VakAttack

Gfeller going 141 for Okie State

Just now, VakAttack said:

Hone was apparently injured.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yep, they had 3rd string 125 Jakason Burks at 141 in the second bedlam. Good luck to G, but my expectations are low. He hasn't been the same guy since the loss to Lugo his freshman year. Also, he spent time at 157 this year, so I'm going to guess this is a monster cut. Also has a 6-2 loss to a kid I've never heard of.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Yep, they had 3rd string 125 Jakason Burks at 141 in the second bedlam. Good luck to G, but my expectations are low. He hasn't been the same guy since the loss to Lugo his freshman year. Also, he spent time at 157 this year, so I'm going to guess this is a monster cut. Also has a 6-2 loss to a kid I've never heard of.

Wasn't he a smaller 149 the year he won the Southern Scuffle and then lost to Ashnault in the dual where Ashnault did the guns?  How did G get so big?  Has he been on the Jojo Smith diet plan?

14 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I am also extremely skeptical.

38 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Wasn't he a smaller 149 the year he won the Southern Scuffle and then lost to Ashnault in the dual where Ashnault did the guns?  How did G get so big?  Has he been on the Jojo Smith diet plan?

Yep, everybody said he was up at 149 because he couldn't beat Brock and Boo going down created an opening, but we haven't seen him down at 141 since his true freshman year when he pinned Nick Lee at the scuffle. No idea what the deal is. The whole thing seems off. It's hard to believe that he can't beat Dusty Hone.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Hone was apparently injured.

Brock re-injured knee and replacement Hone injured knee in Challenge tourney.  They wrestled a 125 at 141 in Bedlam dual. 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Classic Okie State Shrink Job.

G was 141 and bumped up to replace injured Lewallen at 149 two years ago.  All those who think Fix should be 125 should have no problem with G going back to original weight.  Although, sure its been 2 years so he mightve grown fat & happy at 149 but he wasn't beating Boo.  

He won’t win a match at NCAAs, assuming he makes it. 

If making 141 was a reasonable option, he would’ve been wrestling at 141. Brock has been out for a month. He either couldn’t make 141 reasonably, or he lost to Hone in the room so much he didn’t think it was worth it

6 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

If making 141 was a reasonable option, he would’ve been wrestling at 141. Brock has been out for a month. He either couldn’t make 141 reasonably, or he lost to Hone in the room so much he didn’t think it was worth it

He wrestled Lewallen at 149 for team spot, was backing up Lewallen.  They had two pretty good guys at 141. Short season and all. Maybe this was where thought needed him till lost both 141s.  This season doesn't count so no reason to have excess guys at one weight and none backing up another weight.

Also, he had some kind of injury/dinged up from extra matches, so looked like plan was sit till next year, then Hone injury.  Yeah I wouldn't expect a lot if he makes NCAA but strange year so who knows?

Edited by ionel

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

He wrestled Lewallen at 149 for team spot, was backing up Lewallen.  They had two pretty good guys at 141. Short season and al. Maybe this was where thought needed him till lost both 141s.  This season doesn't count so no reason to have excess guys at one weight and none backing up another weight.

The second Brock got injured, why didn’t he drop down then? It has been awhile since we’ve known and he was probably in the room when it happened. 

Did he think he couldn’t beat out Hone for the spot?

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

The second Brock got injured, why didn’t he drop down then? It has been awhile since we’ve known and he was probably in the room when it happened. 

Idk, maybe they wanted to have a backup for Lewallen & Sheets.  Like said its a short season, can't cover every possible issue in just a couple weeks time.

15 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Well he does still have to follow descent plan rules. If he was weighing in at 149 (and 157 for a dual), it would probably be a couple weeks before he could legally weigh in at 141. I think the likely thing is that it's a huge cut for him and they felt fine with Hone at 141. When Hone went down and their backup 125 became the next man up, they decided to throw a hail mary with G.

He wrestled 5 matches in mid january.  He wrestled 6 matches last year, all at the Scuffle.  That was after going 50-10 in 2018 and 2019.  Something went wrong in the last two years and it wasn't just a logjam at 141.  If he shakes off 2 years of rust while cutting a weight class then this is relevant.  But the likelihood is about 99% that this is just a chance for a kid to wrestle the conference tournament after a ton of injuries hammered OSU.  

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Classic Okie State Shrink Job.

Dumb post.

A number of guys got hurt and they let a guy wrestle the conference tournament.  Zero people planned this or tried to shrink a wrestler for team reasons.  

Interesting situation at osu 141.  Hone was 7-4, so good wrestler, but less than stellar for osu.  He gets injured and a former aa drops to fill the slot.   I'll speculate GFeller didn't want to cut tge whole year, so when the door unfortunately closed on Hone, a  window opened for him.   Hope he has success.

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Yep, they had 3rd string 125 Jakason Burks at 141 in the second bedlam. 

I didn't want to ask about this initially and get sidetracked, but it is crazy that they would bump up Burks 2 weights to wrestle AA Dom Demas!  What is going on over there? 

Wasn't Burks a former #1 ranked recruit and cadet world champ coming out of HS?  I know he's a freshman, but 3rd string?  It's not like one of the guys ahead of him is Fix.  Is he a "bust" already?

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact I think Gfeller might shock some guys at NCAAs. I remember back in the day when guys would pull down a weight class and beat up on the "weakies" in the class below.