Tofurky

The NAIA Championships are WILD!

Grand View is the nine-time defending team champions, but a son of the program may be the reason they don't make it to 10 straight this year.

A set of twin brothers from Indiana are on a collision course to make the finals at 133 pounds.

Man-child and Kentucky native Brandon Reed of Lindsey Wilson is on track for his third title at heavyweight.

Arizona Christian's Jack Latimer (unseeded) is in the semis, after knocking off the numbers one and nine seeds in his bracket.

Elias Vaoifi (American Samoa) and Baterden Boldmaa (Mongolia) are both semi-finalists.

Many of the best NJCAA student-wrestlers have found a home in the NAIA.

The NAIA semi-finals feature 20 different schools, which is equal to the D1 semis in 2019.

Georgia has more qualifiers to this year's tournament than any other state in this year's tournament.

You have a few good second chance stories you rarely find in the NCAA.

@JasonBryant, care to weigh in on this topic? Didn't you recently cover a lot of this on one of your recent "Short Time" podcasts? ;)

These young men and their skills are worthy of discussion and attention.

NAIA is the most exciting athletic division in any sport. Lot of stuff that just can't happen within the institutional boundaries of the NCAA. You get a few success stories in the NCAA, but it's mostly kids that have done their sport since they were 5 years old and have had amazing coaching and extreme discipline. Just not as exciting as an immigrant making a name for themselves in Kansas or a comeback kid finding their home at a small school in Indiana, and other stuff along those lines. I really wish athletics as a whole could follow the free flowing nature of the NAIA, but I get it.

Thanks for highlighting this!

5 hours ago, moodybooty said:

Lot of stuff that just can't happen within the institutional boundaries of the NCAA.

Like steroids haha. Not necessarily true but it is in their football for sure. NAIAs are fun to watch though. There are always a few guys in there that should be D1 but are not for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

2 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Like steroids. Also, NAIAs are fun to watch. There are always a few guys in there that should be D1 but are not for a variety of reasons.

Plenty of guys on gear in the NCAA.

One of the greatest tournaments I've ever been to. Drama, emotion, big swings in momentum, team race changing almost match by match. 

Save all that crap that isn't relevant to this tournament for another discussion, it only serves to dampen the amazing wrestling competition that's been unfolding just outside of Wichita. 

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

One of the greatest tournaments I've ever been to. Drama, emotion, big swings in momentum, team race changing almost match by match. 

Save all that crap that isn't relevant to this tournament for another discussion, it only serves to dampen the amazing wrestling competition that's been unfolding just outside of Wichita. 

Everything happening to an athlete is relevant to their competition. You move a lil different when a scholarship is the only reason you're able to live in the US on a student visa, or you had your PO keeping you longer than expected and you missed the first half of practice. I hear you though.

Didn’t former PSU wrestler/current Life U assistant Matt McCutcheon say he’d enter Midlands next year or something if Life won?

On the BASCHAMANIA podcast. Cenzo talked him into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I must have missed when Life U jumped into the picture as a major national title threat.  Not a major NAIA follower, but I haven’t heard of Life bring in the title hunt before.       

That's because, for the most part, nobody was a major national title threat to Grand View for the better part of the last decade. Grand View won by 72.5 points last year over Menlo (Life finished tenth), and skunked Life in the finals of National Duals 40-0. The year before, Grand View won by 134 points over Lindsey Wilson (Life finished third)! Jason tweeted that the last time there was a team race was 2013, but I'm not sure of the circumstances...he would be, of course...but the national title race the last few years has been anticlimactic, to put it mildly.

To put it another way, last time Grand View did NOT win the NAIA Championship, Life did not yet have a wrestling team.

Edited by SetonHallPirate