Dondante88

Spencer Lee coming back for 2021-22

6 hours ago, Major Kong said:

Almost everyone truly qualified in a serious grad program is getting some kind of money - TA money, fellowship money, scholarship money, research grant etc. Few are just paying tuition fully out of pocket, unless they  aren't really desirable to the program and they or their families are well off. As I was told, "If you have to fully pay for grad school ( Law and Med. excepted) yourself, you shouldn't be in grad school".

I think Yianni's family is quite well off. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on scholarship. Come to think of it, the Ivies don't offer Athletic schollies anymore do they? 

Edited by TobusRex

29 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I think Yianni's family is quite well off. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on scholarship. Come to think of it, the Ivies don't offer Athletic schollies anymore do they? 

They have financial aid.  

I don't know him but YD has to be getting something.  He's the best guy in the country at 141.

15 hours ago, ionel said:

And the bigger question is how do they all stay enrolled at the university?  Universities don't just let folks hang around and take class and they don't accept average students into graduate programs. I'm guessing some of these guys are below average academically.  

Hawkeyes Lead Country with 8 NWCA Academic Honorees – University of Iowa Athletics
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2020/04/30/wrestling-hawkeyes-lead-country-with-8-nwca-academic-honorees/

20 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa will return all 10 starters.  They will have 8 seniors next year (2 7th year, 2 6th year, 2 5th year and 2 "traditional" seniors).  It will be the most experienced team in NCAA wrestling history and a heavy favorite to repeat as champs, again.

Shouldn't you wait until they actually win the title before declaring them heavy favorites to repeat as champs?   I know it's looking good for the Hawkeyes but c'mon man!!!:)

10 hours ago, TobusRex said:

What? I thought they portrayed Iowans as backwood hicks? Simplistic redneck is a bit more sophisticated...

As someone with genuine pre revolutionary hillbilly ancestors. I just assume snobs and wannabe snobs don’t know the difference.

I have heard that some schools--Iowa, for one--have been able to add more to the typical 9.9 scholarships, and some have not.

There is no right way to handle this entire situation, in my opinion, but this definitely adds another wrinkle. 

I cannot believe regular posters continue to respond to Jimmy Cinnabon as if he or she actually believes what they are saying as opposed to igniting flames.  For God's sake people, put said poster on ignore already - even if they start a topic worth discussion, focus on that and have the discussion around them.  

5 hours ago, insidecradle said:

Yianni vs Eireman for the title in 2022? Can’t wait! ( I know , assuming they’re in the same weight class)

Eierman needs to worry about winning this year and qualifying for the Trials.  You Iowa guys like to get ahead of yourselves.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Seven starters (plus Abe Assad who is starter-level) as academic All-Americans is pretty great.

Yes it is, that article does suggests that more than 50% (7 at least) could likely qualify for grad program, but I would say most grad program don't just accept kids cause they are free & have their own money, so depends on what programs they are getting into.  

On 3/12/2021 at 12:35 AM, VakAttack said:

On his take that you should only get 4 years to compete?

I agree directionally with the idea that we should limit how long a varsity athlete can stick around. When you have a logjam of athletes who don't get out of the way it gums things up down the line.

How long was Micic competing for? Doesn't seem like too many people had a problem when it was a non Iowa guy taking advantage of all the available redshirts. Cassar was a 24 year old senior as well. Why weren't these grievances brought up then?

7 minutes ago, BTC said:

How long was Micic competing for? Doesn't seem like too many people had a problem when it was a non Iowa guy taking advantage of all the available redshirts. Cassar was a 24 year old senior as well. Why weren't these grievances brought up then?

Cassar had last year, this year, and next year to compete for PSU if he wanted it.  

Not really the same situation as Eierman and Grandpa Mike who are intending to use every last bit of their college eligibility.  Eierman is pretty much the same age as Cassar.

Edited by ShakaAloha

4 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Cassar had last year, this year, and next year to compete for PSU if he wanted it.  

Not really the same situation as Eierman and Grandpa Mike who are intending to use every last bit of their college eligibility.  Eierman is pretty much the same age as Cassar.

You mean just like Micic? I don't really care one way or the other. I'm just saying why bring it up now when the redshirt system has been taken advantage in this way in the past?