Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Minnesota Gophers next coach

When the time comes for J to retire, who do you think will replace him? Will they tap someone that has been working under J (Eggum, Becker...etc) or would they be likely to go outside the program for their next coach?

What do you think?

Eggum

Morgan

Kish

First names that came to my mind as well.

NO OTHER NAMES NEEDED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>................................

I like Eggum a lot, from what I have seen and the few times I have had interactions with him. He seems to be more of a thinking mans coach, not a yeller and screamer. Some athletes like this type of coach, wheras some need/want someone yelling at them constantly to get them going. He didn't seem to have much trouble getting the team ready during the time that J missed this year.

Why wouldn't you go with Brandon Eggum or Marty Morgan? They know the program inside and out. The mentality and training regimes of J Robinson obviously are working with top 4 NCAA finishes being quite the norm in Minneapolis. The system is working. Both Dardanes brothers had to beat top notch quality, returning AA's to be All Americans this year. Thorn had to as well. I'm impressed with the conditioning level of Minnesota wrestlers, and would attribute that to why so many of them did so well through the wrestle backs this year.

What's going on at Minnesota is working, so it'd be foolish to try and change it. When the time comes, the position belongs to either Morgan or Eggum.

The question for me is when will this happen?

We've been hearing that J has, literally, no knee and that he will eventually get a total knee replacement. At a similar point in his career, when he got his first hip replacement, Gable retired, am I correct?

Can you continue to coach wrestling if you're physically unable to get on the mat?

I would think J's retirement would be imminent.

The question for me is when will this happen?

We've been hearing that J has, literally, no knee and that he will eventually get a total knee replacement. At a similar point in his career, when he got his first hip replacement, Gable retired, am I correct?

Can you continue to coach wrestling if you're physically unable to get on the mat?

I would think J's retirement would be imminent.

I think it was his second hip replacement that forced Gable to retire. Actually, I think it was hip joint that forced Gable to retire. Not sure. Iowan would shed some light on this.

Edit: I did some research. Apparently, Dan Gable was forced to retire because of chronic knee and back injuries. That prevented him from coaching full time.

Gable had torn a meniscus in his knee before the Olympics. His doc recommended surgery, and Gable declined, not wanting to stop training and going through rehab so close to '72 Olympics. So he got his gold with a bum knee, and had surgery afterward.

In those days it was not an arthroscopic procedure. They basically took out the whole cartilage, leaving bone on bone. This inevitably leads to osteoarthritis. I've read this lead to Gable altering his gait, putting more stress on the hip joint, with eventually osteoarthritis there. With the altered mechanics and stresses, the other hip can follow as can lower back. I wasn't aware of lower back problems Gable had (except neck), but he did end up with both hip joints replaced.

One thing often leads to another, just like in the old song....knee bone's connected to the thigh bone.... the thigh bone's connected, .... etc

I have to think that former long-time Gopher assistant and current George Mason head coach Joe Russell could be in the mix as well. Joe is highly regarded and had an excellent run at Minnesota....serving as head-assistant coach his last 4 years there.

http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=611268&SPID=80369&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=205181765&Q_SEASON=2012

Dan Gable could still coach and out coach most others. He retired because he couldn't roll on the mat with his guys. There is a big difference.

What other sport has its coaches competing with their athletes in practice? Not just to demonstrate something, but actually going with them?

You don't see most other coaches doing this. Especially not 40 year olds.

Dan Gable could still coach and out coach most others. He retired because he couldn't roll on the mat with his guys. There is a big difference.

What other sport has its coaches competing with their athletes in practice? Not just to demonstrate something, but actually going with them?

From what I understand, Gable was not rolling on the mat with his wrestlers for many years prior to his retirement. Maybe someone else would be able to confirm.

From what I understand, Gable was not rolling on the mat with his wrestlers for many years prior to his retirement. Maybe someone else would be able to confirm.

Confirmed. I am the mat.

Confirmed. I am the mat.

"biggest loser" Matt? Get out!