Perry

Will PSU Defend Their Crown?

Penn State remains the defending national champs, but maybe for just a few more weeks. The addition of kirk is big, he could potentially challenge for the title and is likely to get some bonus on the way regardless of final outcome (and also boots Cass down a peg for Iowa). Will Iowa finally end the drought and get another first place trophy added to their collection? How close do you guys think ncaas will ultimately be?

24 minutes ago, Perry said:

Penn State remains the defending national champs, but maybe for just a few more weeks. The addition of kirk is big, he could potentially challenge for the title and is likely to get some bonus on the way regardless of final outcome (and also boots Cass down a peg for Iowa). Will Iowa finally end the drought and get another first place trophy added to their collection? How close do you guys think ncaas will ultimately be?

Iowa's ultra experienced team has a 90 point lead over PSU in some recent tournament rankings. 

Think about these considerations:

1. Iowa may be sending out the single most experienced team in NCAA history.

2. PSU may be sending out the least experienced podium quality (as collegiate starters)  team in NCAA history.

3. Due to COVID the PSU freshmen have even less experience in a PSU singlet facing starting competition than past freshmen. In other words, Howard, Bartlett, Joe Lee, Carter Starocci, Michael Beard and Greg Kerkvliet have a fraction of the starting matches right now that their predecessors like Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf and Nickal had entering their first post seasons.

4. Seedings matter. Iowa will head into both tournaments with ultra HIGH seeds. PSU freshman have to come from way off the pack, at least at Big10's. 

Iowa has it all going their way. If PSU even comes close to Iowa this may well be Cael Sanderson's finest coaching job ever.

Edited by TBar1977

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Iowa's ultra experienced team has a 90 point lead over PSU in some recent tournament rankings. 

Think about these considerations:

1. Iowa may be sending out the single most experienced team in NCAA history.

2. PSU may be sending out the least experienced podium quality (as collegiate starters)  team in NCAA history.

3. Due to COVID the PSU freshmen have even less experience in a PSU singlet facing starting competition than past freshmen. In other words, Howard, Bartlett, Joe Lee, Carter Starocci, Michael Beard and Greg Kerkvliet have a fraction of the starting matches right now that their predecessors like Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf and Nickal had entering their first post seasons.

4. Seedings matter. Iowa will head into both tournaments with ultra HIGH seeds. PSU freshman have to come from way off the pack, at least at Big10's. 

Iowa has it all going their way. If PSU even comes close to Iowa this may well be Cael Sanderson's finest coaching job ever.

So ... you are saying Iowa has a shot at upsetting the defending champs?  ;)

If Iowa does anything less than dominate the team race, it would be a shocking and bitter disappointment. 

These past few years, Iowa did everything right. They abandoned the so-called Iowa style of angrily pushing forward with no real offense. They stopped all the juvenile mean mugging. And they imported a whole stable PA wrestlers who can actually wrestle and who behave like adult humans.

There is some good decision-making going on in Iowa City, that I can tell you. 

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's amazing how it's been set up by some of you that, really, Iowa's championship (if they win) is really PSU's championship.  Some next level red-pilling.

No one honestly believes that.

A LANDSLIDE Iowa win is as close to a guaranteed thing as is possible in sports.  It's going to be a glorious victory for Iowa fans and should be well in hand prior to the finals.

The battle for 2nd will be interesting but the only question is whether Iowa wins the title by 60 points or 80 points. 

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's amazing how it's been set up by some of you that, really, Iowa's championship (if they win) is really PSU's championship.  Some next level red-pilling.

OK, they way you put that is a bridge too far.

But seriously, what is actually the bigger accomplishment? Having the most experienced team in NCAA history replete with even high caliber transfers like Eierman and Desanto doing exactly what everyone thinks should happen i.e. winning NCAAs. They were favored by 90+ points last week. Sheesh. 

OR

PSU with 6 freshmen even making it somewhat respectable? 

In a lot of peoples eyes the latter is probably the harder accomplishment. 

It won't be so in your eyes and that's fine, because you, an Iowa super fan, should revel in an NCAA title. But a lot of other people will be talking about this young PSU team and how they competed and made it interesting. 

Edited by TBar1977

Just now, TBar1977 said:

But seriously, what is actually the bigger accomplishment? Having the most experienced team in NCAA history replete with even high caliber transfers like Eierman and Desanto doing exactly what everyone thinks should happen i.e. winning NCAA

OR

It won't be so in your eyes and that's fine, because you, an Iowa super fan, should revel in an NCAA title. But a lot of other people will be talking about this young PSU team and how they competed and made it interesting. 

Dude.  You've won 8 of the last 9 NCAA championships and you're putting out your best possible line up.  You don't get to try to lionize some other finish right now.  You're not Minnesota or Nebraska (sorry to their fans).

Just now, VakAttack said:

Dude.  You've won 8 of the last 9 NCAA championships and you're putting out your best possible line up.  You don't get to try to lionize some other finish right now.  You're not Minnesota or Nebraska (sorry to their fans).

What, have you co opted the first amendment? 

Who are you to say what people can and cannot talk about? You are going to single handedly make non Iowa wrestling fans hate Iowa fans in one single year. That may be the biggest achievement of them all. 

I did the B1G interactive bracket thing that @bracketbuster made for us, and it ended up coming out to 144 for Iowa and 139 for Penn State.  Penn State tends to improve for NCAAs from B1Gs, so I could see it happening.

I'm not a Penn Stater, either, chumps, and I don't have any crazy upsets happening anywhere in the bracket.

Flame me all you want for my obvious Michigander homerisms:

Projected (this includes bonus):

Place-School-Projected
1-Iowa-144
2-Penn State-138.5
3-Michigan-108.5
4-Ohio State-96.5
5-Nebraska-85
6-Michigan State-77.5
7-Northwestern-71
8-Minnesota-60.5
9-Purdue-38.5
10-Illinois-38
11-Rutgers-38
12-Wisconsin-20.5
13-Indiana-13
14-Maryland-4

To seeds(no bonus):

Place-School-To Seed
1-Iowa-150
2-Penn State-99
3-Michigan-93.5
4-Nebraska-89.5
5-Minnesota-82.5
6-Ohio State-66.5
7-Illinois-61.5
8-Rutgers-44
9-Northwestern-42.5
10-Purdue-42.5
11-Michigan State-39.5
12-Wisconsin-37.5
13-Indiana-9.5
14-Maryland-2

I have Kerk and Bartlett heavily outperforming their seeds.  Penn State just has a lot of room to improve, and they have the talent to improve in those spots, whereas Iowa pretty much only has room to do worse.

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

OK, they way you put that is a bridge too far.

But seriously, what is actually the bigger accomplishment? Having the most experienced team in NCAA history replete with even high caliber transfers like Eierman and Desanto doing exactly what everyone thinks should happen i.e. winning NCAAs. They were favored by 90+ points last week. Sheesh. 

OR

Uh, you ARE aware that your team is training with the likes of Gilman, Nolf, Vincenzo, Retherford, Bo, Taylor, Snyder and the coaches, correct? It's not like they will be inexperienced quartering the single leg stalling from top position. 

Edited by Daybreak

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

What, have you co opted the first amendment? 

Who are you to say what people can and cannot talk about? You are going to single handedly make non Iowa wrestling fans hate Iowa fans in one single year. That may be the biggest achievement of them all. 

I'm not preventing you from saying it, but it's a laughable thing to say.  Yes, prior to today Iowa fans were beloved throughout the wrestling world.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I did the B1G interactive bracket thing that @bracketbuster made for us, and it ended up coming out to 144 for Iowa and 139 for Penn State.  Penn State tends to improve for NCAAs from B1Gs, so I could see it happening.

I'm not a Penn Stater, either, chumps, and I don't have any crazy upsets happening anywhere in the bracket.

Flame me all you want for my obvious Michigander homerisms:

Projected (this includes bonus):

Place-School-Projected
1-Iowa-144
2-Penn State-138.5
3-Michigan-108.5
4-Ohio State-96.5
5-Nebraska-85
6-Michigan State-77.5
7-Northwestern-71
8-Minnesota-60.5
9-Purdue-38.5
10-Illinois-38
11-Rutgers-38
12-Wisconsin-20.5
13-Indiana-13
14-Maryland-4

To seeds(no bonus):

Place-School-To Seed
1-Iowa-150
2-Penn State-99
3-Michigan-93.5
4-Nebraska-89.5
5-Minnesota-82.5
6-Ohio State-66.5
7-Illinois-61.5
8-Rutgers-44
9-Northwestern-42.5
10-Purdue-42.5
11-Michigan State-39.5
12-Wisconsin-37.5
13-Indiana-9.5
14-Maryland-2

I have Kerk and Bartlett heavily outperforming their seeds.  Penn State just has a lot of room to improve, and they have the talent to improve in those spots, whereas Iowa pretty much only has room to do worse.

The issue for Penn State will be the same one they usually benefit from, when you go to NCAAs, there's more matches for the studs to get separation.  The smaller brackets of B1Gs have led to them being close (or even PSU outright losing) when they ran away at the Big Dance.

5 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Uh, you ARE aware that your team is training with the likes of Gilman, Nolf, Vincenzo, Retherford, Bo, Taylor, Snyder and the coaches, correct? It's not like they will be inexperienced quartering the single leg stalling from top position. 

Yes, I am aware of these facts. They are still inexperienced as PSU starting wrestlers so Ima gonna go with that because it fits nicely into the narrative. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They shouldn't be within 40 at NCAAs against this Iowa juggernaut. 

Exactly. A competitive team race would mean there has been a massive and unforgivable failure at Iowa City.  

Edited by Katie

PSU is a contender. Iowa needs to bring their A game and it will not be easy. I think it'll be close. With that said, and as a PA resident, I'll be rooting against PSU, except for Starocci...until he's against Kemerer. 

Edited by Daybreak