Dondante88

Spencer Lee coming back for 2021-22

Iowa will return all 10 starters.  They will have 8 seniors next year (2 7th year, 2 6th year, 2 5th year and 2 "traditional" seniors).  It will be the most experienced team in NCAA wrestling history and a heavy favorite to repeat as champs, again.

Only Nelson Brands and Cassioppi won't be seniors next year - both will only be juniors, relative babies compared to the 8 other seniors.

Those 6 super-seniors better be graduating with masters and PhDs, unless they've just got money to burn on credits for fun.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Crazy that they are all coming back. I love it. I have no idea how Brands can keep them on scholarship, but that’s incredible. 

I’m particularly glad Lee is, given his 4 timer status (potential) was taken away from him. It’s bad enough if a guy gets injured and can’t make the tournament, but him missing bc of a pandemic would’ve sucked. Now he can get his 4 and gets credit for doing it without redshirting. 

As good as Iowa is and will be next year, a few teams are building and could challenge them. We will see. Either way, you can’t be mad about more AA level wrestlers wrestling more. That’s always a good thing as a fan

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa will return all 10 starters.  They will have 8 seniors next year (2 7th year, 2 6th year, 2 5th year and 2 "traditional" seniors).  It will be the most experienced team in NCAA wrestling history and a heavy favorite to repeat as champs, again.

Only Nelson Brands and Cassioppi won't be seniors next year - both will only be juniors, relative babies compared to the 8 other seniors.

Those 6 super-seniors better be graduating with masters and PhDs, unless they've just got money to burn on credits for fun.

They have to be on track to get some kind of degree. NCAA finally did that to stop kids from just taking gen Ed’s all year

12 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Crazy that they are all coming back. I love it. I have no idea how Brands can keep them on scholarship, but that’s incredible. 

I’m particularly glad Lee is, given his 4 timer status (potential) was taken away from him. It’s bad enough if a guy gets injured and can’t make the tournament, but him missing bc of a pandemic would’ve sucked. Now he can get his 4 and gets credit for doing it without redshirting. 

As good as Iowa is and will be next year, a few teams are building and could challenge them. We will see. Either way, you can’t be mad about more AA level wrestlers wrestling more. That’s always a good thing as a fan

The NCAA is allowing some flexibility next year in that regard. Can't quote anything specific.

16 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

And the bigger question is how do they all stay enrolled at the university?  Universities don't just let folks hang around and take class and they don't accept average students into graduate programs. I'm guessing some of these guys are below average academically.  

PS: although I do recall that pd3 guy was supposed to be accepted into an Iowa grad program so that might tell you something about the university standards. 

Edited by ionel

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What does the typical D1 wrestler study anyway? 

Wow.  Picture being a senior in HS, and then then having the chance to stick around, 1, 2, 3 more years and compete in HS wrestling.  Wouldn’t that be so cool!  Oh man.  How great would that be!  Beating up on guys you are 5, 6, 7 years older than.  Guys who have had far less experience too!!  Oh man.  That would be awesome.  I’d feel so much better about myself.  So much more superior.  Oh man. Oh man!  So cool!!

15 minutes ago, nom said:

Wow.  Picture being a senior in HS, and then then having the chance to stick around, 1, 2, 3 more years and compete in HS wrestling.  Wouldn’t that be so cool!  Oh man.  How great would that be!  Beating up on guys you are 5, 6, 7 years older than.  Guys who have had far less experience too!!  Oh man.  That would be awesome.  I’d feel so much better about myself.  So much more superior.  Oh man. Oh man!  So cool!!

Once at the collegiate level, we're beyond those kinds of concerns.  For example, military wrestlers and Mormon missionaries wrestle at a much older age.  If your concern were about just getting the additional years, sure.  But the age thing is a red herring.

Edited by VakAttack

Hard to imagine Penn State doesn't return everyone. There's only one senior. With six current freshman, you'd expect a bigger improvement than Iowa. Interesting to see if they'll close the gap.

I’m on record saying 4 years.  4 freaking years.  That is your window.  Use it wisely. And then done.  Grow up and move on.  No redshirt.  No medical waiver.  4 years.  

can there be exceptions for special situations.  I’m sure there can be.  But for the vast majority, play the sport.  Get a degree and become a fully contributing member of society.  If grad school is your thing, good!  Focus on it!  If want to keep wrestling, good!  Senior Circuit!!

14 minutes ago, nom said:

I’m on record saying 4 years.  4 freaking years.  That is your window.  Use it wisely. And then done.  Grow up and move on.  No redshirt.  No medical waiver.  4 years.  

can there be exceptions for special situations.  I’m sure there can be.  But for the vast majority, play the sport.  Get a degree and become a fully contributing member of society.  If grad school is your thing, good!  Focus on it!  If want to keep wrestling, good!  Senior Circuit!!

You don't like graduate school for some reason?

Sure, I respect that opinion. I disagree, but totally valid take.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’m in the distinct minority.  I know it.  In the mean time, I’ll enjoy college wrestling.

22 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Sure, I respect that opinion. I disagree, but totally valid take.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk