VakAttack

MatScouts (and Willie) buy Intermat

13 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Is Intermat now going to be behind a paywall ?

It basically is already.  The only thing that isn't are obits and some results.

Edited to add:  College rankings and a small part of High School Rankings are also not behind a paywall as of yet.

Edited by MSU158

5 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Appreciate it, Vak.

i'm excited (and a little nervous).

Are you taking over the rankings?  Honestly, I think Intermat has been the best for some time now and I was kind of hoping you would leave that alone.  But, I know rankings are a large part of your schtick, so I understand if you take them over.......

really kicking my own ass for not getting into some RAE token when it was less than $0.50/token.  still might hop in given its almost half what it was in january and it certainly seems like rofkin is here to stay.

huge congrats to @Husker_Du what a stark difference from 12 months ago.  would love to hear more about matscouts llc and long-term plays sometime!

2 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

thanks Witherman.

MSU - i have long considered Intermat's college rankings to be the best and most consistent. 

but they were done by Andrew Hipps who wants to hang it up. 

that being said, i have the pieces in place. ;) 

Understood.  If he doesn't want to do it anymore, I guess you will do.....;)

I do know you work really hard and your passion for wrestling is 2nd to none.  I may not see everything eye to with with you, but I respect what you do and wish you the best!  FLO NEEDS to have legit competition for the Sport to truly benefit.  I hope you can get enough of a foothold to truly be that type of a long term competitor!

Good luck!

I'm truly interested to see what Willie does with the platform.  Right now he's got the Rokfin channel, which is very "new media".  This is obviously a more traditional "brick and mortar" internet source.  The article indicates they will be different and separate, so I can't wait to see what the differences in content will be.

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is pretty interesting-I’m curious whether the goal is to rebuild intermat to compete with Flo in terms of news or to incorporate the brand into matscouts, “Intermatscout.”

What about - williemats ?  

Short, simple, has a nice ring.  

Have to say, as someone who has been a Willie critic/skeptic in the past, I think he's putting out the best content in the game right now. I recently bit the bullet and subscribed to Rokfin because I'm so starved for postseason wrestling content, and his site and podcast are pretty great.

On FRL, especially towards the end, I felt Willie was constantly getting off on tangents and stupid arguments with the other hosts and the whole vibe of the show was off. Given what we know about the behind the scenes issues, that makes more sense. His chemistry with his new cohost is fantastic (as is Corby himself). Extremely substantive, but still fun and off the cuff. It's like sitting at a bar with two huge wrestling super fans who also have a lot of inside connections. The written content is excellent as well and there's a lot of it. Can't recommend it enough if you've got an extra $10 to spare, at least during wrestling season.

Very excited to see what he does with intermat.

4 hours ago, bport133 said:

Underrated post of the day.

The rich kid in question’s “writing” is a perfect example of how not to convince people of a point. Even on the few things he was correct about he would prioritize grandstanding over making the best argument for productive change possible.

It should be used as an example to teach young kids about what not to do when advocating for change.. especially if they want to actually accomplish anything.

3 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Have to say, as someone who has been a Willie critic/skeptic in the past, I think he's putting out the best content in the game right now. I recently bit the bullet and subscribed to Rokfin because I'm so starved for postseason wrestling content, and his site and podcast are pretty great.

On FRL, especially towards the end, I felt Willie was constantly getting off on tangents and stupid arguments with the other hosts and the whole vibe of the show was off. Given what we know about the behind the scenes issues, that makes more sense. His chemistry with his new cohost is fantastic (as is Corby himself). Extremely substantive, but still fun and off the cuff. It's like sitting at a bar with two huge wrestling super fans who also have a lot of inside connections. The written content is excellent as well and there's a lot of it. Can't recommend it enough if you've got an extra $10 to spare, at least during wrestling season.

Very excited to see what he does with intermat.

Agree with all of this 100% - things were clearly off near the end of Willie on FRL and now we know why.   Corby and Willie do a great job on their podcast.  Rokfin has been a big plus for wrestling coverage and excited to see what Willie can do with a mostly stagnant Intermat.  Getting wrestling fans to pay for anything that isn't video is a tough, TOUGH sell so he'll have his work cut out for him.   Good luck smalls...