Jump to content
nom

Wow - Ohio State, IL, & WI

Recommended Posts

Ohio state in 9th place at Big 10's before finals matches.  9th??  What the.  That is a big freaking drop off.

Illinois - I thought I heard several people saying they were coming on  this year. 11th place.

Wisconsin - I thought this team was really coming on.  But it looks like Gross was why I was thinking that.   12th place.

On the flip side ... Michigan State in 5th.  

Wow, what a difference 1 year makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ohio state in 9th place at Big 10's before finals matches.  9th??  What the.  That is a big freaking drop off.
Illinois - I thought I heard several people saying they were coming on  this year. 11th place.
Wisconsin - I thought this team was really coming on.  But it looks like Gross was why I was thinking that.   12th place.
On the flip side ... Michigan State in 5th.  
Wow, what a difference 1 year makes.
It's nice to see more parity in the big ten imo.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nom said:

Ohio state in 9th place at Big 10's before finals matches.  9th??  What the.  That is a big freaking drop off.

Illinois - I thought I heard several people saying they were coming on  this year. 11th place.

Wisconsin - I thought this team was really coming on.  But it looks like Gross was why I was thinking that.   12th place.

On the flip side ... Michigan State in 5th.  

Wow, what a difference 1 year makes.

I know Wisconsin got a lot of hype when Bono went there but he hasn’t done anything really to improve the team.. he brought in askren to run their non existent RTC then he quit with in a year 

he brought gross with him and landed Amos but every other recruit has pretty much be a disaster

wick is a Barry Davis recruit and he’s regressed since Bono arrived 

I don’t think the future is very bright for Wisconsin 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd give Bono a couple of more years. Burwick came out of nowhere to place 5th, I'd like to see next year's record with adding Amos, and assuming Wick comes back. Also Hillger has one more year if he wants it, and Barnett started to wrestle well earlier in the season although the tournament was a disappointment. 

Edited by potentiallydangerous
Clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I know Wisconsin got a lot of hype when Bono went there but he hasn’t done anything really to improve the team.. he brought in askren to run their non existent RTC then he quit with in a year 

he brought gross with him and landed Amos but every other recruit has pretty much be a disaster

wick is a Barry Davis recruit and he’s regressed since Bono arrived 

I don’t think the future is very bright for Wisconsin 

Wick going from 3rd to 4th at NCAAs is technically a regression, but that’s splitting hairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WI picked up a top 10 kid from Montini. They have studs at 165 and 197. They’ll be much better next year.

Bring from IL, and being a U of I grad, I’m perplexed by their inability to keep ANY of the best kids in state.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Le duke said:

WI picked up a top 10 kid from Montini. They have studs at 165 and 197. They’ll be much better next year.

Bring from IL, and being a U of I grad, I’m perplexed by their inability to keep ANY of the best kids in state.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rumors I heard said that the IL hs coaches despised Perry and refused to send kids that way. Then the momentum of that plus U of I not being “the school” for Illinois the way tOSU and Michigan are for there’s and you get this situation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

I'd give Bono a couple of more years. Burwick came out of nowhere to place 5th, I'd like to see next year's record with adding Amos, and assuming Wick comes back. Also Hillger has one more year if he wants it, and Barnett started to wrestle well earlier in the season although the tournament was a disappointment. 

Hillger was a Barry Davis hold over along with Wick. 0 AA recruits for Bono thus far! Alvarez should have listened to his alumni and brought Pritzlaff back or stuck with Barry. Bono & staff cost way more than Barry & staff for similar or even poorer results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the case of Illinois, being a very solid dual team doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be good in a tournament setting.  Especially in the B1G.  Losing Carr really hurt as well.

Here were their seeds and results:

125: 10th  lost to the  6,7 and 9 seeds.  beat the 14.

133:  3 seed.  took 3rd and looked REALLY good doing it.  Made DeSanto work his azz off to squeeze it out in the Semis.

141:  5 seed. took 7th.  Lost to Red(4seed) took 4th and Filius(9 seed) took 5th

149:  13 seed and went 0-2  Carr being injured CRUSHED THEM.

157:   12 seed and went 1-2.

165:  2 seed.  Definitely faultered, but I believe he was overseeded due to 1 win over Smith.  Went 0-2 but came back to win the 9th place bracket to still have a chance to qualify.

174:  11 seed.  Went 1-2

184:  8 seed and took 9th.

197:  8 seed lost to the 9th seed in OT and then the 7th seed.  They didn't wrestle for 9th at that weight.

285:  4 seed took 8th.  285 was a minefield at B1Gs.  

They really didn't have that poor of a performance, they really got hurt by losing Carr and their best guys were at loaded weights.

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DJP said:

Hillger was a Barry Davis hold over along with Wick. 0 AA recruits for Bono thus far! Alvarez should have listened to his alumni and brought Pritzlaff back or stuck with Barry. Bono & staff cost way more than Barry & staff for similar or even poorer results. 

At the time Coach Davis was invited to retire, was Donny Pritzlaff available? Also, I thought Barry Alvarez had some resentment or reservations about that because of the past. I could be wrong.

 

Bono didn't have a ncaa tournament last year but would have had AA from Seth Gross and possibly Tristan Moran.

Edited by potentiallydangerous
Expound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

HAt the time Coach Davis was invited to retire, was Donny Pritzlaff available? Also, I thought Barry Alvarez had some resentment or reservations about that because of the past. I could be wrong.

 

Bono didn't have a ncaa tournament last year but would have had AA from Seth Gross and possibly Tristan Moran.

Pritzlaff is technically always available as he’s only an assistant at Rutgers ,I would rather have the guy who replaced Bono in Damian Hahn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Pritzlaff is technically always available as he’s only an assistant at Rutgers ,I would rather have the guy who replaced Bono in Damian Hahn 

When Pritzlaff and Jared Frayer were assisting Davis they were the best team  I remember in the past 20 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

In the case of Illinois, being a very solid dual team doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be good in a tournament setting.  Especially in the B1G.  Losing Carr really hurt as well.

Here were their seeds and results:

125: 10th  lost to the  6,7 and 9 seeds.  beat the 14.

133:  3 seed.  took 3rd and looked REALLY good doing it.  Made DeSanto work his azz off to squeeze it out in the Semis.

141:  5 seed. took 7th.  Lost to Red(4seed) took 4th and Filius(9 seed) took 5th

149:  13 seed and went 0-2  Carr being injured CRUSHED THEM.

157:   12 seed and went 1-2.

165:  2 seed.  Definitely faultered, but I believe he was overseeded due to 1 win over Smith.  Went 0-2 but came back to win the 9th place bracket to still have a chance to qualify.

174:  11 seed.  Went 1-2

184:  8 seed and took 9th.

197:  8 seed lost to the 9th seed in OT and then the 7th seed.  They didn't wrestle for 9th at that weight.

285:  4 seed took 8th.  285 was a minefield at B1Gs.  

They really didn't have that poor of a performance, they really got hurt by losing Carr and their best guys were at loaded weights.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.  But .... How do you write this ... all that research ... and then conclude they didn’t have that poor of a performance.  
 

No one did better than seed.  Looks like at least 6 did worse than seed.  A few others didn’t even register in placement so can’t quite tell, but they did poorly.  One guy seeded at 2 got ninth (you say over seeded, fine.  But that should have helped).
 

One guy, ONE guy, placed better than 7th place.  And he was the one guy you can say looked good.  One guy got 7th, the rest were 8th or well worse (bottom 50%)
 

I would be shocked if those near the IL program did not think this was a poor showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nom said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this.  But .... How do you write this ... all that research ... and then conclude they didn’t have that poor of a performance.  
 

No one did better than seed.  Looks like at least 6 did worse than seed.  A few others didn’t even register in placement so can’t quite tell, but they did poorly.  One guy seeded at 2 got ninth (you say over seeded, fine.  But that should have helped).
 

One guy, ONE guy, placed better than 7th place.  And he was the one guy you can say looked good.  One guy got 7th, the rest were 8th or well worse (bottom 50%)
 

I would be shocked if those near the IL program did not think this was a poor showing.

Seriously?  I thought we weren't supposed to talk to each other???  You COMPLETELY ignored the seeds to make your argument.  The whole point of my post was that they ARE NOT a tournament team and they were seeded appropriately............

With that said:

  125 did exactly what he was seeded to do.

  133 wrestled a GREAT tournament.  Losing 5-4 to DeSanto is better than ANYONE thought and he dominated in the 3rd place match.

141 took 7th instead of 5th.  Call it a drop off, that is fine.  But 5th was the ABSOLUTE BEST HE WAS GOING TO DO.  The top 4 were fricking Eierman, Lee, Rivera and Red.  Also, Filius is the same guy that lost to Rivera 7-6 during the year, so that isn't really a bad loss either.

149 Losing Carr was a KILLER  Backup was expected to go 0-2 and did.

157 Winning a match as the 12 seed is actually BETTER than what you should do....He was LITERALLY only seeded above 2 people

165 Braunagel absolutely underperformed, but at least he came back for 9th.

174 11 seed and went 1-2.  Exactly what he should have done

184 8 seed took 9th and the 9th seed that beat him was Brands, who took 4th.

197 Another 8 seed that lost to the 9 seed and they didn't wrestle back to 9th at this weight

285  Luffman took 8th, but who was his bad loss to?  That weight was BRUTALLY deep.  

 

So, on its face you may not have liked where Illinois finished, but other than 165, they were pretty much RIGHT WHERE they were supposed to be......I mean who lost matches that they absolutely shouldn't have?  Braunagel 2xs maybe.  Other than him, who took a bad loss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, potentiallydangerous said:

At the time Coach Davis was invited to retire, was Donny Pritzlaff available? Also, I thought Barry Alvarez had some resentment or reservations about that because of the past. I could be wrong.

 

Bono didn't have a ncaa tournament last year but would have had AA from Seth Gross and possibly Tristan Moran.

It was heavily rumored that Pritzlaff interviewed for a lateral move assistant coaching position at Michigan without the permission of Barry Alverez.  This was right after Alverez renewed Davis and Pritzlaff was upset that he didn’t get offered the head job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jchapman said:

It was heavily rumored that Pritzlaff interviewed for a lateral move assistant coaching position at Michigan without the permission of Barry Alverez.  This was right after Alverez renewed Davis and Pritzlaff was upset that he didn’t get offered the head job.

He would have been better if he made an appointment with Alvarez, said be believed he'd reached his ceiling here and would like to interview at schools where a head coach position might open up sooner, that would have left the door open for coming back later 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...