Plasmodium

Does Iowa recruit Iowa?

You are right.... thanks to FloWrestling, who mainly serves the interests of Tom Brands and John Smith, these coaches have a better 'eye'  now on the blue chips in PA.  Ever since FloWrestling bought the rights to the PIAA Wrestling Tournament, a PA resident can't watch the event on the local public tv anymore.  I remember watching my first PA finals on channel 13 in 1969.  Now, you have to buy a subscription from Flo to watch.  I am sure Brands and Smith get theirs for free.  A PA resident can watch cross country, baseball, basketball and football championships on PA public television but not wrestling.  Also, Young Guns is coached by a former Hawk and he is funneling these kids in that direction as well (Stritmatter).  But then, Penn State only has one PA kid in their line up and that is Starocci.  I like Penn State's chances.  Always have.  

Edited by The Downington Destroyer

ugh...

look up the schriever brothers...

how about drake ayala...

it is more of function of Iowa HS wrestling being suspect for awhile...

right now, the kids TJ has been coaching up for years are starting to get to the college age... expect many more Iowa kids to make waves...

or...

continue to wallow...

whatever...

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Almost all of Iowa's best wrestlers are PA kids:

Spencer Lee

Austin DeSanto

Max Murin

Kaleb Young

Michael Kemererer

right now...

as explained above...

duh...

but the Iowa pipeline is ramping up...

i forgot to mention caleb rathjen going to Iowa as well...

The Iowa coaching staff likely took a good, long, hard look at Iowa’s talent, and then wisely booked a flight to PA.

And thanks in large part to PA talent, it would require a massive coaching failure for Iowa to not win a title this year. 

Edited by Katie

18 minutes ago, Katie said:

The Iowa coaching staff likely took a good, long, hard look at Iowa’s talent, and then wisely booked a flight to PA.

And thanks in large part to PA talent, it would require a massive coaching failure for Iowa to not win a title this year. 

The coaches don't even need to show up.  Short of 50% of their starters being out with COVID Iowa wins in a LANDSLIDE of historic proportions.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The coaches don't even need to show up.  Short of 50% of their starters being out with COVID Iowa wins in a LANDSLIDE of historic proportions.

You might be right. At this point the coaches might be able to just sit back and watch as the Keystoners show the country how it’s done. 

1 hour ago, The Downington Destroyer said:

You are right.... thanks to FloWrestling, who mainly serves the interests of Tom Brands and John Smith, these coaches have a better 'eye'  now on the blue chips in PA.  Ever since FloWrestling bought the rights to the PIAA Wrestling Tournament, a PA resident can't watch the event on the local public tv anymore.  I remember watching my first PA finals on channel 13 in 1969.  Now, you have to buy a subscription from Flo to watch.  I am sure Brands and Smith get theirs for free.  A PA resident can watch cross country, baseball, basketball and football championships on PA public television but not wrestling.  Also, Young Guns is coached by a former Hawk and he is funneling these kids in that direction as well (Stritmatter).  But then, Penn State only has one PA kid in their line up and that is Starocci.  I like Penn State's chances.  Always have.  

There was a free stream last weekend not on Flo

The simple fact is that PA and to some extent OH have the population base, participation rates, and the accompanying coaching even to the middle school or youth level to produce depth not just produce a couple of club studs every few years. 

It’s why they’ve stayed so consistent over the years. It’s why I’m curious to see how southern wrestling goes the next few years. When I lived there the depth was severely lacking.

By comparison Penn State has 3 PA starters: Barlett, Starrocci and Beard.

Roster wide 16 of the 35 rostered PSU wrestlers are from PA.

Bartlett went to school in PA at Wyoming Seminary, but he is from Arizona.

Calling Bartlett a PA guy is like calling Mark Perry a NJ guy b/c he went to Blair Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Iowa, but while Nebraska has some native Nebraskans on the roster, I don't know how hard they hit the state either.  Some of the better wrestlers end up elsewhere (Trumble - NC State, Burks - OSU, arguably the best wrestler still in HS, Garrett Grice, is committed to Virginia).

I could be wrong on this as I see they have a couple 2021 commits and a 2022 from Nebraska.

Also, a kid can go where they want to!  

Edited by MonagFam

3 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Bartlett went to school in PA at Wyoming Seminary, but he is from Arizona.

Calling Bartlett a PA guy is like calling Mark Perry a NJ guy b/c he went to Blair Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would differentiate the two. The Bartlett family actually moved to Pa before Beau went to HS.  Mark Perry was a boarder at Blair. Technically he could be NJ from the standpoint of certain national events but clearly he was fairly well developed wrestling wise before going to Blair. 

Both wrestlers are a bit of both states they were involved in as are most in this situation. I think Perry more Okla, Bartlett- I don't know which is more but when people move it doesn't mean you discount the second location.

18 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I would differentiate the two. The Bartlett family actually moved to Pa before Beau went to HS.  Mark Perry was a boarder at Blair. Technically he could be NJ from the standpoint of certain national events but clearly he was fairly well developed wrestling wise before going to Blair. 

Both wrestlers are a bit of both states they were involved in as are most in this situation. I think Perry more Okla, Bartlett- I don't know which is more but when people move it doesn't mean you discount the second location.

Thanks for the background - didn't realize the family had moved.  PSU's roster lists his hometown as Tempe AZ.