Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State - diverse stars

Recommended Posts

On 2/25/2021 at 2:14 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Wrestling as a whole in America is not very diverse in terms of race.  At the K-12 level, in excess of 90% of participants in folkstyle wrestling are white.  As of the 2016 census, the three largest racial groups comprising America's population were non-Hispanic whites (60%), Hispanic (18%) and Black (13%).

That is why it's even more admirable that a program like Penn State has had so many wrestlers of color (WOC) that have excelled.  For instance, just from the last decade or so:

  • Bubba Jenkins 3xAA, 1x champ (at ASU)
  • Phil Davis 4xAA, 1x champ
  • Ed Ruth 4xAA, 3x champ
  • Jimmy Lawson AA
  • Shakur Rasheed AA
  • Kyle Conel AA
  • Mark Hall 3xAA, 2x champ
  • RBY AA
  • Starrocci
  • Barlett
  • Brooks
  • Kerkvliet

I'm proud to be a fan of a team that has a history of diverse wrestlers excelling, on and off the mat!

 

FYI, there was no federal census in 2016.  The first Federal Population Census was taken in 1790, and has been taken every ten years since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maximus Meridius said:

FYI, there was no federal census in 2016.  The first Federal Population Census was taken in 1790, and has been taken every ten years since. 

Not just that, but he also claimed hispanic as a race. Hispanics can be of any race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not just that, but he also claimed hispanic as a race. Hispanics can be of any race. 

and he mentioned only the "three largest ... groups" what about the true minorities? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of  kudos for celebrating and acknowledging some diversity in an otherwise white sport,  the response is pretty revealing.   Seems pretty clear that most of the negative responders on here likely live somewhere in between Philly or Pitt - and if you prefer, you can call it Alabama or Kentucky.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

Instead of  kudos for celebrating and acknowledging some diversity in an otherwise white sport,  the response is pretty revealing.   Seems pretty clear that most of the negative responders on here likely live somewhere in between Philly or Pitt - and if you prefer, you can call it Alabama or Kentucky.

 

Lol wait until a serious discussion about how to expand wrestling into underutilized demographics actually is seriously undertaken. Then every dog whistle will come out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...