They actually read it aloud on FRL that some guy in the facebook chat claimed it was supposed to be a best of 3 wrestleoff, Lipari won the first and didn't want to do a best of 3 so they gave it to Chlebove.

FWIW (not much)

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

They actually read it aloud on FRL that some guy in the facebook chat claimed it was supposed to be a best of 3 wrestleoff, Lipari won the first and didn't want to do a best of 3 so they gave it to Chlebove.

FWIW (not much)

I heard Lipari won the first, Chlebove got hurt for the second.  Sometime after the fact, Zeke made the decision not to contiue the process and simply named Chlebove the starter.  Boy did that one bite him, and my guess is it will continue to bite him.  As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, things like this don't help with recruiting, especially if you are shopping in New  Jersey! 

5 minutes ago, RED said:

I heard Lipari won the first, Chlebove got hurt for the second.  Sometime after the fact, Zeke made the decision not to contiue the process and simply named Chlebove the starter.  Boy did that one bite him, and my guess is it will continue to bite him.  As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, things like this don't help with recruiting, especially if you are shopping in New  Jersey! 

If I was a wrestler and this was confirmed to me, I wouldn't even answer a phone call from Zeke. What happens if another family friend sends a kid at my weight? How can I ever be sure I'll get a fair shot?

We've heard three different stories about it now:

1)  Lipari got hurt and couldn't wrestle Pac-12s

2)  Lipari won the first and refused to wrestle best of 3, lost his job

3) Lipari won the first, Chlebove got hurt in the 2nd and was named starter

Not defending Zeke at all if #3 happened, but let's not rake him over the coals for message board rumors.  

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

We've heard three different stories about it now:

1)  Lipari got hurt and couldn't wrestle Pac-12s

2)  Lipari won the first and refused to wrestle best of 3, lost his job

3) Lipari won the first, Chlebove got hurt in the 2nd and was named starter

Not defending Zeke at all if #3 happened, but let's not rake him over the coals for message board rumors.  

1 of those aint a rumor....

3 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

If I was a wrestler and this was confirmed to me, I wouldn't even answer a phone call from Zeke. What happens if another family friend sends a kid at my weight? How can I ever be sure I'll get a fair shot?

John Smith did this with his son two years ago.

Both Zeke and JS don't seem to be affected on the recruiting trail.

35 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

John Smith did this with his son two years ago.

Both Zeke and JS don't seem to be affected on the recruiting trail.

Joe won the wrestle off. He put it in the wrestlers hands. Zeke, by this account, did the opposite.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Joe won the wrestle off. He put it in the wrestlers hands. Zeke, by this account, did the opposite.

I don't think Joe had to make weight when he wrestled off Chandler.  How is that fair?

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I don't know the details of the wrestle off, but Chandler had a much more fair shot than Lipari did.

That's a good point.

Can you guys think of any other notable examples of someone getting screwed in a college wrestle-off?

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I can't be the only one that thinks if a guy won't or can't represent during the season, they shouldn't represent in the postseason. 

I do not think that philosophy should apply to an injury situation - would you say that about the Kerklievet vs Nevills situation? To me someone who is out due to medical reasons should be able to regain their starting spot if cleared at the end of the season - wrestle off  decisions in that case would be at the coach's discretion. 

I do not think that philosophy should apply to an injury situation - would you say that about the Kerklievet vs Nevills situation? To me someone who is out due to medical reasons should be able to regain their starting spot if cleared at the end of the season - wrestle off  decisions in that case would be at the coach's discretion. 
Zeke should have told his recruits/wrestlers "Chlebove will start at the weight class he chooses, even if he loses the wrestle offs. Because I like him more than you."

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I can't be the only one that thinks if a guy won't or can't represent during the season, they shouldn't represent in the postseason. 

If the other guy is better, why does it matter?

But not sure that’s the case here...

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Your not - Unless it was an injury to Lipari - He should have absolutely had the spot in the Pac 12 conference championship.  He started all but 1 match if I remember correctly. He was ranked #25 in the coaches. By all all indications he had won the direct wrestle off and for those who look at the bank of work for the season, he won that too. There is just no way around it from a competitive standpoint. 

36 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Did Lipari get a medical redshirt?  His ASU bio shows 5 burned years. 

yes

oops for Rider though.  Although I think I heard he had some scholarship $ last year but wouldn't have this year, could be wrong

Edited by 1032004

On 3/2/2021 at 1:53 PM, uncle bernard said:

? 9.9 = a buyer's market. 

8 hours ago, lu1979 said:

It depends. If the injured guy is clearly better, then yeah. If the injured guy has got the better of his back-up most of the time but the bouts, practice situations, and training habits are close, then the coach has a problem. If you sit the wrong guy, you could lose the team. 

6 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

It depends. If the injured guy is clearly better, then yeah. If the injured guy has got the better of his back-up most of the time but the bouts, practice situations, and training habits are close, then the coach has a problem. If you sit the wrong guy, you could lose the team. 

Smith must have lost alot of face with the team after his sons senior year.

6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Smith must have lost alot of face with the team after his sons senior year.

Why? Everyone knew the whole year that the plan was for Joe to go down and compete with Chandler for 165. They had a wrestle off and Joe won. That's the nature of the sport.