VakAttack

Gfeller going 141 for Okie State

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

The second Brock got injured, why didn’t he drop down then? It has been awhile since we’ve known and he was probably in the room when it happened. 

Did he think he couldn’t beat out Hone for the spot?

I find it hard to believe Gfeller didn't think he could beat Dusty Hone. 

39 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I didn't want to ask about this initially and get sidetracked, but it is crazy that they would bump up Burks 2 weights to wrestle AA Dom Demas!  What is going on over there? 

Wasn't Burks a former #1 ranked recruit and cadet world champ coming out of HS?  I know he's a freshman, but 3rd string?  It's not like one of the guys ahead of him is Fix.  Is he a "bust" already?

Burks was a good recruit, but not that big and I don't think he ever made a cadet team, though I could be forgetting. Definitely wasn't a world champ. You might be thinking of Kurt McHenry at Michigan. Interesting enough, he's also 3rd string.

He lost to fellow freshman recruit, Trevor Mastrogiovanni, at wrestle offs. Mastro was actually a much better recruit. Mastro beat Reece Witcraft in the final wrestle off.

8 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Interesting situation at osu 141.  Hone was 7-4, so good wrestler, but less than stellar for osu.  He gets injured and a former aa drops to fill the slot.   I'll speculate GFeller didn't want to cut tge whole year, so when the door unfortunately closed on Hone, a  window opened for him.   Hope he has success.

I think Hone would've been good for a couple wins at NCAAs. If he wrestled over his head MAYBE a R12 finish, and if very lucky MAYBE scrape in at 7th or 8th. I think Gfeller has a higher ceiling,  despite his poor performance at NCAAs a couple years back. 

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I think Hone would've been good for a couple wins at NCAAs. If he wrestled over his head MAYBE a R12 finish, and if very lucky MAYBE scrape in at 7th or 8th. I think Gfeller has a higher ceiling,  despite his poor performance at NCAAs a couple years back. 

Does he have any matches at the weight? Seems unlikely to qualify if not.

19 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Burks was a good recruit, but not that big and I don't think he ever made a cadet team, though I could be forgetting. Definitely wasn't a world champ. You might be thinking of Kurt McHenry at Michigan. Interesting enough, he's also 3rd string.

He lost to fellow freshman recruit, Trevor Mastrogiovanni, at wrestle offs. Mastro was actually a much better recruit. Mastro beat Reece Witcraft in the final wrestle off.

It never made sense why so many high profile guys would go there with Fix being only a sophomore eligibility wise.  You got three blue chip recruits in Mastro, Burks, and Witcraft going for one spot, and Fix has three years of eligibility left after this.  Do you foresee 1 or 2 of them transferring because I can't see any of the four growing into a 141. 

6 hours ago, BLT said:

Does he have any matches at the weight? Seems unlikely to qualify if not.

I didn't see any on wrestlestats. On the other hand if he finishes in the top 4 or whatever at conference he gets an autobid, right? 

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

It never made sense why so many high profile guys would go there with Fix being only a sophomore eligibility wise.  You got three blue chip recruits in Mastro, Burks, and Witcraft going for one spot, and Fix has three years of eligibility left after this.  Do you foresee 1 or 2 of them transferring because I can't see any of the four growing into a 141. 

Side-note: Mastro and Witcraft had hs credentials, but their styles never convinced me that they would be good investments. Witcraft is wild. His wildness was a feature not a bug in his high profile wins for Broken Arrow. Mastro was a hammer early in his hs career but plateaued as he moved up in weight. His length was the key to his tilts and that bundle series in neutral. The bigger he got, the less effective these series got. 

Just now, jackwebster said:

Side-note: Mastro and Witcraft had hs credentials, but their styles never convinced me that they would be good investments. Witcraft is wild. His wildness was a feature not a bug in his high profile wins for Broken Arrow. Mastro was a hammer early in his hs career but plateaued as he moved up in weight. His length was the key to his tilts and that bundle series in neutral. The bigger he got, the less effective these series got. 

The bigger his opponents got the less effective he was, you mean. 

5 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Considering that Coach Smith has only 9.9 scholarships for his entire team, I thought that it was odd that he would invest so much in four lightweights, when he only needs 2 guys to cover 125 and 133.  Especially with how thin they are at 285.

Edited by ShakaAloha

4 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Considering that Coach Smith has only 9.9 scholarships for his entire team, I thought that it was odd that he would invest so much in four lightweights, when he only needs 2 guys to cover 125 and 133.  Especially with how thin they are at 285.

Do you think Witcraft gets any money?

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Do you think Witcraft gets any money?

As an Oklahoma resident, Witcraft gets in-state tuition.  He started last year as a true freshman, so I would guess that he gets a partial scholarship and book money.  He probably pays less than Burks and Mastro in total.  But Burks and Mastro are both out of state guys and higher profile coming out of HS, so I'd guess they get more scholarship money but have a larger tuition bill since out of state tuition is higher.  Fix is the best guy on the team, so my guess is everything is paid for with Fix.  What are your thoughts?