Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

The NIT of Wrestling (a glorified practice tournament)

Here's an idea: we get all the kids who were on the cusp of making NCAAs but didn't make it. We'll need 16 kids per weight, at least. Non-starters welcome as long as they are ranked in the top 50.  All D2/D3 finalists welcome to participate. 

We'll crown NIT "National Champs" for teams and individuals! 4 NIT All Americans per weight, too. We'll throw the tourney in the midwest somewhere. Yeah, yeah, the NIT National Champ won't be taken all that seriously (kind of like the MAC Champ in football) , but it'd be better for the boys to get a little wrestling in at the end of the season when they'd normally be sitting on their butts! I bet they'd love to get together to get a little more shiny stuff before the folk season ends! Maybe some of them were legitimately on the cusp of moving up in skill and would like the chance to get a little more work in! 

Discuss.  

Well as far as I’m concerned, as long as it is staggered a little, not to directly compete with viewer time , of the Dl tournament,its a win. Good for the marginal guys on power squads, and all ncaa lower division to get extra recognition. More wraslin is not bad. 

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Here's an idea: we get all the kids who were on the cusp of making NCAAs but didn't make it. We'll need 16 kids per weight, at least. Non-starters welcome as long as they are ranked in the top 50.  All D2/D3 finalists welcome to participate. 

We'll crown NIT "National Champs" for teams and individuals! 4 NIT All Americans per weight, too. We'll throw the tourney in the midwest somewhere. Yeah, yeah, the NIT National Champ won't be taken all that seriously (kind of like the MAC Champ in football) , but it'd be better for the boys to get a little wrestling in at the end of the season when they'd normally be sitting on their butts! I bet they'd love to get together to get a little more shiny stuff before the folk season ends! Maybe some of them were legitimately on the cusp of moving up in skill and would like the chance to get a little more work in! 

Discuss.  

This is good.  Berry good.  Now, someone fund it and do it.

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

You mean the National Collegiate Open? 

Yeah, but I think he wants to allow the champs from the lower divisions to enter and the guys who didn't qualify via their conference tournaments or wild card

8 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Yeah, but I think he wants to allow the champs from the lower divisions to enter and the guys who didn't qualify via their conference tournaments or wild card

Pretty sure the "Open" part of National Collegiate Open means that just about anyone in "college" can enter (I saw someone from USMAPS competing).

Between the time of a schools last dual meet and the NCAA D1 tournament, Coaches want the rest of the team to primarily be practice partners for the starters/qualifiers. The immediate aftermath the NCAA tourney is too anticlimactic. Very different from the NIT where either the whole team is in the NCAA or the whole team is not.

6 hours ago, klehner said:

Pretty sure the "Open" part of National Collegiate Open means that just about anyone in "college" can enter (I saw someone from USMAPS competing).

Pretty sure D-1 starters who enter in their conference tournament have not entered in the National Collegiate Open in past years.  It is a tournament for guys that are backups, redshirts, etc.  Not starters who fail to qualify for NCAA's.  It makes no sense for a starter on a D-1 to enter the National Collegiate Open, which is right before conference championships.

Tobus' proposed tournament is different.  He is proposing to invite D-1 starters that did not qualify for NCAA's, along with D-2, D-3, and NAIA champs, and the well known backups and guys on redshirts.  I think his tournament would be after conference championships, possibly the open weekend before NCAA's.  

Normally the only times a National open entrant enters the conference tournament 4-6 days later is after the starter is injured. Is it not to late to tack on additional bouts for RPI etcthere may be some cities where it could be  possible to set up 12-16 mats at another site, and have the event the day before or after NCAA, But I doubt it

6 hours ago, RichB said:

Between the time of a schools last dual meet and the NCAA D1 tournament, Coaches want the rest of the team to primarily be practice partners for the starters/qualifiers. The immediate aftermath the NCAA tourney is too anticlimactic. Very different from the NIT where either the whole team is in the NCAA or the whole team is not.

Kind of like the ncaa Dl tournament, whole teams aren’t invited.  Cool

23 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Discuss.  

I gave this a like because there was no LOVE

This is a really great idea.  Question is how will it be funded?  The NWCA was quick to act on providing a D3 national tournament as a way to support the opportunities lost to these athletes.  Maybe getting them involved?