Sign in to follow this  
southend

Rematch bouts

I was just thinking about the Big Ten finals, and the one sided matches, there is no way Schroeder is beating Lee, with a rematch as with Deakin and Young match . But what about the other not so obvious choices here? 
Just picking (1) one , out of the ten final matches yesterday, you are the most sure of that the results is going to be different?

Mine would be the Marinelli/Smith match.

10 minutes ago, southend said:

I was just thinking about the Big Ten finals, and the one sided matches, there is no way Schroeder is beating Lee, with a rematch as with Deakin and Young match . But what about the other not so obvious choices here? 
Just picking (1) one , out of the ten final matches yesterday, you are the most sure of that the results is going to be different?

You think Smith will beat Marinelli at nationals?

7 minutes ago, southend said:

You are most sure that Ethan Smith is going to reverse the result against Marinelli?  That's interesting given the finals we saw, but it's not totally out of the ballpark.  Only 5 finals were relatively close:  133, 141, 149, 165, and 197.  Of those, I think 141 is the most likely to change, then 133, then 165, then 197, then 149.  Eye of the beholder, though.

3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

You think Smith will beat Marinelli at nationals?

Yes, tight match last year. Several take downs by both. This year low scoring. I think Smith would get him if theydid it again this year. 

2 minutes ago, southend said:

Yes, tight match last year. Several take downs by both. This year low scoring. I think Smith would get him if theydid it again this year. 

The match last year was not tight. It was 6 takedowns to 2, 2 minutes of RT, and Marinelli was on track for a major when he got sloppy and gave up a takedown and rideout to end it. It was as dominant a 4 point match as you'll ever see.

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The Bull got tired, but it's also his first match back from COVID.  I tend to think it won't be as close next time they wrestle, but all opinions here!

Yeah Marinelli didn't look himself all tournament. Amine wrestled him just as tough as Smith.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Yeah Marinelli didn't look himself all tournament. Amine wrestled him just as tough as Smith.

Meh, I just saw that as more Amine being content to not get blown out.  I just went back and rewatched it, and Amine didn't take a shot until 30 seconds left in the match.  Strong kid, held position, but not really threatening.  I felt Smith threatened in the Final.

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

His non-stop intensity almost reminds me of Retherford. 

That was my comparison when he was coming in. Very similar style on their feet.

However, I never really felt like Eierman was in danger of losing that match and he held up to that pace just fine. The mat wrestling is going to be a problem. I've also seen some chatter about Lee/Rivera being a 4/5 quarter and I'm not sure he survives that rematch.

10 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Agree.  I was only comparing the non-stop intensity.

And he has the Achilles heel of being ridden and un able to get out from bottom, un like Rutherford. 

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

His non-stop intensity almost reminds me of Retherford. 

I'm going to hijack your comment a bit. I know you are comparing intensity. But since you mentioned Nick Lee, I'll take the opportunity to make a confession. I'm not really sure where all the love for Nick Lee comes from. He's a very good wrestler, for sure. But he's not great. He'll do good to win one title in his collegiate career, but there's a good chance he doesn't win any.

Mid-season last year, it appeared he jumped levels. But he didn't end his season on a grand note - 1) He beat Chad Red and was never in any real danger of losing, but it was still close in the waning seconds of the match, with Lee winning 7-5. 2) He then lost to Luke Pletcher in his next (and final) match of the year..

This past weekend, he won an extremely close match against Rivera that could have gone either way. And he lost to Eierman.

In my opinion, Nick Lee never really 'jumped levels'. He went from being good to very good, but he didn't make the leap from being good to being a juggernaut. In no way is Nick Lee at the level of a collegiate Zain, or any of the other recent PSU greats.

38 minutes ago, wrestleFan12 said:

I'm going to hijack your comment a bit. I know you are comparing intensity. But since you mentioned Nick Lee, I'll take the opportunity to make a confession. I'm not really sure where all the love for Nick Lee comes from. He's a very good wrestler, for sure. But he's not great. He'll do good to win one title in his collegiate career, but there's a good chance he doesn't win any.

Mid-season last year, it appeared he jumped levels. But he didn't end his season on a grand note - 1) He beat Chad Red and was never in any real danger of losing, but it was still close in the waning seconds of the match, with Lee winning 7-5. 2) He then lost to Luke Pletcher in his next (and final) match of the year..

This past weekend, he won an extremely close match against Rivera that could have gone either way. And he lost to Eierman.

In my opinion, Nick Lee never really 'jumped levels'. He went from being good to very good, but he didn't make the leap from being good to being a juggernaut. In no way is Nick Lee at the level of a collegiate Zain, or any of the other recent PSU greats.

He's likeable.

16 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Meh, I just saw that as more Amine being content to not get blown out.  I just went back and rewatched it, and Amine didn't take a shot until 30 seconds left in the match.  Strong kid, held position, but not really threatening.  I felt Smith threatened in the Final.

Agreed, but that’s the only way Marinelli loses. One of these guys keeping it close and hitting a takedown in the last minute of the match. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Agreed, but that’s the only way Marinelli loses. One of these guys keeping it close and hitting a takedown in the last minute of the match. 

Maybe, that’s not the only way he could loses, but definitely one way.