EIWA Thread

14 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

My son tells me that the seeds were perfect at two weights.  149 and 197.  I haven't had the chance to see if he's right.

Seeds in order of finish:

125:  1/2/3/5/4/6/9/8

133:  1/7/2/5/6/4/5/9

141:  1/2/4/5/3/6/7/10

149:  1/2/3/4/5/6/7/9

157:  1/7/4/6/3/5/8/9

165:  1/2/6/5/3/8/9/4

174:  3/1/7/5/4/6/8/2

184:  1/2/4/3/9/5/6/8

197:  1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

285:  1/3/4/5/2/7/6/8

35/80 placed exactly at seed.  Seven top 8 seeds didn't place at all.  No idea if that is good or bad.

Here's another way to look at the seeding.  I'm doing this live, so I don't know what the result will be.

125:  8 of 10 finished within one spot of their seed.

133:  6 of 9 within one spot.

141:  8 of 10 within one spot.

149:  8 of 8 on the money.

157:  5 of 9 within one spot; Hartman's situation blew the bracket some.

165:  3 of 9 within one spot.

174:  7 of 10 within one spot.

184:  7 of 9 within one spot.

197:  9 of 9 on the money.

285:  8 of 8 within one spot.

That's 69 of 91 placing within one spot of their seed (75.8%) and I didn't remove Markus Hartman from the calculation.  In a year when eight wrestlers came into the tournament with no current record and two others (that I can think of offhand) had no bouts at their tournament weight.  Is anyone really going to bitch because Army plebe Clayton Fielden went 2-0 at 174, went 165 for EIWAs, the seeders gave him #8 and he took it into his head to place 6th?  And advanced past the 7th/8th bout with a sudden victory win?  Anyone complaining about that needs better things to worry about.

I think the pre-seeders and coaches did an exemplary job given what they had to work with.

19 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Somebody doesn't pay attention.

If Carl wanted B10 teams to be allowed to wrestle one non-conference dual, that rule would have happened, Especially if Brands also wanted to Wrestle ISU. So you were the one not paying attention

42 minutes ago, RichB said:

If Carl wanted B10 teams to be allowed to wrestle one non-conference dual, that rule would have happened, Especially if Brands also wanted to Wrestle ISU. So you were the one not paying attention

LMAO. Yes, Cael and Brands have the power to overrule the conference. You're a genius.

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Maybe you missed it, but Cael being in control of all things NCAA Wrestling is a continual misguided theme here. 

woah woah woah, I was reliably informed the other day that actually ncaa wrestling is aligned with flo and jody strittmatter to take cael down! my head is spinning.

If the  B1G had not allowed OOC in any sport, then maybe Carl and Tom could not have forced them open. But that is not the case. I don't know who started fictional LU-PSU meet,  but any implication that Lehigh vetoed it is total horsehockey.

1 minute ago, RichB said:

If the  B1G had not allowed OOC in any sport, then maybe Carl and Tom could not have forced them open. But that is not the case. I don't know who started fictional LU-PSU meet,  but any implication that Lehigh vetoed it is total horsehockey.

Who said Lehigh vetoed it??? The Big Ten vetoed it. Iowa couldn't wrestle its two most historic rivals this year because they were out of conference.

No OOC was clearly not a B1G all sports decision. You can't tell me their wrestling committee would have made that decision had Carl and Tom strongly disagreed. You are really thick headed to suggest otherwise. PSU did out of conference in Basketball Hockey Gymnastics, and other winter sports

1 hour ago, RichB said:

No OOC was clearly not a B1G all sports decision. You can't tell me their wrestling committee would have made that decision had Carl and Tom strongly disagreed. You are really thick headed to suggest otherwise. PSU did out of conference in Basketball Hockey Gymnastics, and other winter sports

All of their out-of-conference gymnastics meets were virtual meets (ie. both teams competed in their home gyms against each other). In hockey, all of their non-conference games were home games against Arizona State, who otherwise was an independent who wouldn't have been able to compete at all this season. Pumpkin-pushing? You got us there...

1 hour ago, RichB said:

Yes, you've cracked this one wide open. Fielding their best team in a decade, Iowa wanted no part of historic rivals Iowa State and OSU.

2 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

All of their out-of-conference gymnastics meets were virtual meets (ie. both teams competed in their home gyms against each other). In hockey, all of their non-conference games were home games against Arizona State, who otherwise was an independent who wouldn't have been able to compete at all this season. Pumpkin-pushing? You got us there...

Except for this, except for that.  How about except for teams you have competed against 85 seasons in a row, about 110 times? Tradition in sports is important in Pennsylvania, Maybe not so places like Utah and Iowa. 

Lehigh fans were willing to open checkbooks for Syracuse, even for Lafayette sports when they considered going D3.

Big 10 fans don't get to say they would certainly would have had a shut out, when PSU made no effort to have the dual happen

Brands and Sanderson could certainly get  guidelines changed, unless all 12 other coaches were incredibly, vehemently opposed. Pretty obvious when you consider that just one of them killed national duals. PSU isn't scared of Lehigh, It is just that Carl dose not seem to care about tradition. Like 2 years in he wanted to terminate LU and LHU. But more sensible and wealthier heads prevailed Anyone honest with themselves knows that is true.

Declaring a PSU shutout of Lehigh when PSU made no effort to have the meet, is like when the French messenger demands Henry V surrender his body for ransom, before the Battle of Agincourt even begins.

Don't know of The Big 10 decisions, but they seem less than 100% Covid oriented. otherwise PSU would have scheduled OhSU, Md, Rutg maybe Mi or MiSU, but also Lehigh, Pitt, maybe LHU or Buck.  Maybe a Pac 12 team

Edited by RichB

11 hours ago, RichB said:

Brands and Sanderson could certainly get  guidelines changed, unless all 12 other coaches were incredibly, vehemently opposed. Pretty obvious when you consider that just one of them killed national duals. PSU isn't scared of Lehigh, It is just that Carl dose not seem to care about tradition. Like 2 years in he wanted to terminate LU and LHU. But more sensible and wealthier heads prevailed Anyone honest with themselves knows that is true.

Declaring a PSU shutout of Lehigh when PSU made no effort to have the meet, is like when the French messenger demands Henry V surrender his body for ransom, before the Battle of Agincourt even begins.

Don't know of The Big 10 decisions, but they seem less than 100% Covid oriented. otherwise PSU would have scheduled OhSU, Md, Rutg maybe Mi or MiSU, but also Lehigh, Pitt, maybe LHU or Buck.  Maybe a Pac 12 team

LOL not this year.  The Big 10 only played conference games in football.  It definitely wasn’t happening in wrestling 

On 2/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, klehner said:

Seeds in order of finish:

125:  1/2/3/5/4/6/9/8

133:  1/7/2/5/6/4/5/9

141:  1/2/4/5/3/6/7/10

149:  1/2/3/4/5/6/7/9

157:  1/7/4/6/3/5/8/9

165:  1/2/6/5/3/8/9/4

174:  3/1/7/5/4/6/8/2

184:  1/2/4/3/9/5/6/8

197:  1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

285:  1/3/4/5/2/7/6/8

35/80 placed exactly at seed.  Seven top 8 seeds didn't place at all.  No idea if that is good or bad.

One of the EIWA's pre-seeders ran the same exercise for the Big 10.  Here are his results, offered without editorial comment (other than that I've wondered before why 285 often seems to be well-seeded).  Make of it what you will.

125- 1,7,5,3,8,11,9,4

133- 1,2,3,4,9,8,11,6

141- 1,2,3,4,9,13,5,8

149- 1,7,8,6,5,10,3,4

157- 1,2,3,7,4,5,10,6

165- 1,3,4,7,9,8,12,6

174- 1,3,2,4,6,5,9,10

184- 1,6,5,9,3,2,7,4

197- 2,1,3,4,5,7,6,10

285- 1,2,3,7,5,8,6,4

Edited by jdalu75

Side effect of EIWA getting so many allocated spots without the ivies competing: only 4 at-large bids to the entire conference (Roes, Cobb, Hartman, Birchmeyer) unless I missed someone. This probably washes out most (but not all) of the complaints about allocations from the other conferences anyway.

Edited by ugarte

14 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Side effect of EIWA getting so many allocated spots without the ivies competing: only 4 at-large bids to the entire conference (Roes, Cobb, Hartman, Birchmeyer) unless I missed someone. This probably washes out most (but not all) of the complaints about allocations from the other conferences anyway.

Yeah, we (EIWA- not that I speak for them) should have had more of the better guys tank!