Dondante88

Spencer Lee coming back for 2021-22

40 minutes ago, nom said:

I’m on record saying 4 years.  4 freaking years.  That is your window.  Use it wisely. And then done.  Grow up and move on.  No redshirt.  No medical waiver.  4 years.  

can there be exceptions for special situations.  I’m sure there can be.  But for the vast majority, play the sport.  Get a degree and become a fully contributing member of society.  If grad school is your thing, good!  Focus on it!  If want to keep wrestling, good!  Senior Circuit!!

What about gray shirts?

57 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Once at the collegiate level, we're beyond those kinds of concerns.  For example, military wrestlers and Mormon missionaries wrestle at a much older age.  If your concern were about just getting the additional years, sure.  But the age thing is a red herring.

Grandpa Mike and Jaydin Eierman are not Mormon missionaries or military veterans, at least to my knowledge.  So they're not "beyond those kinds of concerns", at least imo.

Just now, AHamilton said:

Many of them are PSU fans.

I know. But given that Penn Stare fans like to portray Iowa fans as the simplistic rednecks and whatnot. The amount of deliberate cognitive dissonance is annoying 

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

These guys remain on scholarship through grad school, or at least partial scholarship. Wrestling is how they pay for it.

And that means deserving underclassman are paying more for their degree.  9.9 means those grad school guys are taking from the undergrads.

Huh, I wonder how the rest of non-athletic scholarship grad school population (99% of them) is able to do it?

2 minutes ago, nom said:

I don’t like grey shirts but how to stop it, I don’t know.  Hard to say you may not defer going to college.  

Start the "nom four year clock" as soon as high school is over.  Pretty simple.

They are all most likely coming back.

It's fine, you Pennstaters have great grand pa Taylor, and uncle Retherford, Bo, Nolf, Snyder, Joseph, and Gilman still around campus to train your team. Jeez, what a squad that practices with them. 

Edited by Daybreak

Just now, nom said:

And that means deserving underclassman are paying more for their degree.  9.9 means those grad school guys are taking from the undergrads.

Huh, I wonder how the rest of non-athletic scholarship grad school population (99% of them) is able to do it?

Isn't it more than 9.9 with the Covid issues?

2 hours ago, ionel said:

And the bigger question is how do they all stay enrolled at the university?  Universities don't just let folks hang around and take class and they don't accept average students into graduate programs. I'm guessing some of these guys are below average academically.  

PS: although I do recall that pd3 guy was supposed to be accepted into an Iowa grad program so that might tell you something about the university standards. 

Iowa is not exactly known for its rigorous academics...

A kid has always had 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility.  Throw in the ease with which kids can get medical hardship years, and 6 will be the norm.  It didn't use to be that easy to get a medical redshirt, I don't believe.  Olympic redshirts which is alot more than the old days.   So, I just hope these kids that use these extra years get value from their education(masters, advanced degrees, etc).

Just curious, how many AA's from last year could've competed this year but chose not to?  Could Joseph have competed?  Also, you have some of these "freshman" that have been in school for 2-3 years, or so it seems.  How long ago did Aaron Brooks and Joe Lee graduate?

Edited by pennsyrules

A kid has always had 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility.  Throw in the ease with which kids can get medical hardship years, and 6 will be the norm.  It didn't use to be that easy to get a medical redshirt, I don't believe.  Olympic redshirts which is alot more than the old days.   So, I just hope these kids that use these extra years get value from their education(masters, advanced degrees, etc).
Just curious, how many AA's from last year could've competed this year but chose not to?  Could Joseph have competed?  Also, you have some of these "freshman" that have been in school for 2-3 years, or so it seems.  How long ago did Aaron Brooks and Joe Lee graduate?

I don't believe seniors from last year had the option, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Aaron Brooks and Joe Lee both graduated high school in 2018.  Eireman  and Kemerer both graduated high school in 2015.

56 minutes ago, nom said:

They either don’t go, get other scholarships, take loans out or have family money. 

If they could get other scholarships, they would have. Every team helps their guys find money elsewhere first. 

family money they would use too. Happens a lot at psu. 

they pay for college/masters with wrestling. It’s a good thing. They either wouldn’t get the degrees or they would’ve gone into debt (or further debt) to get those degrees. 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

They either don’t go, get other scholarships, take loans out or have family money. 

If they could get other scholarships, they would have. Every team helps their guys find money elsewhere first. 

family money they would use too. Happens a lot at psu. 

they pay for college/masters with wrestling. It’s a good thing. They either wouldn’t get the degrees or they would’ve gone into debt (or further debt) to get those degrees. 

Almost everyone truly qualified in a serious grad program is getting some kind of money - TA money, fellowship money, scholarship money, research grant etc. Few are just paying tuition fully out of pocket, unless they  aren't really desirable to the program and they or their families are well off. As I was told, "If you have to fully pay for grad school ( Law and Med. excepted) yourself, you shouldn't be in grad school".

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa will return all 10 starters.  They will have 8 seniors next year (2 7th year, 2 6th year, 2 5th year and 2 "traditional" seniors).  It will be the most experienced team in NCAA wrestling history and a heavy favorite to repeat as champs, again.

Only Nelson Brands and Cassioppi won't be seniors next year - both will only be juniors, relative babies compared to the 8 other seniors.

Those 6 super-seniors better be graduating with masters and PhDs, unless they've just got money to burn on credits for fun.

Tony and Nelson will only be sophmores technically.

7 hours ago, jp157 said:

I know. But given that Penn Stare fans like to portray Iowa fans as the simplistic rednecks and whatnot. The amount of deliberate cognitive dissonance is annoying 

What? I thought they portrayed Iowans as backwood hicks? Simplistic redneck is a bit more sophisticated...

Edited by TobusRex