Plasmodium

Does Iowa recruit Iowa?

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Pretty sure DeSanto didn’t go to Young Guns.  Regardless, Iowa didn’t recruit him anyway unless you count Lee telling him to go there after DeSanto beat him, and he still went to Drexel first anyway.

So you are pretty sure DeSanto didn't go to Young Guns? How would you know whether he did or didn't?  And, if he didn't what would that prove?  Whether Iowa recruited him initially or he was an afterthought is irrelevant.  He is a Hawk, he is from PA. My point is without Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Young and Kemerer the Hawks aren't looking so tough.  Iowa is the beneficiary of PA high school blue chip talent.  They would have no other reason to go there without the 'encouragement' of a former Hawk who happened to be their club coach and mentor.  DeSanto initially  chose Drexel because it was closer to home, provided a smaller academic environment and accommodates special needs students nicely.  

9 minutes ago, The Downington Destroyer said:

So you are pretty sure DeSanto didn't go to Young Guns? How would you know whether he did or didn't?  And, if he didn't what would that prove?  Whether Iowa recruited him initially or he was an afterthought is irrelevant.  He is a Hawk, he is from PA. My point is without Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Young and Kemerer the Hawks aren't looking so tough.  Iowa is the beneficiary of PA high school blue chip talent.  They would have no other reason to go there without the 'encouragement' of a former Hawk who happened to be their club coach and mentor.  DeSanto initially  chose Drexel because it was closer to home, provided a smaller academic environment and accommodates special needs students nicely.  

It's relevant because the OP is titled "does Iowa recruit Iowa" and of course it was brought up that they are the favorites this year because they recruited in PA.  However they didn't recruit Desanto.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, LJB said:

100% agree...

asking the question in regards to only the Iowa program shows a clear agenda...

if there is racism in wrestling, it damn sure isn't just a one school related thing nor just a one race thing... 

Hey, you make good points. But I had and have no "agenda" with the question. Was honestly curious. Don't much care about Iowa wrestling one way or the other. And anyone who thinks kids/coaches/AD's don't think about this stuff is mistaken. Way back in my day, our program was actively trying to attract diverse kids.

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

You keep assuming I’m so young. You whine and whine and whine and whine, that I’ve made incorrect assumptions about you.. or better yet say I’m a liar because I don’t take you at your word..  

yet you keep saying incorrect things about me. 

You really aren’t used to people falling for your whole routine are you. The most hilarious part about all this is that you’re the one with the invective laden rants, attempting to be condescending, and the one being toxic during this thread. 

The most hilarious part about the whole thing that set you off this thread. Is your disproportionate response to me asking the basic question of if you had ever participated in training so heavily from a young age to speak with such “authority”. Yeah I threw in the jab about asking if you wrestled.. but I also specifically asked about other sports to make clear I was looking for an answer. So your disproportionate response and inability to graciously accept that I’ve  acknowledged some of your points is making me kinda feel bad.

Run along...

good boy...

**nik nik**

52 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Hey, you make good points. But I had and have no "agenda" with the question. Was honestly curious. Don't much care about Iowa wrestling one way or the other. And anyone who thinks kids/coaches/AD's don't think about this stuff is mistaken. Way back in my day, our program was actively trying to attract diverse kids.

There is no doubt they are forced to think about it...

whether or not that is good or bad is debatable...

personally, I think any D1 program who recruits based on anything other than will this kid will fit in my room is doing themselves and their athletes a disservice...

At any other level I think that dynamic changes and recruiting based on diversity has more merit...

9 hours ago, LJB said:

Exactly... no point... none at all...

so...

run along, son...

Seriously? Why are you being an ******* abouy my comment? How are you possibly offended by that? Tell me why Im wrong.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

**throws stick**

At least you stopped calling me son. My drinking problems started much too late in life for that to be true. 

What would your “dynamic changes” be to help diversify wrestling?

1 hour ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Seriously? Why are you being an ******* abouy my comment? How are you possibly offended by that? Tell me why Im wrong.

i can't take anyone seriously who whines about being "made fun of"

sorry not sorry...

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

At least you stopped calling me son. My drinking problems started much too late in life for that to be true. 

What would your “dynamic changes” be to help diversify wrestling?

your comprehension is at least as good as Jack the Corgi's...

but, you have been a bad boy... gonna have to stay outside tonight...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

your comprehension is at least as good as Jack the Corgi's...

but, you have been a bad boy... gonna have to stay outside tonight...

No I’m genuinely curious as to the dynamic changes. Especially ones that don’t appeal to the lowest common denominator 

3 minutes ago, jp157 said:

No I’m genuinely curious as to the dynamic changes. Especially ones that don’t appeal to the lowest common denominator 

swing and a miss...

you can try reading it again... sit their with your head cocked to the side... or just chase your tail all night...

either way, the back door is shut... food and water on the porch... maybe we can see if you are ready to come inside tomorrow...

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

swing and a miss...

you can try reading it again... sit their with your head cocked to the side... or just chase your tail all night...

either way, the back door is shut... food and water on the porch... maybe we can see if you are ready to come inside tomorrow...

Oh look. You not answering a basic direct question. I’m shocked and utterly surprised. 

It’ll get tiresome if the only only thing that gets you to reply directly and clearly is directly or indirectly challenging your “expertise”. 

So I’ll ask again. What dynamic changes along with diversity recruiting do you propose? And in what way do they not appeal to “the lowest common denominator”

4 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Im not asking for you to take me seriously. Im asking your opinion about the topic.

and i have already given it...

anything else might be too much for your sensitive constitution, so, in the interest of fair play, i will refrain...

Just now, jp157 said:

Oh look. You not answering a basic direct question. I’m shocked and utterly surprised. 

It’ll get tiresome if the only only thing that gets you to reply directly and clearly is directly or indirectly challenging your “expertise”. 

So I’ll ask again. What dynamic changes along with diversity recruiting do you propose? And in what way do they not appeal to “the lowest common denominator”

are you going to bark allnight?

**rolls up newspaper**

3 hours ago, The Downington Destroyer said:

Desanto is not a young guns guy. He's from the complete other side of the state.

Why is the PA thing supposed to be an own? "Iowa wouldn't be nearly as good if they didn't sign a bunch of elite blue chip recruits?" Didn't realize it was cheating to recruit out of state. Might want to tell Cael. 7/10 of his starting lineup is from out of state (8 if you count Bartlett as AZ).

17 minutes ago, LJB said:

and i have already given it...

anything else might be too much for your sensitive constitution, so, in the interest of fair play, i will refrain...

You didnt tho. I asked for clarification and you resorted to this stuff. I think you have actually misunderstood where I was coming from.

1 minute ago, Drake_Mallard said:

You didnt tho. I asked for clarification and you resorted to this stuff. I think you have actually misunderstood where I was coming from.

i guess i will just have to try and live with that...

Just now, Drake_Mallard said:

Im just trying to talk about the topic. Why cant you do that?

because i already have and you whined about being made fun of which i find equally sad and amusing...

what's the point past that?