headshuck

Taylor’s Abundance

51 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Carl really does have an interesting relationship with the truth.

You hear this all of the time from Iowa's fan base.  What exactly do you think the guy lies about?  Is it that he said he didn't expect his guy back this year?  How is that a lie?  About Taylor missing the match - how is Cael even in the mix on that one? What possible reason could Taylor have to not wrestle other than concern / caution?   Do you think he is Ducking ?  Lack of interest in a payday?

After getting pounded for a decade with nothing to do except shoot squirrels and watch the corn and hogs grow, the hurt has grown strong.  

8 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

You hear this all of the time from Iowa's fan base.  What exactly do you think the guy lies about?  Is it that he said he didn't expect his guy back this year?  How is that a lie?  About Taylor missing the match - how is Cael even in the mix on that one? What possible reason could Taylor have to not wrestle other than concern / caution?   Do you think he is Ducking ?  Lack of interest in a payday?

After getting pounded for a decade with nothing to do except shoot squirrels and watch the corn and hogs grow, the hurt has grown strong.  

LOL I'm a Northeasterner.  I grew up loving the PSU teams of the late 80s and early 90s.  I was coached in college by a PSU all-American.

Cael is a great coach.  Maybe the best.  He has already produced many NCAA all-time greats, who have fantastic styles, and are fun to watch.  

I also like the Brands brothers, and am a fan of the recent Iowa teams because of their style.  They are fun to watch, and very good, and (mostly) seem like good kids.  I am not an Iowa diehard by any means.

But I will say that I didn't like the way Cael did Bobby Douglas at Iowa State, only to leave shortly thereafter.  

And yes, Cael does lie.  "Suriano is drilling in the room right now!"

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Carl really does have an interesting relationship with the truth.

Pretty much all those coaches do really shady stuff, particularly while recruiting...Cael seems particularly willing to say something he knows will later be exposed. He doesn't care about his reputation at all, I think I like him more for it.

3 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Pretty much all those coaches do really shady stuff, particularly while recruiting...Cael seems particularly willing to say something he knows will later be exposed. He doesn't care about his reputation at all, I think I like him more for it.

Interesting points.

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

LOL I'm a Northeasterner.  I grew up loving the PSU teams of the late 80s and early 90s.  I was coached in college by a PSU all-American.

Cael is a great coach.  Maybe the best.  He has already produced many NCAA all-time greats, who have fantastic styles, and are fun to watch.  

I also like the Brands brothers, and am a fan of the recent Iowa teams because of their style.  They are fun to watch, and very good, and (mostly) seem like good kids.  I am not an Iowa diehard by any means.

But I will say that I didn't like the way Cael did Bobby Douglas at Iowa State, only to leave shortly thereafter.  

Fair - I think.  I'm not sure that Nick wasn't in the room -- he's kind of obsessive it seems.  It's also not a good idea to share your wrestlers weaknesses.  I would be reticent to Brand him a liar about that particular item.   He seems like an honest guy to me.  

Vis a vis Douglass, my view after 40 years of working is that careers are hard.  Someone offers you a great gig you have to look out for your family.  Someone offers you an even better gig, same thing.  Rinse and repeat until you are bulletproof.  Anyone who doesn't sieze opportunities will be left behind.  In hindsight both were absolutely the right decisions for him I would posit. 

Appreciate the fair-minded response.  Carpe diem. Cheers. 

3 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Fair - I think.  I'm not sure that Nick wasn't in the room -- he's kind of obsessive it seems.  It's also not a good idea to share your wrestlers weaknesses.  I would be reticent to Brand him a liar about that particular item.   He seems like an honest guy to me.  

Vis a vis Douglass, my view after 40 years of working is that careers are hard.  Someone offers you a great gig you have to look out for your family.  Someone offers you an even better gig, same thing.  Rinse and repeat until you are bulletproof.  Anyone who doesn't sieze opportunities will be left behind.  In hindsight both were absolutely the right decisions for him I would posit. 

Likewise!

7 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Warms my heart when people just get along. 

14 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Your Douglas point came up in the other thread, too, and I'll stipulate it for these purposes as well taken, even though sometimes those situations aren't what they seem.

Regardless of any nuances, that point, the comical Suriano anecdote, and the Nevills points in other threads, speak to something that does seem to be part of the package with him:  a certain quality that you could use the terms cold, calculating, and ruthless -- in a descriptive or pejorative sense, depending on your point of view -- to describe. 

This seems to me like a close cousin to the famous cold blooded Tom Brands quotes from the ESPN series where he distinguishes between deserving and earning (and Brands staying at Foxcatcher to train after the murder).  In looking at these guys as whole people, there is a hard quality that has got to be part of that picture to achieve what they have as athletes and then as coaches in an endeavor where you have to start over again every competition.

I think the people in Cael World -- like the Nevills, who are at something like a combined 10 years in State College -- recognize and accept this part of Sanderson at face value and see that as a necessary part of that world.  And that someone like James English might say that knowing he had to earn rather than deserve his success was part of what allowed him to do the amazing things he did.