goheels1812

Post Your Most Anticipated Match

What is your most anticipated match in the NCAA tournament? It can be anything from a pigtail match to a finals match you hope to see. 

I'll start with mine. I cannot wait to see the quarterfinal match at 149 between Brock Mauller and Bryce Andonian (assuming seeds hold). Mauller is one of the most fundamentally sound wrestlers you can watch and he always seems to find himself winning scrambles. He's got a 4th place NCAA tournament finish under his belt and since that finish he's rolled through his opponents for the past two years. Enter Bryce Andonian... I'm convinced Andonian could walk onto a wrestling mat and see J'Den Cox on the other side of the mat from him and he'd still try to throw J'Den on his head. This kid is the definition of fearless on the mat. His only two losses this year were to Austin O'Connor, with the ACC championship loss being a nail biter to the end (and yes he threw O'Connor and raced out to a 6-0 lead). When Andonian and Mauller meet I'm expecting throws, high level scrambles, lots of points scored, and a close final score. I have Mauller winning a tight one, but I wouldn't be surprised if Andonian won behind a few throws. This is one I highly recommend tuning in for when it starts. 

We may also see Austin DeSanto vs Mickey Phillippi who have never wrestled each other.  Either one of them is certainly capable of winning the title.  Phillippi beat Daton Fix at one point I believe.  133 is going to be very exciting.  

On 3/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, flyingcement said:

The one matchup we know we are getting because its first round that I think will be fun is Omania vs Lovett. 

Happened already.  I am pulling for Omania to reverse their result, however nothing from their first match or anything since makes me think that it'll be any closer.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Mine is O'Toole VS Amine.

Two 157lbers putting in the 165lb grind.  The winner has as good a draw as any top 11 seed fi make the finals at 165.

O'Toole against Monday is for sure one of my favorite second round matches.