Sign in to follow this  
Hofman19

Dake Wins the 2013 Hodge...

Why the hell don't they list the points each wrestler earned in the voting? Why does everything have to be so difficult?

It says in the link that Dake got 41 of 43 votes and Ed Ruth got the other two...

Right, but that does not answer the simple question of how many points each wrestler earned. I believe the top point earners were:

1. Dake 178

2. Ruth 89

3 Oliver 88

4 L Steiber ??

Why won't they just list them? Sry for bitching, having a crap day. Just don't understand why wrestling makes things so much more difficult to follow and get info that other sports. I really don't care much about how many points each guy got. Dake was the obvious winner this year.

(shakes head)

That's the attitude that drives me nuts. Whether it be streaming issues, info on the sport itself, ideas to improve mainstream appeal (like a date change), raise money, etc, etc.. There is such pushback. i Just don't get it.

Why the hell don't they list the points each wrestler earned in the voting? Why does everything have to be so difficult?

Why won't they just list them? Sry for bitching, having a crap day. Just don't understand why wrestling makes things so much more difficult to follow and get info that other sports. I really don't care much about how many points each guy got. Dake was the obvious winner this year.

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

I'm curious to know how many points each earned but I don't really care that much. I guess the reason I posted about it is b/c it just seems like another example (albeit a nit) of wrestling not "dotting their i's". Kind of like when you sit down to watch a match being streamed and they don't start the streaming until half way through 125. Why not start it 5 minutes early? Why not list the points for the Hodge? How can you have guys calling the match say things like "stallmate"? Jesus Christ. I can go on, but you guys know what I am talking about. There are countless examples.

At this point in time I view amateur wrestling second only the the NFL as the most entertaining sport to watch. It drives me nuts that so few see it this way. So every time I see something that detracts from the sport (no matter how big or small, it jumps out at me). Probably didn't need to call this one out b/c it is such minutiae, but I did.

Two interesting points.

1. The 2 votes for Ed Ruth came from the fans. According to the press release from WIN, the fan vote counted for 2 of the 43 votes, and the winner among the 2500 voters was Ruth.

2. Since all former Hodge winners also get a vote -- and since all non-fan votes went to Dake -- that means that Cael himself voted for Dake over Ruth (unless he abstained).

Two interesting points.

1. The 2 votes for Ed Ruth came from the fans. According to the press release from WIN, the fan vote counted for 2 of the 43 votes, and the winner among the 2500 voters was Ruth.

2. Since all former Hodge winners also get a vote -- and since all non-fan votes went to Dake -- that means that Cael himself voted for Dake over Ruth (unless he abstained).

Point number 2 is interesting, indeed... I wonder if Cael did end up voting for Dake (who, by the criteria, should have won) after all.

BAC raises the interesting possibility of Cael abstaining. This bears the question of SHOULD he abstain. The question, I believe, only applies to him since he's the only Hodge winner as a head coach right, but should a coach with a Hodge candidate abstain or should he vote? I think it's probably ok either way, but will it be an issue if in the future a guy wins by a vote and his coach is a voter?

BAC raises the interesting possibility of Cael abstaining. This bears the question of SHOULD he abstain. The question, I believe, only applies to him since he's the only Hodge winner as a head coach right, but should a coach with a Hodge candidate abstain or should he vote? I think it's probably ok either way, but will it be an issue if in the future a guy wins by a vote and his coach is a voter?
My interpretation of Cael abstaining is that he wanted to make a point that he feels the best wrestler in his view didn't win on points while at the same time realizing that the Hodge point system is based primarily on wins and losses and points scored. It's quite a statement without actually making one.

My interpretation of Cael abstaining is that he wanted to make a point that he feels the best wrestler in his view didn't win on points while at the same time realizing that the Hodge point system is based primarily on wins and losses and points scored. It's quite a statement without actually making one.

Cael DID abstain?

I would have figured he voted for Dake.

I skimmed through this and got the impression that he abstained. I don't know that he did. My mistake for making that assumption unless it's true. I'm working and skimming, and posting (which is not always a good idea, but I'm my own boss (at work) lacking discipline sometimes).

I skimmed through this and got the impression that he abstained. I don't know that he did. My mistake for making that assumption unless it's true. I'm working and skimming, and posting (which is not always a good idea, but I'm my own boss (at work) lacking discipline sometimes).

I think it's a ligitimate question. Fans would like to know.... :D

The article didnt give the impression that Cael abstained - we will probably never know.

As to whether he SHOULD abstain - I think he probably should. (In my field that would be a prohibited conflict of interest). Obviously, he would want one of his wrestlers to win it, and this may play into his vote. Not saying it did because I think Cael is the consummate professional, but it's only normal that it would. And, what about next year (probably) when Ruth and Taylor will both be strong contenders for the Hodge. Would he or should he abstain?