Sign in to follow this  
bigrig

US Olympians you Rooted Against?

Have there been any US Olympians you disliked so much from their college days that you actually rooted against them in International competition? If so, who and why? The pro/anti Dake/Taylor situation got me wondering if either might face this if they somehow managed to make the US team someday.

Have there been any US Olympians you disliked so much from their college days that you actually rooted against them in International competition? If so, who and why? The pro/anti Dake/Taylor situation got me wondering if either might face this if they somehow managed to make the US team someday.

Yes, but not in wrestling. Since the Olympics started allowing professional athletes to play I've been rooting against the US basketball teams, especially the men. The USA has such a staggeringly massive advantage that it's not fair in the least to the other countries. Plus the antics of a bunch of spoiled primadonna US athletes really make us look bad. The bballers are probably less bad in that regard than our hockey team, which always acts like asses on the Olympic stage.

I've only been alive for 7 Olympic cycles and in that time, I don't recall ever having a wrestler on the Olympic team FS or GR that deserved to be cheered against. At the trials last April, there was a guy who won a couple of matches at the lowest weight in GR and he whined and complained to the referee in every one of his matches. If he would have made the team, I wouldn't have rooted against him, but I sure wouldn't have rooted for him either.

There hasn't been a single college wrestler who I dislike but I certainly have cheered against an American in the Olympics and that was Rulon Gardner. I wanted so badly to see Karelin complete his undefeated career and go out as the single most dominant athlete in the history of the world. I was in a bar filled to capacity when the match was being aired and I was cheering for the Russian great. A red haired woman took offense and and criticized me for openly supporting the "evil Russian". I asked her if she had any idea of who either guy was and of course she didn't. I asked her if she knew why my ears are deformed and again, she didn't. I then requested that since she knows little to nothing about wrestling, for her to keep her critiques to her self when speaking with grown folks who are actually involved in wrestling. I waned Rulon to lose so bad, not just for Karelin's sake, but so I could stick it to that fat white lady. Unfortunately Rulon won and she had the last laugh, (as well as a 3rd or 4th helping of chili). I would not have wanted to be her man when she got home and her stomach started turning on her.

Yes, but not in wrestling. Since the Olympics started allowing professional athletes to play I've been rooting against the US basketball teams, especially the men. The USA has such a staggeringly massive advantage that it's not fair in the least to the other countries. Plus the antics of a bunch of spoiled primadonna US athletes really make us look bad. The bballers are probably less bad in that regard than our hockey team, which always acts like asses on the Olympic stage.

----

ha ha... I hate to admit it, but I felt the same way.

When Barkley flagrantly elbowed that African opponent, who'd done nothing to provoke it, and USA leading by about 50 pts.... it was hard to root for them then.

Ban, you just can't help yourself, can you? The "cheering" you're referring to were the cheers of those who didn't want to see a corrupt group, led in part by as anti-America POTUS as we've ever had, bribe their way to hosting the Olympics.

But hey, if it turns out that Kyle Dake earns a great living, I'm sure you'll be booing the hell out of him, right? What, with that blonde hair and everything. Probably try to hang a trumped up rape charge against him while you're at it, huh genius?

Scumbag.

Rooted against Rulon, but that was it. I don't have anything against Rulon, I just didn't/don't think the better wrestler won and that the rules in Greco (both at that time and now) are set up to reward the inferior wrestler for not attempting to score. That having been said, I have known a couple of Olympians that I didn't really care for personally (not that I knew they extremely well at all, just my impressions from a few interactions), but I always wanted them to win every match, hands down.

US women's soccer .....those title ix nazis led by Julie foudy. They are probably the only Americans I've rooted against though I don't mind seeing the basketball team lose as well

Yeah, because if Title IX went away, every school would immediately reinstate wrestling - oh wait, over the last decade nearly every DI school that has dropped wrestling was in Title IX compliance at the time. These same old complaints/whining will NEVER win us the battle over public opinion.

Ban, you just can't help yourself, can you? The "cheering" you're referring to were the cheers of those who didn't want to see a corrupt group, led in part by as anti-America POTUS as we've ever had, bribe their way to hosting the Olympics.

But hey, if it turns out that Kyle Dake earns a great living, I'm sure you'll be booing the hell out of him, right? What, with that blonde hair and everything. Probably try to hang a trumped up rape charge against him while you're at it, huh genius?

Scumbag.

Obviously Ban hit very close to the mark to offend you so much. Oh and btw.....were you complaining when Romney, through shenanigans and bribery, got Salt Lake City the Winter Games?

Scumbag.

you are another racist right wing fool who would rather see our country lose than see our president succeed.

That makes you an anti-American, not the president.

Scumbag.

Translation: I hate America and I support those who cheered when the U.S. did not get the Olympic games in 2016, even though I, ironically, like Olympic rasslin.

Go figger, folks. :?:

US women's soccer .....those title ix nazis led by Julie foudy. They are probably the only Americans I've rooted against though I don't mind seeing the basketball team lose as well

Yeah, because if Title IX went away, every school would immediately reinstate wrestling - oh wait, over the last decade nearly every DI school that has dropped wrestling was in Title IX compliance at the time. These same old complaints/whining will NEVER win us the battle over public opinion.

Title ix has been the biggest enemy of college wrestling my friend. What you stated is incorrect

Scumbag.

you are another racist right wing fool who would rather see our country lose than see our president succeed.

That makes you an anti-American, not the president.

Oh really? I see it's another Obama apologist with an IQ of 80. The ONLY reason someone can disapprove of Obama is because he's racist?? Lol, you're right out of central casting. Cue the idiot lib apologist. Believe it or not, idiot, there is more to a person than his skin color. It's too bad you can't see that.

The reason for my comment about Dake is because Ban stated that the Duke Lacrosse players falsely accused of rape deserved it, in large part, because they were white. He felt it was about time a white person was jammed up on false pretenses.

God, you guys are morons. Sad I have to support all of you.

Scumbag.

Obviously Ban hit very close to the mark to offend you so much. Oh and btw.....were you complaining when Romney, through shenanigans and bribery, got Salt Lake City the Winter Games?

I'm confused...the Olympic Games were awarded to Salt Lake City on June 16th, 1995, four years before Mitt Romney was named President and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee, and a mere months after Romney returned to Bain Capital after losing his 1994 Senate campaign by 17 points. Romney had absolutely nothing to do with the SLOC Bribery Scandal.

Title ix has been the biggest enemy of college wrestling my friend. What you stated is incorrect

We're not friends. Title IX could be repealed tomorrow and not one DI program would be reinstated. The only likely result would be the dropping of many women's sports with the money reallocated to Football and Men's BB facilities/coaches. Any school that wants wrestling (see the Big 10) has it. And the schools that don't have it, don't want it back - period - and it has zilch to do with Title IX at this point. But hey, keep rolling with the same complaints wrestling has used since 1979, its worked so well for us...