nom

Where will S Lee fit in the pantheon of four timers?

Many place Sanderson and Dake as top 2.  Does Lee fit in one of those slots?  Ahead of P Smith?  L Steiber?

(yes, he hasn’t don’t it yet.  But he will.  Or, I have jinxed him bad.  If so, early apologies)

Edited by nom

Just now, nom said:

Many place Sanderson and Dake as top 2.  Does Lee fit in one of those slots?  Ahead of P Smith?  L Steiber?

Definitely would put him ahead of Steibler , but you can’t put him in front of Cael 159-0 or Dake 4 different weights, including going up and beating DT and another one of his titles is over an ncaa champ and Olympian...I think the argument would be is he 3 or 4 

4th or 5th.  The mere fact one will occur in the single most watered down NCAA Tourney in history makes you think what the others achieved is slightly greater. It doesn't diminish his talent, just this specific achievement that gets dinged up a little. 

Edited by TBar1977

31 minutes ago, nom said:

(yes, he hasn’t don’t it yet.  But he will.  Or, I have jinxed him bad.  If so, early apologies)

I think he is on track to be a three timer.

I don't know the details of everyone who has gone 3/3, but I have to imagine that he stacks up well.  (McCready, van Bebber, Caldwell, R. Peery, Flood, Martin, McDaniel, Henson, Arndt, Koll, Lange, Nelson, Hutton, Young, H. Peery, Roderick, E. Peery, Hodge, Hayes, Simons, Uetake, Caruso)

Of course, Lee would rank behind Uetake.

Edited by Katie

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

I think he is on track to be a three timer.

I don't know the details of everyone who has gone 3/3, but I have to imagine that he stacks up well.  (McCready, van Bebber, Caldwell, R. Peery, Flood, Martin, McDaniel, Henson, Arndt, Koll, Lange, Nelson, Hutton, Young, H. Peery, Roderick, E. Peery, Hodge, Hayes, Simons, Caruso)

Of course, Lee would rank behind Uetake.

Why can't he be a 4-timer or even a 5-timer?

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Can't be a 5 timer. At most he can win this year and next, assuming he chooses to keep wrestling college beyond this year despite it no longer being challenging. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Can't be a 5 timer. At most he can win this year and next, assuming he chooses to keep wrestling college beyond this year despite it no longer being challenging. 

Oh, right, next year would be his "free" year. I guess the only way to win five is to win as a freshman this year.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Well he's going for his third title this month. 

Did he say whether he will return next year to try for four?  If he did, I missed that announcement.

I'm not sure how he could possibly wrestle for 5.

Just now, Katie said:

Did he say whether he will return next year to try for four?  If he did, I missed that announcement.

I am not aware of any announcement either. But it's possible and why wouldn't he go for 4? There has to be some kind of grad school that would interest him and he could become a wrestling immortal.

I am not aware of any announcement either. But it's possible and why wouldn't he go for 4? There has to be some kind of grad school that would interest him and he could become a wrestling immortal.
Maybe he has higher goals in wrestling like being a multiple world and olympic champion. Just guessing though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Katie said:

Pretty sure during one Of Iowa’s duals on big ten this season Jim gibbons said everyone on Iowa will return next year except Eierman

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Pretty sure during one Of Iowa’s duals on big ten this season Jim gibbons said everyone on Iowa will return next year except Eierman

Good thing Kemerer can come back to get that key 7th year. 

Why wouldn’t Eierman come back? Just wants to graduate and move on? I get it, but he could be a two time champ, potentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Why wouldn’t Eierman come back? Just wants to graduate and move on? I get it, but he could be a two time champ, potentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dudes pushing 30 lol but in reality I’ve heard since his early Missouri days that’s he’s only in school for wrestling ...to quote the great cardale Jones..” we ain’t here to play school” 

honestly I don’t blame him if he doesn’t come back, he’s like 5th on the US ladder, he ll have his degree, baring something unfortunate he ll be a 4x AA, most likely with a team title 

2 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

Any of the other 4 timers ever get pinned in their collegiate career?

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Prob not, but he may be the second most dominant of the five.

Pat smith was pinned during his career by someone from Portland State 

29 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Pat smith was pinned during his career by someone from Portland State 

Interesting. I doubt Dake ever gave up back points. I wonder if Stieber ever did.

Edited by NJDan

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Interesting. I doubt Dake ever gave up back points. I wonder is Stieber ever did.

Stieber had 3 loses ...N Dardanes 5-3 ..J.O. In a 1 takedown match   And zain 4-2 OT 

so unless Dardanes got him for a quick 2 I don’t believe he was ever turned 

Edited by Antitroll2828

45 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Stieber had 3 loses ...N Dardanes 5-3 ..J.O. In a 1 takedown match   And zain 4-2 OT 

so unless Dardanes got him for a quick 2 I don’t believe he was ever turned 

Zain's 4 pts were an ESC, a RT point, and a TD in OT. 

The thing helping Lee in any of these debates is level of competition early.  He came into the weight with Nathan Tomasello a dominant, physical senior previous NCAA champion and two time third, and mollywhomped him.  He beat Suriano in the Finals, who won the title the next year at the next weight.  There's also something to be said for doing it at the lowest weight, which is often among the most competitive. Then there's just the eyepopping numbers, plus the potential to approach Cael's NCAA scoring record.

In the end, there's no way he can pass Cael or Dake.  After that, he could be in the conversation for 3rd.

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Definitely would put him ahead of Steibler , but you can’t put him in front of Cael 159-0 or Dake 4 different weights, including going up and beating DT and another one of his titles is over an ncaa champ and Olympian...I think the argument would be is he 3 or 4 

Stieber won Big Ten x4 and NCAA x 4.

Spencer Lee finished 3rd and 2nd in the Big Ten his first two years.

As great as he is, he's probably not "definitely ahead" of Logan Stieber.