers without much difficulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Watch the Hemida and Thomas matches on Rokfin. Cuts through two AAs like a hot knife through butter.

Takedowns are takedowns. He’s going to get a lot. He’s going to cradle some people.

I’m guessing he’s able to get out from underneath both Nevills brothers without much difficulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine the disparity is very, VERY wide between Kerk and Seth Nevills.  Otherwise they wouldn't be putting Kerk out there right now, on the chance he re-injures himself.

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I kinda just hope Kerk (or Parris) beats Gable so that he doesn't retire

Interesting take...now that you say that I almost feel the same...it is WAY more interesting if he keeps wrestling in college.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Regardless of who he wrestled last night, some of you chose to not sit back and watch it for what it is worth.  He literally made a D1 scholarship wrestler look like a back-up High School JV wrestler.  And despite the fact the Maryland HWT wasn't a top tier talent, Kerk still did things that were unbelievable for a HWT.  He was explosive and unbelievably fast.  And of course the roll through cradle was a thing of beauty.  When is the last time any of you have seen a HWT do that...I have never seen it done at the D1 level.

Now...after all that...I still probably wouldn't pick him to win it this year.  My opinion is Gable wins this year....but doesn't win another one (either because he focuses on Olympic gold and WWE belts, and/or he looses to Kerk).

Is it possible to see this match online?

32 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I kinda just hope Kerk (or Parris) beats Gable so that he doesn't retire

I've been saying it since the three-way idea was a real thing (probably around the start of the NLWC events when Kerk was tearing folks new ones), that I could see it going in a circle for the foreseeable and unforeseeable future. 

Styles make matches and Parris could very well beat Kerk every time, Kerk could beat Steveson every time, and Steveson could beat Parris every time.  At least in freestyle I think their styles lend themselves to go that way and I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up that way for a while.

Does that mean I want Parris, or Steveson for that matter, facing off against a 7 or 8 seed Kerkvliet in the quarters at B1Gs?  Absofcknlutely not.  I hope the coaches don't forget to use their common sense here and seed him appropriately.  6th at the very minimum imho, which isn't fair to Cassman.

Regarding Gable... karma has a way of coming around.  His antics, and his desire to act like the "villain" isn't going to get him anywhere.  Whomever said that the sport needs "villains" is barking up the wrong tree.  The sport needs heroes.  There are plenty of villains on the streets, and in other sports.  People LOVE Kyle Snyder and call him Captain America for a reason.  He's a likable guy.  People LOVE J'Den Cox because he's a likable guy.  His story is amazing.  People LOVE JB because he's just a good person.  If Gable Steveson maintained those "atta boy" or "good person" traits, I'd root for him more.  

Instead, I'd love to see Parris or Kerk Meet Gable in the Semi's, and BEAT him... just to put him in his place.  Parris isn't a villain, and I don't see any signs of Kerk wanting to have such a negative aura around his persona.  Wrestlers at these levels... whether you like it or not, are role models for the young, and are eligible for vicarious living by old farts like me.

23 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Regarding Gable... karma has a way of coming around.  His antics, and his desire to act like the "villain" isn't going to get him anywhere.  Whomever said that the sport needs "villains" is barking up the wrong tree.  The sport needs heroes.  There are plenty of villains on the streets, and in other sports.  People LOVE Kyle Snyder and call him Captain America for a reason.  He's a likable guy.  People LOVE J'Den Cox because he's a likable guy.  His story is amazing.  People LOVE JB because he's just a good person.  If Gable Steveson maintained those "atta boy" or "good person" traits, I'd root for him more.  

Instead, I'd love to see Parris or Kerk Meet Gable in the Semi's, and BEAT him... just to put him in his place.  Parris isn't a villain, and I don't see any signs of Kerk wanting to have such a negative aura around his persona.  Wrestlers at these levels... whether you like it or not, are role models for the young, and are eligible for vicarious living by old farts like me.

It might get him a WWE contract which seems to be what he wants.    Kinda seems like it's an act (nothing wrong with that IMO), if you listen to his interviews he seems pretty cool.   I believe he's even friends with Cassar for example.    Yes he had the legal allegations but they were no charges and for all we know the allegations could have been false.

Some may consider Kerk a villain but not for his personality, because of his transfer and flip-flopping commitments.

Just now, 1032004 said:

It might get him a WWE contract which seems to be what he wants.    Kinda seems like it's an act (nothing wrong with that IMO), if you listen to his interviews he seems pretty cool.   I believe he's even friends with Cassar for example.    Yes he had the legal allegations but they were no charges and for all we know the allegations could have been false.

Some may consider Kerk a villain but not for his personality, because of his transfer and flip-flopping commitments.

I'm guessing there are zero (0) PSU fans that will consider a guy like Trey Kibe a "villain", after committing to PSU, then de-committing, then signing with VT. 

Anyone who holds a grudge against an 18 year old kid for rethinking the most important decision of his life (at that point) needs to step back and reassess things. This is COLLEGE WRESTLING. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I imagine the disparity is very, VERY wide between Kerk and Seth Nevills.  Otherwise they wouldn't be putting Kerk out there right now, on the chance he re-injures himself.

There is just no way Seth can even make it a match. Seth is solid. Kerklevit is the worst possible style matchup for him. 

Im glad PSU has Seth though. I think Kerklevit will be injured on and off and maybe even miss a season or two. Heavyweights who have lingering issues is a challenge, especially a lighter heavyweight. 

48 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I'm guessing there are zero (0) PSU fans that will consider a guy like Trey Kibe a "villain", after committing to PSU, then de-committing, then signing with VT. 

Anyone who holds a grudge against an 18 year old kid for rethinking the most important decision of his life (at that point) needs to step back and reassess things. This is COLLEGE WRESTLING. 

Just curious: How many times did he commit?

(And Kerk is no Trey Kibe)

(...and how about the booing of Spencer Lee in PA after he committed to Iowa? (and he had never committed to PSU.) Short memories.

Edited by AHamilton