Antitroll2828

Ncaa- Small schools (non traditional power schools)

Every ncaa tournament a few small schools come away with AA or 2 

what are some of your picks for small schools to get an AA this year 

my pick is Britt Wilson #7 seed from northern Illinois,  he’s in a good spot in the bracket 

Edited by Antitroll2828

I like the topic! Sadly, with the lack of tournaments this year, I really can’t think of any off the top of my head. Love seeing when a guy from a non-perennial powerhouse can make the podium though. I’m sure we will see a few

Yeah depends on how we’re defining “small school,” but I’d go:

125: Codi Russell, App State

133: Chance Rich, CSUB

141: Saul Ervin, SIUE

149: Legend Lamer, Cal Poly

157: Jared Franek, NDSU

165: Izzak Olejnik, NIU

174: Bernie Truax, Cal Poly

184: Brit Wilson, NIU (already mentioned)

197: Greg Bulsak, Clarion

285: Michael McAleavy, Citadel

35 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:
  • Could be a "Pick-em Contest":

Pick the AA from the smallest school enrollment at the 2021 D1 NCAA Tournament.

I'd guess Zach Hartman (Bucknell, 3,600 students according to wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_institutions).  He is a 5-seed, I was mostly calling out slightly lower seeds earlier.

Citadel not far behind if McAleavy is able to AA.

Of course schools like Clarion (4,330 enrollment) that compete in D2 in other sports are not included on that list.

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I got Utah Valley with at least 1: LaMont or Romero.

I would second that, i.e., I agree.  Romero in particular (since he started out at Boise State).

2 minutes ago, Swayz said:

Depending on what we define as small school for DI,  I love Cerniglia from Navy.   BUT,  last I knew he has a very tough draw. 

As bad as Marinelli's bad draw? 

J/k. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

Depending on what we define as small school for DI,  I love Cerniglia from Navy.   BUT,  last I knew he has a very tough draw. 

His best chance to AA is if he beats Berge and Young back to back on the top setting up a quarter with Dellavecchia, if he drops one to Berge or young his path on the backside is rough 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

As bad as Marinelli's bad draw? 

J/k. 

No one is talking about how tough gables draw is compared to other top seeds, he’ll have either Wood an AA or Kerk in the quarters, cass or Schultz in the semis and a Parris final , obviously he’s a heavy favorite but he’s still most likely facing the 3 best guys at the weight in a row 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No one is talking about how tough gables draw is compared to other top seeds, he’ll have either Wood an AA or Kerk in the quarters, cass or Schultz in the semis and a Parris final , obviously he’s a heavy favorite but he’s still most likely facing the 3 best guys at the weight in a row 

That is not a bad draw. 1) Typically a champ will beat 1-2 AAs along the way to the finals 2) Steveson is head and shoulders above everyone else 3) I went from excited to see Kerk on the big stage to terrified how bad GS may thrash him to send a loud and clear message if they meet up.

On 3/13/2021 at 6:51 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

Every ncaa tournament a few small schools come away with AA or 2 

what are some of your picks for small schools to get an AA this year 

my pick is Britt Wilson #7 seed from northern Illinois,  he’s in a good spot in the bracket 

What is your definition of a "small school?"

If Northern Illinois is a small school does that make Oklahoma State a small school?  

;_;

25 minutes ago, ionel said:

What is your definition of a "small school?"

If Northern Illinois is a small school does that make Oklahoma State a small school?  

;_;

I should have used Non traditional power schools not “small schools”  I forgot how literal everyone of this site is 

20 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I should have used Non traditional power schools not “small schools”  I forgot how literal everyone of this site is 

Yeah that's kinda what I was going with - well more like non typical top 25 schools of which I still don't think Pitt qualifies.  I honestly probably wouldn't really count schools like CMU, Rider, or Campbell either (which I guess is saying something for Campbell...)

Three EIWA freshmen who caught my eye during the regular season are Luke Nichter of Drexel, Ben Pasiuk of Army, and David Key of Navy.  Drexel's got 15,000 undergrads so it's not a small school, but it's not a power program.

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah that's kinda what I was going with - well more like non typical top 25 schools of which I still don't think Pitt qualifies.  I honestly probably wouldn't really count schools like CMU, Rider, or Campbell either (which I guess is saying something for Campbell...)

Campbell only has had 1 AA since the Kolat team took over so I’d say they’d still qualify, rider had some recent AAs Walsh 2x and Clagon but I’d still consider them non traditional especially considering Rutgers the only other non IVY D 1 team in the state soaks up most the local attention ...I agree with CMU, I feel like they consistently have guys atleast competing for an AA and Pitt has had national finalists in the last years and are a school that is part of the NCAA Football / ACC basketball billion dollar tv contracts so I don’t see them fitting in this category 

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah depends on how we’re defining “small school,” but I’d go:

125: Codi Russell, App State

133: Chance Rich, CSUB

141: Saul Ervin, SIUE

149: Legend Lamer, Cal Poly

157: Jared Franek, NDSU

165: Izzak Olejnik, NIU

174: Bernie Truax, Cal Poly

184: Brit Wilson, NIU (already mentioned)

197: Greg Bulsak, Clarion

285: Michael McAleavy, Citadel

I haven’t looked at his draw but Bulsak is definitely a guy who can AA , seen him wrestle a few times he’s pretty tough