Plasmodium

Does Iowa recruit Iowa?

16 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

This is one of the most common completely pointlessly pointed out things. 

i agree...

attaching any self worth to where a kid wrestles this year or that is one of the more ridiculous behaviors of this bbs...

24 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

if you say 'bbs' one more time i'm getting you banned. 

grow up 

hey little fella...

been a minute...

i will say, you asking for someone to "grow up" is the very definition of irony...

BTW...

BBS

2 hours ago, LJB said:

i agree...

attaching any self worth to where a kid wrestles this year or that is one of the more ridiculous behaviors of this bbs...

If it were solely about the kid, I would agree.  However, OVERALL recruiting for the school is VERY relevant.  Not just in top recruiting, but depth as well.  Why has Sanderson had so much more success at PSU than ISU?  Being the top school in PA vs. the 2nd school in Iowa is HUGE.  That is undeniable.  Having the inside track to UNDENIABLY the most talented and deepest state is a monumental advantage.  Especially when you are already such a good national recruiter.

The fact Iowa has even been able to get back into contention is a major achievement.  The funny thing is they had to do it by recruiting PA so hard and luckily getting kids(other than Lee) that PSU really didn't go after.  Strittmatter definitely didn't hurt.

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

If it were solely about the kid, I would agree.  However, OVERALL recruiting for the school is VERY relevant.  Not just in top recruiting, but depth as well.  Why has Sanderson had so much more success at PSU than ISU?  Being the top school in PA vs. the 2nd school in Iowa is HUGE.  That is undeniable.  Having the inside track to UNDENIABLY the most talented and deepest state is a monumental advantage.  Especially when you are already such a good national recruiter.

The fact Iowa has even been able to get back into contention is a major achievement.  The funny thing is they had to do it by recruiting PA so hard and luckily getting kids(other than Lee) that PSU really didn't go after.  Strittmatter definitely didn't hurt.

well, i think you took my comment past claiming one state or not for a HS kid by people who search for manufactured self worth a little farther than intended...

but...

i don't necessarily disagree with what you are trying to say...

there are top level recruits from all over this country and it has been proven many times over that college "success" is not totally dependent on where you go...

regardless...

BBS

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

well, i think you took my comment past claiming one state or not for a HS kid by people who search for manufactured self worth a little farther than intended...

but...

i don't necessarily disagree with what you are trying to say...

there are top level recruits from all over this country and it has been proven many times over that college "success" is not totally dependent on where you go...

regardless...

BBS

I completely agree with your overall point.  I still heavily follow Michigan wrestlers and even cheer for them when they wrestle for UofM(and that is NOT easy to do).  However, if Mark Hall is considered being from Minnesota instead of Michigan, I am not losing any sleep over it.  I don't blame guys at his level for trying to find the most competitive rooms possible to keep improving.

I only really follow where they are from, outside of Michigan, for recruiting purposes.  I think it definitely corresponds to why PSU jumped ahead of Iowa and OKState, why Minnesota dropped off and  why Illinois isn't near as good as they should be.

Finally, I also think UofM may have finally found the recruiting formula that works best for them.  Bring in a MONSTER to run your RTC and kids with ethnicities that allow them to wrestle for different countries.  I don't know if the latter part is sustainable, but man Beloglazov sure seems to have helped them make giant strides.

I really don’t understand why it’s hard for people to grasp that 9/10 the wrestlers from “weak” states who did well in college were club products with parents able/willing to get them on the national circuit. Vary rarely are they what one would consider homegrown or a product of the depth of competition where they are from.

Outside of PA and OH. You don’t see many Sulzers, Heflins, or Hargers who either only won 1 state title or did win one at all becoming DI AAs or champs. Those are just too top of head examples from last 5-6 years too. 

It’s always amusing how people from outside the rust belt plus Jersey get when basic data is presented. And to some extent rust belt teams that aren’t OH or PA. When stuff like this is discussed.. “yeah well, um we had a former DI coaches son who went to a prep school be an all-American for us 10 years ago” or “we have a nationally ranked kid who drives 2 hours to a club every day” and get butthurt about basic data being stated

It’s not even about “defending” one state honestly. It’s about people ignoring basic clear data. That’s not even getting into the fact most college coaches don’t even care about state titles anymore.. unless you’re from 2 particular states... it honestly seems ignorant and parochial to get so indignant about it

*Jersey, PA, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Minnesota are the the top tier states I’m mentioning btw.

HS wrestling overall is awful...

and yes, even in PA...

now, did it used to just seem "better" when everyone was at a substantially lower level while in HS before the proliferation of the club system?

my guess is 100% yes...

oh yeah...

BBS!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, LJB said:

HS wrestling overall is awful...

and yes, even in PA...

now, did it used to just seem "better" when everyone was at a substantially lower level while in HS before the proliferation of the club system?

my guess is 100% yes...

oh yeah...

BBS!!!!!!!

The age group wrestling wasn’t as good when there wasn’t a focus on over competing and specializing to be better at age group competitions??? 

No. Way. Who’d have thunk it. 

And yet. Certain places still do better in the next age group level.. hmmm .. shocking.

8 minutes ago, jp157 said:

The age group wrestling wasn’t as good when there wasn’t a focus on over competing and specializing to be better at age group competitions??? 

No. Way. Who’d have thunk it. 

And yet. Certain places still do better in the next age group level.. hmmm .. shocking.

"over competing" is a fallacy...

but, by all means carry on...

BBS!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

"over competing" is a fallacy...

but, by all means carry on...

BBS!!!!!!

It’s not? How so? I’m genuinely curious.. and of course you will explain in a clear answer and not evade. 

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

It’s not? How so? I’m genuinely curious.. and of course you will explain in a clear answer and not evade. 

because it is a simple generalization...

what you would no doubt readily call "burn out" is just as easily identified as "was never gonna do it"

BBS!!!!

1 minute ago, LJB said:

because it is a simple generalization...

what you would no doubt readily call "burn out" is just as easily identified as "was never gonna do it"

BBS!!!!

Lol. That’s quite interesting that someone in your position would say that. Despite every bit of science and interviews with legitimate coaches saying the opposite. 

Though I’m sure you competed over a hundred times a year and almost completely in one sport in your youth and scholastic wrestling career? Or other sport? So you say this from at least a position of experience?

3 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Lol. That’s quite interesting that someone in your position would say that. Despite every bit of science and interviews with legitimate coaches saying the opposite. 

Though I’m sure you competed over a hundred times a year and almost completely in one sport in your youth and scholastic wrestling career? Or other sport? So you say this from at least a position of experience?

someone in my position?

that is rich...

you still do not understand what my position is...

once you get a little more experience under your belt you might...

or not...

anyone can find any number of examples to support whatever opinion they want to have on the subject... having one hard line stance on it shows a specific personality trait...

the fact is, it depends entirely on the kid...

i could talk about personally racing over 40 weekends per year for 15 years... i could talk about being involved with kids doing that from the age of 5 on up... i could talk about how the vast majority of them had a great time doing it...

i could talk about traveling all over this country wrestling...

100 matches a year?

child's play...

some kids love it... some do not...

some continue on that path... some do not...

just like anything else in life...

again, keep your shtick going... 

or take a break...

i would hate for you to "over post" and ruin the rest of your childhood, son...

BBS!!!!!!

1 minute ago, LJB said:

someone in my position?

that is rich...

you still do not understand what my position is...

once you get a little more experience under your belt you might...

or not...

anyone can find any number of examples to support whatever opinion they want to have on the subject... having one hard line stance on it shows a specific personality trait...

the fact is, it depends entirely on the kid...

i could talk about personally racing over 40 weekends per year for 15 years... i could talk about being involved with kids doing that from the age of 5 on up... i could talk about how the vast majority of them had a great time doing it...

i could talk about traveling all over this country wrestling...

100 matches a year?

child's play...

some kids love it... some do not...

some continue on that path... some do not...

just like anything else in life...

again, keep your shtick going... 

or take a break...

i would hate for you to "over post" and ruin the rest of your childhood, son...

BBS!!!!!!

I’m aware of your “position” lol. Probably more than “you” realize lol. I think part of my position is that I care much less than you about little kid results.

And what the ratio of competition to practice should be and how it’s affecting technical development overall in the country can be debated.. I’ll grant you that. 

I also specifically asked if you had raced or done whatever sport, focusing on only that since you were 6 years old. Not if you were doing it once you were older and personally motivated. Nor did I ask if you were helping 5 year olds race. 

But hey, if Im guilty of caring more about kids wrestling and getting results at the high school, college and senior  level. Or hell, let’s be freestylers having them at the “Junior and Senior” more than I care about little kids competing hundreds of times.. and if I’m also guilty of wanting there to be both more high level coaches and for them to be spread out more so our country gets better  

lol I’m perfectly okay with that 

6 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I’m aware of your “position” lol. Probably more than “you” realize lol. I think part of my position is that I care much less than you about little kid results.

And what the ratio of competition to practice should be and how it’s affecting technical development overall in the country can be debated.. I’ll grant you that. 

I also specifically asked if you had raced or done whatever sport, focusing on only that since you were 6 years old. Not if you were doing it once you were older and personally motivated. Nor did I ask if you were helping 5 year olds race. 

But hey, if Im guilty of caring more about kids wrestling and getting results at the high school, college and senior  level. Or hell, let’s be freestylers having them at the “Junior and Senior” more than I care about little kids competing hundreds of times.. and if I’m also guilty of wanting there to be both more high level coaches and for them to be spread out more so our country gets better  

lol I’m perfectly okay with that 

You are as constant as the northern star...

you are most definitely not aware of my position because you made your mind up and never listened... it’s a rather typical personality trait in children and children who are just growing older...

as I have said many many times before, there is not one youth result that means fuk all...

I didn’t do anything as a kid that long... for reasons that even if I told you, you would disregard because you are not capable of introducing and processing anything other than what you have already decided on...

What I have done is be witness to and a part of many kids in multiple sports who have quit as a teenager because of a multitude of reasons and also many kids who have gone on to achieve at the highest level of their sport... and by highest level I mean world success and championships...

my own kids are doing just fine... no matter what you personally have made up in your own mind...

But, I’ll never grow tired of your shtick... please do keep it up... I’ll keep pointing and laughing at your own self aggrandizing...

BBS!!!!

Am reminded of during C.D. Mock's tenure at North Carolina, at one point there were three total kids from the state of North Carolina on the UNC roster, and one of the three was being recruited by Mock since he was about 15 seconds old (there's a loophole in there that allowed this, don't worry, gimp, both the UNC Compliance Department and the NCAA Committee on Infractions OKed it in this specific circumstance).

15 minutes ago, LJB said:

You are as constant as the northern star...

you are most definitely not aware of my position because you made your mind up and never listened... it’s a rather typical personality trait in children and children who are just growing older...

as I have said many many times before, there is not one youth result that means fuk all...

I didn’t do anything as a kid that long... for reasons that even if I told you, you would disregard because you are not capable of introducing and processing anything other than what you have already decided on...

What I have done is be witness to and a part of many kids in multiple sports who have quit as a teenager because of a multitude of reasons and also many kids who have gone on to achieve at the highest level of their sport... and by highest level I mean world success and championships...

my own kids are doing just fine... no matter what you personally have made up in your own mind...

But, I’ll never grow tired of your shtick... please do keep it up... I’ll keep pointing and laughing at your own self aggrandizing...

BBS!!!!

Dude, I never mentioned your kids. Jesus. 

I also specifically asked if you had done any sports that way not just wrestling. Which was inviting you to share your experience if you had any. You gave thorough answers right away for once.. so I left it at.. the crux of most of our disagreements has to do with you obviously caring more about little kid results than I do. Which okie dokie. Short sighted in my opinion but I was going to leave it at that. 

I’ve stayed quite civil and you have thrown bile, invective and whatever your pseudo-intellectual “shtick” is. And also brought up crap that was never once mentioned once in the corse of this discussion.  Keep it classy

13 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Am reminded of during C.D. Mock's tenure at North Carolina, at one point there were three total kids from the state of North Carolina on the UNC roster, and one of the three was being recruited by Mock since he was about 15 seconds old (there's a loophole in there that allowed this, don't worry, gimp, both the UNC Compliance Department and the NCAA Committee on Infractions OKed it in this specific circumstance).

Wasn’t one his son until he transferred as well