Sign in to follow this  
nom

Driving opponent OOB - stalling?

Just watched as opponent A, starting on top, clearly, without a doubt, drove opponent B out of bounds.  Upon standup .. B was planting fit and feet slipping / skipping forward as A drove out. 

whistle.  Restart.  .... Bullsh!t.  Why the hell isn’t this called stalling on top guy consistently?

1 hour ago, nom said:

Just watched as opponent A, starting on top, clearly, without a doubt, drove opponent B out of bounds.  Upon standup .. B was planting fit and feet slipping / skipping forward as A drove out. 

whistle.  Restart.  .... Bullsh!t.  Why the hell isn’t this called stalling on top guy consistently?

It needs to be.  Or fleeing the mat in high school.

One of the Lehigh guys (forget who) was called for stalling at the EIWA tournament for doing just that. Even though I’m a Lehigh fan I remember thinking that it’s not called often enough.

It's one of those unintended consequences things.  You're going to get called for stalling if you don't return the bottom man to the mat within 5 seconds, so you just push the bottom man off the mat so you actually avoid getting called for stalling.   It's wrong, but that's what is happening. 

We need the track meet at the end when you avoid your opponent to be a flee and not a warning.  Point it.  If you want to sprint, go join the track team, otherwise stay in and battle. 

I agree.  That's why the new college rule should be called "push out" or something rather than stalling.  Yesterday during the ACC Hwt. championship match, Catka kept shooting, but he got called for stalling because he was pushed out.  In my opinion Wilson was pushing Catka out of bounds to avoid wrestling, but because of the new rule, Catka got called for stalling.  BTW, I support a push out rule, but lets call it a push out.

"pushing" (moving forward and taking ground against your opponent's will) has to be stalling because there is no physical counter to "pushing"... no one in the history of man has ever been able to withstand forward pressure... the only option is to retreat straight backwards...

oh, how i love when this topic comes up anew...

it makes me giggle...

every

single

time!!!!

Pushing is not wrestling unless it is Sumo.  No taking a shot.  No putting oneself in a state of risk to score points.  Nothing.  "Taking ground against your opponent's will" is not a wrestling move.  Unless there is a set up, a shot, some sort of snap, Russian series, or anything else which has a sniff of skill then pushing is stalling.  Period.

Edited by Lipdrag

Just now, LJB said:

The husky kid who couldn't learn to wrestle!!

Look who is talking: a guy who never had the balls to step on the mat in the first place. I'd pull you apart like a wishbone, boy. Not to worry, we need people who don't know **** to fill the stands. 

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Look who is talking: a guy who never had the balls to step on the mat in the first place. I'd pull you apart like a wishbone, boy. Not to worry, we need people who don't know **** to fill the stands. 

Ha... all I would have to do is push you and you would stumble away out of bounds...

I do like the tough guy act... very impressive!!!

9 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Oof. He got you riled up enough for physical threats. Not a good look

Just Cause I feel like stirring the pot.. wouldn’t not doing anything but backing out of the area of competition in response to someone pushing you.. be stalling as well... cause the techniques “pushing” sets up.. require an opponent to respond to the person potentially pushing them out of the area of competition... 

One would think that just letting someone push you out of the area of competition.. which stops the clock and provides a reset (i.e a “breather”) would be stalling or at least more so than “pushing”

There are lots of techniques set up by pushing.. I don’t  recall any wrestling Techniques set up by just letting yourself get pushed out of bounds. There is also many techniques that take advantage of the other person pushing.. for example..

This may be anecdotal but I was a “pusher” to set up snapdowns in middle school. Freshman year.. I got hit with slidebyes and throws until learned to stop pushing in.. 

EDIT: until I stopped pushing in constantly like an idiot..

Edited by jp157
Read the post

6 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Just Cause I feel like stirring the pot.. wouldn’t not doing anything but backing out of the area of competition in response to someone pushing you.. be stalling as well... cause the techniques “pushing” sets up.. require an opponent to respond to the person potentially pushing them out of the area of competition... 

One would think that just letting someone push you out of the area of competition.. which stops the clock and provides a reset (i.e a “breather”) would be stalling or at least more so than “pushing”

There are lots of techniques set up by pushing.. I don’t  recall any wrestling Techniques set up by just letting yourself get pushed out of bounds. There is also many techniques that take advantage of the other person pushing.. for example..

This may be anecdotal but I was a “pusher” to set up snapdowns in middle school. Freshman year.. I got hit with slidebyes and throws until learned to stop pushing in.. 

EDIT: until I stopped pushing in constantly like an idiot..

see?

you can make sense occasionally...

of course, you are setting yourself up to feel the wrath of internet tough guys...

go with odin, my son...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

see?

you can make sense occasionally...

of course, you are setting yourself up to feel the wrath of internet tough guys...

go with odin, my son...

Hey now, I always make sense. You just don’t like what I have to say most of the time. Lol. 

I have an advantage when it comes to to internet tough guys by being more experienced than most of them lol. 

Though for the purposes of this conversation the experience doesn’t matter. ****e, the easiest throw to teach dumbas... I mean high school kids is a lateral from over/under. 

“Johnny If you’re in over/under and they just just in and barely pummel like an idiot.. launch em”

Hell you don’t even have to be able to throw to hit a lateral from them pushing in. Half the time you can get away with just sitting to your ass and taking them over with the over/under. If some says.. “what about if them metzger” well now we’re wrestling.

God my grammar is terrible today.. I think half my students failing an open note quiz based off the notes is rubbing off on me.

Then parents have the gall to say crap like 

wHy IS mY sUPer DUPEr sOn FAILING????

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Hey now, I always make sense. You just don’t like what I have to say most of the time. Lol. 

I have an advantage when it comes to to internet tough guys by being more experienced than most of them lol. 

ha... i am a more accomplished wrestler as compared to some husky guy who thinks there is literally nothing you can do against someone pushing instead of go straight backwards...

3 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Though for the purposes of this conversation the experience doesn’t matter. ****e, the easiest throw to teach dumbas... I mean high school kids is a lateral from over/under. 

“Johnny If you’re in over/under and they just just in and barely pummel like an idiot.. launch em”

Hell you don’t even have to be able to throw to hit a lateral from them pushing in. Half the time you can get away with just sitting to your ass and taking them over with the over/under. If some says.. “what about if them metzger” well now we’re wrestling.

heresy...

witchcraft...

prepare to be lit afire with internet tough guy threats!!!!!

**i'll be there with tissues afterwards**