Sign in to follow this  
bigrig

The Enigma of Ed Ruth as a Freestyle Wrestler

Some have commented on here that Ed's style make it unlikely he will achieve success at the next level. Others are much more optimistic. Personally, I have no clue whatsoever. While one can hazard a reasonable guess about most of the other top guys, I feel just the opposite about Ed. We pretty much know already which of the others are going to pursue FS and even have an initial sense of which ones are likely to be true contenders for spots on the US team. But not w/ Ed.....w/ him, we (or at least I) have no freaking clue.

Clearly he was so far head and shoulders above the field this year that he did not have to push himself. He is simply that good. But in FS at the OTT he seemed out of place and had a poor showing. Will he get motivated to become a great FS wrestler? Can he adapt to the different style? If the answers to those questions are both yes, he may end up being a beast version of Jordan Burroughs and J Smith combined. But by the same token, I would not be totally shocked if it went in the other direction.

Let's all hope he is interested and motivated to master FS. God that would be a fun ride.

Designed to? That's just asinine. Actually every rule is designed to encourage action and high amplitude throws.

is that really true.... the ball grab was designed to encourage action?

I guess some things don't always work out as planned

There was tons of action at this Olympics, it was awesome

I'm serious

That's the dirty secret of the anti-freestyle intelligentsia - Freestyle wrestling has more action now that it has in decades. The current rules have taken the 1-0 (score an early take down, stall out the rest of the match) match out of wrestling.

Ruth's style from neutral is the closest thing to russian this side of Z. I think he'll translate perfectly to freestyle once he's done with college and has time to train freestyle full time. Although, personally, I'd prefer if he went to mma. Imagine how hard those paws can hit.