Jump to content
jp157

SoCon Thread

Recommended Posts

Figured the little guys needed some love. No surprises that I’ve seen so far. 
 

Southern HS wrestling is improving. It’ll be interesting to see if the SoCon teams can keep any of them home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little more than halfway through the semis. App State vs. Campbell finals are set at 125, 133, 149, 157 while Rotunda (#1 seed) from Citadel beat Hixenbaugh of Campbell in the semis. Then at 165 we have #3 Nicholson (UTC) vs. #4 Castro (CIT).

Good to see some other teams will be represented at nationals. Castro beat Formatto of App State who was the #1 seed by a 6-3 score.

Edited by bracketbuster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what they did but Campbell and Gardner-Webb have been deducted team points.

Unrelated but I went through and updated my interactive brackets after the tournament to double check the math. Iame up with the following deductions to team scores in the first two tournaments.

MAC
Edinboro - 2
Central Michigan - 1
Kent State - 1
Lock Haven - 1
Missouri - 1

EIWA
Bucknell - 2
Army - 1
Drexel - 1
Navy - 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OBXWrestler said:

Mosley and Formato losing is going to be interesting in their bids for At-Large. 
 

best path for both guys will be to get third and hope that the guy they lost to wins. So they can wrestle and win a true second match. 

I started a spreadsheet for kind of like a "bubble watch" that I plan to post later today once the conference tournaments are wrapped up for today. It will be kind of just by coaches ranking to see just how the bubble moved after the first week.

Quick preview right now is that 20 kids from the EIWA qualified to nationals and didn't have a coaches ranking. 13 kids from the MAC did the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 in the finals from Campbell and six from Appalachian State. 83-62 the team score. They matchup at every weight App State has a finalist but that is not a small deficit they are currently facing. 

Chattanooga and The Citadel each with three finalists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bracketbuster said:

Don't know what they did but Campbell and Gardner-Webb have been deducted team points.

Unrelated but I went through and updated my interactive brackets after the tournament to double check the math. Iame up with the following deductions to team scores in the first two tournaments.

MAC
Edinboro - 2
Central Michigan - 1
Kent State - 1
Lock Haven - 1
Missouri - 1

EIWA
Bucknell - 2
Army - 1
Drexel - 1
Navy - 1

 

For tournaments run in Track, team point deduction info is available.

Edited by ISUChip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Reminder: Presbyterian is a second-year program at a college that is barely the size of a medium-to-large-sized high school in some places.

I know lol. But still feel they could present better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbell up 83-70 heading into placing matches over Appalachian State.

5:30: 3rd place
7:00: Championships, followed by any true placing which could happen at 149, 184, and 285.

Campbell has 8 in finals, 0 going for third.

App State has 6 in finals, 2 going for third.

App State gets 2+any bonus for a win in the third place match. Finals will be 3+any bonus to the winner.

App State does have 6 (all finalists) head-to-heads with Campbell which helps but it is still a tough hill to climb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bracketbuster said:

8 in the finals from Campbell and six from Appalachian State. 83-62 the team score. They matchup at every weight App State has a finalist but that is not a small deficit they are currently facing. 

Chattanooga and The Citadel each with three finalists.

Has the Citadel had that many finalists in recent seasons? I’m pretty good following small schools but I can’t think of a single qualifier from there in the past 5 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Has the Citadel had that many finalists in recent seasons? I’m pretty good following small schools but I can’t think of a single qualifier from there in the past 5 years 

According to their wrestlestat page they had 1 qualifier every year from 2016-2020 and 3 qualifiers in 2015. 4 qualifers, 1 All-American in 2014.

2020: Selwyn (Chon) Porter (149) who was a #33 seed last year, wrestling for third this year with true second still in play
2019: #22 Sawyer Root; 0-2 (197)
2018: Sawyer Root (unseeded; 197); 0-2
2017: Aaron Walker (157; unseeded): 0-2
2016: Aaron Walker (157; unseeded): 0-2
2014: Turtogtokh Luvsandorj was their 6th place All-American (seeded 11th) at 165. I didn't look at their conference results but I would assume they were finalists/AQs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Campbell's standing at the top of the heap still residuals from Kolat coaching or can they keep this up?  UTC was the dominant force in the SoCon when they had Terry Brands and then Bono (and fairly high profile assistants under both) but then they gradually came back to the pack after Bono left.

Edited by Broomstick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Is Campbell's standing at the top of the heap still residuals from Kolat coaching or can they keep this up?  UTC was the dominant force in the SoCon when they had Terry Brands and then Bono (and fairly high profile assistants under both) but then they gradually came back to the pack after Bono left.

Obviously all of these guys were recruited under Kolat but it was a Kolat assistant who took over. Time will ultimately tell I guess but Scotti Sentes won the SoCon dual title in his first year and looks primed to win the tournament title as well so I think you have to give him some credit for hitting the ground running against a strong challenge from Appalachian State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bracketbuster said:

According to their wrestlestat page they had 1 qualifier every year from 2016-2020 and 3 qualifiers in 2015. 4 qualifers, 1 All-American in 2014.

2020: Selwyn (Chon) Porter (149) who was a #33 seed last year, wrestling for third this year with true second still in play
2019: #22 Sawyer Root; 0-2 (197)
2018: Sawyer Root (unseeded; 197); 0-2
2017: Aaron Walker (157; unseeded): 0-2
2016: Aaron Walker (157; unseeded): 0-2
2014: Turtogtokh Luvsandorj was their 6th place All-American (seeded 11th) at 165. I didn't look at their conference results but I would assume they were finalists/AQs

I’m familiar with root it just completely slipped my mind...I didn’t realize Luvsandorj AAed, I remember him wrestling for st.benedicts in high school he was real tough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...