Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

All Inclusive "Bad Draw" Thread

On 3/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, lu1979 said:

Don't forget one of my favorites - Ken Mallory a D3 Champ  winning 134#s from a #8 seed in 1978. 

How can I forget....I was 0-3 vs Mallory, two of them being beat-downs. ( all freestyle)   :-P

Apologies if this was covered in any of the other threads, but, properly understood, that was an awful draw, as bad a quarterfinal opponent as you can get (even worse than Mekhi was; Mekhi didn't have Griffith's proven college track record). 

Lost in the feel good (bad?) Stanford stuff around Griffith is him as a wrestler on the merits:  He is damn good.  His redshirt year he was third at the Scuffle.  His freshman year he won the Scuffle, was 28-0, was the third seed at The NCAAs That Never Happened, and was a Hodge finalist and ranked 6th in all weights in most dominant wrestler.  

This year was ridiculous -- because Stanford -- so he got a seed that is totally unreflective of his true stature. 

This is not a guy who would have even remotely been the 8th seed had this year not been a complete clusterf#!*.  If there had been no Covid, no Stanford s#!*show, I think he would have been first or second.  My bottom line belief is that he is a just plain better wrestler than Marinelli, period.  He's at the same level based on last year's record, and he's got that necessary athletic higher gear (as he demonstrated over and over last weekend every time he got in a flurry) that makes a difference in March.  With the benefit of context and hindsight, what happened was not an upset at all.