EIWA Thread

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I know this is a debateable issue, but I think those weights are tossups in a dual. Lane hasn't beaten any top 20 wrestlers and hasn't even faced any of them. Hoffman's best win is the one over Verkleeren, but the whole reason Bartlett is wrestling is because Sanderson believes he is better than Verkleeren. Hoffman lost by 12 points this year to O'Conner while Bartlett wrestled Sasso fairly close. You can't go by transitive property, but those results do tell you something. 

I agree they’re tossups, which is why I said “I’m not sure.”

But how close losses were to 2 different guys mean nothing.

11 hours ago, calot said:

Palumbo beat ranked Kropman 10-4  in the semis so not sure sacred heart was a beneficiary at 157. Even with a loss to Hartman looks like Palumbo gets out either way with his win over Kropman

Obviously not but it made the path a *lot* easier is all I'm saying. Fighting through wrestlebacks requires more than one win to finish in second. If he loses to Hartman he would have needed to beat Royster, Frinzi and then either Fisher or Kropman just to finish 5th.

27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I agree they’re tossups, which is why I said “I’m not sure.”

But how close losses were to 2 different guys mean nothing.

Yeah especially if they're two very different type of high level wrestlers.

Sasso pinned Murin yet wrestled Omania to a 7-6 victory.  O'Connor hasn't given up an offensive point this year.  Their match will be UTB type close if/when they meet, but using them and comparing different wrestlers that they wrestled to each other as some sort of transitive standard is like using a brick red or even brown crayon and expecting it to be as bright as a neon yellow highlighter.

1 minute ago, ugarte said:

Obviously not but it made the path a *lot* easier is all I'm saying. Fighting through wrestlebacks requires more than one win to finish in second. If he loses to Hartman he would have needed to beat Royster, Frinzi and then either Fisher or Kropman just to finish 5th.

Palumbo deserves to be commended.  He did what he needed to do.  He didn't create the bracket nor did he bust Hartman's kneecap with a baseball bat.  On top of it all he won his semi-finals.  Rather than criticize him for his body of work why don't we congratulate him on his accomplishment from yesterday in qualifying for the NCAA tournament.  Thousands upon thousands of children grow up and never the chance to compete at NCAA D1 Championships.  He does.

How many other conferences had a former NCAA champ fail to qualify, not because of injury, illness, missing weight, or temper tantrum, Just because of being outwrestled, Then had number of qualifiers reduced by 23%???? 

Lehigh wanted to wrestle PSU this year. It was the nits that refused to find a way for it to happen.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Palumbo deserves to be commended.  He did what he needed to do.  He didn't create the bracket nor did he bust Hartman's kneecap with a baseball bat.  On top of it all he won his semi-finals.  Rather than criticize him for his body of work why don't we congratulate him on his accomplishment from yesterday in qualifying for the NCAA tournament.  Thousands upon thousands of children grow up and never the chance to compete at NCAA D1 Championships.  He does.

I didn't criticize him! I think it's great that Sacred Heart got a couple of guys in. You're reading a pejorative into my original post that wasn't there. All I was doing was recasting my original comment that Hartman's absence was going to help Lehigh in the team race. Forgive me for noticing how it helped Palumbo too.

Just now, ugarte said:

I didn't criticize him! I think it's great that Sacred Heart got a couple of guys in. You're reading a pejorative into my original post that wasn't there. All I was doing was recasting my original comment that Hartman's absence was going to help Lehigh in the team race. Forgive me for noticing how it helped Palumbo too.

I didn't mean you specifically.  I am upset about allocations as much as the next guy.  It is coming off as these EIWA student athletes are just such $HlT wrestlers, blah, blah, blah.  It would be nice if we could change the mentality board-wide about that.  That is all I mean, and I didn't mean to come at you directly for it.  Apologies.

Just now, nhs67 said:

I didn't mean you specifically.  I am upset about allocations as much as the next guy.  It is coming off as these EIWA student athletes are just such $HlT wrestlers, blah, blah, blah.  It would be nice if we could change the mentality board-wide about that.  That is all I mean, and I didn't mean to come at you directly for it.  Apologies.

Hey check the allocations thread: I hate that my Big Red are watching at home but I love that Accousti gets a trip to the tournament because of it.

1 minute ago, ugarte said:

Palumbo was a NJ state champ and has wins over other ncaa qualifiers in his career. My opinion is he makes it regardless of  Hartman injury defaulting. 

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Yep everybody only thinks the top 25 teams count. And without the other 50 we don't have D1 wrestling. 

Lehigh wanted to wrestle PSU this year. It was the nits that refused to find a way for it to happen.

All the B1G schools only wrestled in conference. What exactly was Penn State or anyone else supposed to do?

16 minutes ago, calot said:

Palumbo was a NJ state champ and has wins over other ncaa qualifiers in his career. My opinion is he makes it regardless of  Hartman injury defaulting. 

Maybe so! And Lehigh wins the team title anyway even if Hartman wrestles. Why does everyone think I have it out for this kid?

26 minutes ago, RichB said:

How many other conferences had a former NCAA champ fail to qualify, not because of injury, illness, missing weight, or temper tantrum, Just because of being outwrestled, Then had number of qualifiers reduced by 23%???? 

Someone beat me to it. Big10 wrestled in conf. only. No dodgeball here. 

9 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

Wasn't that scheduled pre Covid?  Are you sure they won't be at Cornell next year?

I got the Palestra info from @jdalu75's EIWA tournament recap on the conference website and I'm inclined to trust him.

2 hours ago, RichB said:

Who is this in reference to?

22 hours ago, 1032004 said:

no idea...and wrestling someone from Hofstra...have they had an EIWA champ in awhile?

I don't think Hofstra has ever had an EIWA Champ.  They only joined the EIWAs a few years back - when they were really good they were in the Colonial Conference. 

2 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I don't think Hofstra has ever had an EIWA Champ.  They only joined the EIWAs a few years back - when they were really good they were in the Colonial Conference. 

They have had one:

4. Joe Booth 1 165 2014

55 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

To quote JFK, "Life is unfair."

Get over it.

I thought that was Jimmy Carter.

Just got back from Spooky Nook.  How appropriate is it that this year EIWAs were wrestled in a place with that name on a night with a full moon?

Honestly, I stay so busy during the tournament that I have to catch up afterwards; which I obviously didn't do on I-81 this afternoon.  What I'm going to remember about this tournament was all the little girls (ages 7-8, I guess) with their field hockey sticks wondering what all the big smelly guys were doing where they normally practice and play.  I had a better view of them than I did of the mat area.

My best information is that Penn will host the 2022 EIWAs, Bucknell in 2023.  But everything's subject to change this year, I guess.  I've heard that the NCAA may consider (there's a definitive statement for you!) waiving the four-bout minimum if it's covid-related.  Damn, isn't everything right now covid-related?

Army's Hartman was an exception to that statement.  He missed the Navy dual and I guess couldn't claim a covid-related problem, so he had to show at EIWAs.  Cobb and several others had covid issues, although whether they tested positive themselves or needed to quarantine after coming into contact with someone who did I couldn't say.

American's press release reported that both Curry and Clarke will be back for 6th years next year.  Kizhan, as I read the rules, was a covid-related guy who has no shot at an at-large bid.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, klehner said:

Seeds mean next to nothing in this tournament.

My son tells me that the seeds were perfect at two weights.  149 and 197.  I haven't had the chance to see if he's right.

7 hours ago, RichB said:

Somebody doesn't pay attention.