lu1979

Gable and the rest of the Big Guys

Gable has immense God given talent and a strong work ethic, which means those qualities come basically from the way he was created. In other words, he is stronger, faster, more agile and can move better as a birthright. What he seriously lacks is specialized knowledge and overall technical wizardry; and also in creative intelligence considering he's been on the mat for that many years. Watching him lay on top of guys after outmaneuvering lumbering oaks is painful at times. He's a great athlete, but not a wrestling savant by any means. If he approached the nuanced level of Spencer Lee or Jaydin Eierman he would be pinning the majority of his opponents, but instead there is a near neanderthal-like quality to his matches. Impressive nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Gable is a solid HWT, but perhaps not as amazing as you think. He never faced Kole Conrad, or Steve Mocco, or Gwiz. He was beaten 2 out of 3 by a blown up 197 pounder a couple years ago. Steveson is very good, but I suggest the lack of competition makes him look better than he is. 

Regarding Parris I can't think of any HWT champs of the last 20 years he'd have beaten, outside possibly Dustin Fox or Mark Ellis. 

Gable has really transformed his body from where he was 2 years ago.  He's gone from an 18 yo boy to a full grown man.  He would probably rip cassar's head off right now.  Parris is only a world champion in his own right.  I guess that doesn't make for good comp.  

I think Gable wins the Olympic trials pretty comfortably. He obviously didn't leave the weight room during the whole quarantine and keeps getting better. He's clearly way ahead of Parris and I think Gwiz may have lost a step from his peak. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I think Gable wins the Olympic trials pretty comfortably. He obviously didn't leave the weight room during the whole quarantine and keeps getting better. He's clearly way ahead of Parris and I think Gwiz may have lost a step from his peak. 

This.  Parris is the second best guy in the NCAA and on the senior level in the USA now.  Gable is head and shoulders above Parris at the moment.

What are some examples of a wrestler being soundly defeated at the conference tournament and then winning the rematch at the national tournament? I would assume it has happened on occasion.

And I am not implying that I believe Parris will do this. 

48 minutes ago, Henry said:

What are some examples of a wrestler being soundly defeated at the conference tournament and then winning the rematch at the national tournament? I would assume it has happened on occasion.

Palmer beat Metcalf at Big 10 finals senior year but Metcalf won the rematch in the NCAA final.

Imar beat Cenzo in the Big 10 finals but Cenzo won the rematch in the NCAA final.

Hall beat Zahid in a dual meet (I realize this is not a conference championship), then Zahid won in the NCAA final.

There are a lot of examples.

14 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Palmer beat Metcalf at Big 10 finals senior year but Metcalf won the rematch in the NCAA final.

Imar beat Cenzo in the Big 10 finals but Cenzo won the rematch in the NCAA final.

Hall beat Zahid in a dual meet (I realize this is not a conference championship), then Zahid won in the NCAA final.

There are a lot of examples.

How about after getting majored in the conference final?

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Donahue beating Hazwinkle. I’m pretty sure Hazwinkle majored him at conference 

Edited by mob

2 hours ago, Henry said:

The Donahue over Haze match was already mentioned by mob so I going with another favorite Rosholt over S Barker Mo 13-5 @ NCAAs after losing in B12 finals 9-1.

4 hours ago, zephyr424 said:

Gable has immense God given talent and a strong work ethic, which means those qualities come basically from the way he was created. In other words, he is stronger, faster, more agile and can move better as a birthright. What he seriously lacks is specialized knowledge and overall technical wizardry; and also in creative intelligence considering he's been on the mat for that many years. Watching him lay on top of guys after outmaneuvering lumbering oaks is painful at times. He's a great athlete, but not a wrestling savant by any means. If he approached the nuanced level of Spencer Lee or Jaydin Eierman he would be pinning the majority of his opponents, but instead there is a near neanderthal-like quality to his matches. Impressive nonetheless.

Wait what? Am I understanding correctly? 

Dude, Gable is as technically good as any American Hwt ever. He’s one of the best technicians in this country at all weights. He chooses not to wrestle on the mat just like Snyder chose not to bc they have bigger goals, and folkstyle mat wrestling doesn’t help accomplish those. Gable is the least “Neanderthal-like” hwt in the country by far.

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Gable is a solid HWT, but perhaps not as amazing as you think. He never faced Kole Conrad, or Steve Mocco, or Gwiz. He was beaten 2 out of 3 by a blown up 197 pounder a couple years ago. Steveson is very good, but I suggest the lack of competition makes him look better than he is. 

Regarding Parris I can't think of any HWT champs of the last 20 years he'd have beaten, outside possibly Dustin Fox or Mark Ellis. 

What? Gable(and Mason) beat Gwiz already.  Cole knows Gable is better than he ever was. Sorry Gable lost two tight matches to a 23 year old “blown up 197” when he was 18. Remind me again how old Mocco was as a freshman....

23 hours ago, simple said:

What? Gable(and Mason) beat Gwiz already.  Cole knows Gable is better than he ever was. Sorry Gable lost two tight matches to a 23 year old “blown up 197” when he was 18. Remind me again how old Mocco was as a freshman....

Did King Cole say this?  Not debating, just wondering where you heard this.  PS: Would love to see a prime Conrad vs. Steveson.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, TobusRex said:

He was 18 when Cassar beat him- There have been exactly zero 18 year olds who had a shot at winning an ncaa title other than gable.

Rosholt and the kid from Mizzou went from a major in the conference tourney to a major the opposite way at NCAAs.

Gable right now is the best heavy since Stephen Neal.