Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State - diverse stars

Wrestling as a whole in America is not very diverse in terms of race.  At the K-12 level, in excess of 90% of participants in folkstyle wrestling are white.  As of the 2016 census, the three largest racial groups comprising America's population were non-Hispanic whites (60%), Hispanic (18%) and Black (13%).

That is why it's even more admirable that a program like Penn State has had so many wrestlers of color (WOC) that have excelled.  For instance, just from the last decade or so:

• Bubba Jenkins 3xAA, 1x champ (at ASU)
  • Phil Davis 4xAA, 1x champ
  • Ed Ruth 4xAA, 3x champ
  • Jimmy Lawson AA
  • Shakur Rasheed AA
  • Kyle Conel AA
  • Mark Hall 3xAA, 2x champ
  • RBY AA
  • Starrocci
  • Barlett
  • Brooks
  • Kerkvliet

I'm proud to be a fan of a team that has a history of diverse wrestlers excelling, on and off the mat!

Not to open a can of worms but it’s really not “that diverse” as all of the wrestlers you mentioned are of the same ethnic group. A team Arizona St comes to mind with Norfleet at 197,  Valencia’s and Munoz in addition to the white guys. That’s 4 ethnicities In 1 lineup

9 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Not to open a can of worms but it’s really not “that diverse”

I heard a guy from Pennsylvania on the radio today say, "Pennsylvania has two kinds of people, one kind lives in Philly and Pittsburgh and the other kind lives in between and we call them Alabama."

He's such a big fan of PSU's diversity that he doesn't even know the name of arguably the best or second best wrestler in the history of the program.

What a fraud this guy is. And knows no wrestling prior to about 2015.

5 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I heard a guy from Pennsylvania on the radio today say, "Pennsylvania has two kinds of people, one kind lives in Philly and Pittsburgh and the other kind lives in between and we call them Alabama."

My friend's mom was a sociology professor at PSU.  She had told me something very very similar way back in the day.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

My friend's mom was a sociology professor at PSU.  She had told me something very very similar way back in the day.

"Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between."  

8 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Wrestling as a whole in America is not very diverse in terms of race.  At the K-12 level, in excess of 90% of participants in folkstyle wrestling are white.  As of the 2016 census, the three largest racial groups comprising America's population were non-Hispanic whites (60%), Hispanic (18%) and Black (13%).

That is why it's even more admirable that a program like Penn State has had so many wrestlers of color (WOC) that have excelled.  For instance, just from the last decade or so:

• Ed Ruth 4xAA, 3x champ
  • Jimmy Lawson AA
  • Shakur Rasheed AA
  • Kyle Conel AA
  • RBY AA
  • Starrocci
  • Barlett
  • Brooks
  • Kerkvliet

I'm proud to be a fan of a team that has a history of diverse wrestlers excelling, on and off the mat!

Watching them the last couple of weeks I was struck by the current team having four terrific Black starters each with legit championship potential,  clearly a rarity if not unique, but I thought that the interesting historical context wasn't to then go back and aggregate them with any Black wrestlers (absent McCoy as noted) who were ever at the school, regardless of coach and including ones whose best success was at other schools. 

Instead, the really interesting point to me was to consider this current team and its notable Black core within the Sanderson era. Specifically that era famously began with major rancor over one of the wrestlers on the list -- who left on very bad terms and who felt unwelcome and not treated fairly by a white coach from Utah, and who then pinned that coach's golden boy in a revenge tinged national final and then jumped into his two Black coaches' arms.

If there was ever a question of whether that would be a sign of trouble on the diversity front, the subsequent success of key Black wrestlers answered that, and the current extraordinary team speaks volumes for the guy who went 159-0 for and won a gold medal with Bobby Douglas. 

6 minutes ago, drag it said:

If there was ever a question of whether that would be a sign of trouble on the diversity front, the subsequent success of key Black wrestlers answered that, and the current extraordinary team speaks volumes for the guy who went 159-0 for and won a gold medal with Bobby Douglas. 

... and then the great Bobby Douglas had a sudden urge to "step down" at Iowa State.

I don't get why or how people would be offended by the post... bizarre. 

As someone who spent a lot of my life in PA wrestling, I think it's cool that PSU has embraced diversity the way they have.  It's great for the sport to get as many people exposed to wrestling as possible. A lot of the reason wrestling is not more popular is just a lack of exposure.  

5 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Not to open a can of worms but it’s really not “that diverse” as all of the wrestlers you mentioned are of the same ethnic group. A team Arizona St comes to mind with Norfleet at 197,  Valencia’s and Munoz in addition to the white guys. That’s 4 ethnicities In 1 lineup

Schultz is really a type of bear so that might make it 5. 

10 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I'm pretty certain it's the poster...

Agreed...didn't see anyone "offended" by the post but rather the person making it.  Once again someone making it "dramatic" or "controversial" when it doesn't need to be.

I personally am not sure why people feel the need to call out PSU, Iowa, or any other place or topic in regards to race...what is the intent of doing so?  To recognize what?  Those are serious questions and not trying to be argumentative...I just don't understand it.

19 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

• Ed Ruth 4xAA, 3x champ
  • Jimmy Lawson AA
  • Shakur Rasheed AA
  • Kyle Conel AA
  • RBY AA
  • Starrocci
  • Barlett
  • Brooks
  • Kerkvliet

If Kyle Conel excelled at PSU, that's news to me.  He went 3-3 in his PSU career, with his best win over a #34 ranked wrestler.

19 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

• Ed Ruth 4xAA, 3x champ
  • Jimmy Lawson AA
  • Shakur Rasheed AA
  • Kyle Conel AA
  • RBY AA
  • Starrocci
  • Barlett
  • Brooks
  • Kerkvliet

What about Carl, aren't Mormans a minority?

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Agreed...didn't see anyone "offended" by the post but rather the person making it.  Once again someone making it "dramatic" or "controversial" when it doesn't need to be.

I personally am not sure why people feel the need to call out PSU, Iowa, or any other place or topic in regards to race...what is the intent of doing so?  To recognize what?  Those are serious questions and not trying to be argumentative...I just don't understand it.

"pandering" and "trolling"