Jimmy Cinnabon

Kyle "The Lion Tamer" Dake

5 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

It’s a smart position, but dear god let us analyze this to death, this is the first time in a while we have used the board for what it’s for rather than descending into personal or political bickering where I have to mute everyone to find wrestling posts.

Prediction: Dake 2-1. One comfy win one close loss one close win.
Confidence level: VERY low. Would not bet on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally laughed out loud!  :)  Thank you sir!  And point made!

@dman115 if you really are a JB fan....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Btw that Taylor guy he wrestled has won a few things over some capable guys.
#Cheers sir. Enjoy the show.
*Also eager to see if Imar gets full out-horsed by Dake or game plans specifically for him like he did JB.
** Also Nolf didn't look awful, just got 4'd wonder if there's a little potential there.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

The continual argument people are making though is "he's crushing to golds and JB is winning bronze"

I'm the biggest Chamizo homer on this board, but Chamizo hasn't split with JB it's like 1-4 or something like that and Dake's result obviously wasn't convincing..

Driving but yeah, I just keep pointing to the weakness that has been 79kg cause people are using that gold as an indicator and I don't like it.

I'm not 100% convinced JB wins but maybe 70.45%

That’s not the continual argument. A select few may say that but you can’t take that seriously. Even if you just look at this thread, the main argument is simply that Dake has improved while JB may have not and arguably has lost a step. I don’t know how you can objectively argue too hard that that’s a bad take.

Chamizo having a losing record against JB wasn’t my point. “Split” wasn’t literally meant as 50%. Chamizo is one of the few to beat JB and he is always a legit threat to do it again. He counts as a highest quality opponent. Convincing or not, Dake beat him and that is an important data point. If you’re going to use Hasanov as your straw man, you’re letting your Dake bias get the best of you. He’s done a little more than beat Hasanov....

That’s not the continual argument. A select few may say that but you can’t take that seriously. Even if you just look at this thread, the main argument is simply that Dake has improved while JB may have not and arguably has lost a step. I don’t know how you can objectively argue too hard that that’s a bad take.

Chamizo having a losing record against JB wasn’t my point. “Split” wasn’t literally meant as 50%. Chamizo is one of the few to beat JB and he is always a legit threat to do it again. He counts as a highest quality opponent. Convincing or not, Dake beat him and that is an important data point. If you’re going to use Hasanov as your straw man, you’re letting your Dake bias get the best of you. He’s done a little more than beat Hasanov....
Fair.
He's great and maybe I'm just used to arguing with lesser informed people everytime Dake crushes and "he's coming for JB" is said...
I think it's still super close (I've never thought Dake wasn't world class) and if he was from Serbia I'd say those 4 are your Olympic front runners. (Dake, Chamizo, JB, Russia).
Personally I just haven't bought into the "he's improved" that much.... I think we have just seen him more.
At the end of the day JB is explosive (almost unstoppable) offense and Dake is an explosive (almost impenetrable) counter scorer.
I personally like JB for this win and a strong factor is I don't think Dake can come back if he falls behind. If he gets a chest wrap early though.... Maybe he can hold on... But also his late match conditioning has seemed a little rough, I don't know if that's just a covid/lack of full matches thing or what, but be always looks exhausted and I wonder if JB could close the gap even if he gives up an early 4 .... Sorry vomitting words, as I drive through Louisiana

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

@dman115 if you really are a JB fan....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Btw that Taylor guy he wrestled has won a few things over some capable guys.
#Cheers sir. Enjoy the show.
*Also eager to see if Imar gets full out-horsed by Dake or game plans specifically for him like he did JB.
** Also Nolf didn't look awful, just got 4'd wonder if there's a little potential there.

All fair points.  Like I said...I sure hope I am wrong in my prediction.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, spladle08 said:

Yet he is unlikely to make his own Olympic team and the guy who beats him will be a coinflip to win the title. 
I thought Chamizo would lose a close one (He almost actually won), I just knew that match would open the eyes of Dake Fans... but I was wrong
I swear he could Dake Bomb 5 soccer moms and the fact that JB isn't competing against those same moms somehow diminishes his abilities. 
There needs to be checking of one's self before wrecking one's self 

And to think it was not so long ago that Taylor was everyone’s fantasy match hero. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I think a lot of what I think is based on my belief that this statement about JB used to be true but isn't so much anymore.

This is pretty much it for me. Otherwise I'd be heavily favoring JB. The way to beat Dake is to take his positioning and scrambling out of the picture by sitting him on his ass repeatedly. JB's ability to do that has declined over time in my view, and the question is whether it's declined to the point that Dake can consistently fend him off.

When you lose power (that "pop" that's hard to quantify), you don't lose it linearly. The slight edge you have over someone can suddenly be gone and now you're on a leveled field. I'm not convinced this is the case, but from watching JB closely his whole career, I do think he has lost a step. He may have had a step to lose and still prevail, very possible. I remember watching JB against Jake Herbert in practice and JB would blow through Jake like he weighed 120 lbs. The power is hard to describe in words, you had to see and hear it live. Unless JB is on PEDs, which I strongly believe he's not, there's no way he hasn't lost a step at 32.

Dake being just two years behind is a common argument that I think is irrelevant. Dake's style is so different than JB's, much less reliant on that uncanny speed and power combination that is JB's hallmark. Dake relies on static strength more than explosion and can beat almost anyone in a highly tactical match by shutting down and waiting. JB is incredible, but more one-dimensional.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I give Dake 18 seconds before he turns his back, clutches his forehead, and acts like a Euro futballer

dake absolutely lost the match in 2017 because his whining got on the nerves of an otherwise quality ref...

i feel like he has recognized that as a problem and has it under control more... i don't think we have seen those kinds of shenanigans from him since...

i could be totally wrong...