VakAttack

MatScouts (and Willie) buy Intermat

4 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Please help us who are in the dark on this “rich kid”.

I think they are referring to the guy that used to wrestle for UVA (I think). Can't remember his name, I haven't been to Intermat in a long time. They put nearly everything behind a paywall awhile back and there is very little content if you aren't willing to pay. I've paid for memberships a few times over the years, but once they put nearly everything behind a paywall it turned me off quite a bit. 

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I think they are referring to the guy that used to wrestle for UVA (I think). Can't remember his name, I haven't been to Intermat in a long time. They put nearly everything behind a paywall awhile back and there is very little content if you aren't willing to pay. I've paid for memberships a few times over the years, but once they put nearly everything behind a paywall it turned me off quite a bit. 

I don't mind things behind a paywall. It's the way media is heading (or has already headed) for years.  How many newspapers are behind a paywall? Sports sites that give more than basic information? What Willie/Intermat needs to do is make sure that subscribers will get their money's worth and more from a subscription. I'm sure he'll do this.

thanks, guys. i love the brand and the legacy of Intermat. of course the plan is to give the content a shot in the arm. and to do precisely what Earl said and provide plenty of good, original, and thought provoking content to make the sub worth its price.

I would like to increase video content on intermat, add more fantasy and contest/pickem content, and put up message boards. one thing i'd really like to do is give aspiring  / emerging writers and creators opportunities. and maybe good posters and fans too. obviously there's a lot of work to be done and this is a crazy busy period in wrestling w/ ncaa's and then the trials. 

13 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Please help us who are in the dark on this “rich kid”.

My guess is he's referring to TR Foley.  While I don't know of his financial situation or "rich kid" status,  Foley was the #1 reason I said goodbye to Intermat for good.  I followed that site since it's inception in the mid 90's but I could no longer stomach his weekly liberal grandstanding. 

16 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Have to say, as someone who has been a Willie critic/skeptic in the past, I think he's putting out the best content in the game right now. I recently bit the bullet and subscribed to Rokfin because I'm so starved for postseason wrestling content, and his site and podcast are pretty great.

On FRL, especially towards the end, I felt Willie was constantly getting off on tangents and stupid arguments with the other hosts and the whole vibe of the show was off. Given what we know about the behind the scenes issues, that makes more sense. His chemistry with his new cohost is fantastic (as is Corby himself). Extremely substantive, but still fun and off the cuff. It's like sitting at a bar with two huge wrestling super fans who also have a lot of inside connections. The written content is excellent as well and there's a lot of it. Can't recommend it enough if you've got an extra $10 to spare, at least during wrestling season.

Very excited to see what he does with intermat.

Agree 100% with the last paragraph and I while I haven’t subscribed to Rokfin I can absolutely imagine Willie puts out excellent content. Is the podcast you are referring to behind a paywall?

I’m excited by this news of the acquisition as well. More competition and quality content on wrestling is good for everyone.

5 hours ago, Earl said:

I don't mind things behind a paywall. It's the way media is heading (or has already headed) for years.  How many newspapers are behind a paywall? Sports sites that give more than basic information? What Willie/Intermat needs to do is make sure that subscribers will get their money's worth and more from a subscription. I'm sure he'll do this.

I don't mind paying either, generally. I've had a FLO subscription for a few years now (but I've never been truly content with it).

1 hour ago, wamba said:

Agree 100% with the last paragraph and I while I haven’t subscribed to Rokfin I can absolutely imagine Willie puts out excellent content. Is the podcast you are referring to behind a paywall?

I think he's been making it free when it's live but then putting it behind the paywall after.   He'll usually say when it's live on twitter

Thank god something happened with it. Other than their rankings it has really nothing to offer unless you pay. I do pay but I'm not even sure it is worth it. I thought Open Mat blew past them a while back for good content. Plus, OM covers all the divisions, NAIA, women's, etc. Another source for wrestling news is a good thing. Good luck Willie!

8 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

thanks, guys. i love the brand and the legacy of Intermat. of course the plan is to give the content a shot in the arm. and to do precisely what Earl said and provide plenty of good, original, and thought provoking content to make the sub worth its price.

I would like to increase video content on intermat, add more fantasy and contest/pickem content, and put up message boards. one thing i'd really like to do is give aspiring  / emerging writers and creators opportunities. and maybe good posters and fans too. obviously there's a lot of work to be done and this is a crazy busy period in wrestling w/ ncaa's and then the trials. 

Congrats Willlie.  I always cheer for those who grew up in the hallowed grounds of District 11.  I'm more than happy to add to your podcast variety.  Weekly show, "Porta on the John"

On 3/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, Husker_Du said:

I was just thinking of subscribing to InterMat and - now that Willie is at the helm - will definitely do so.

Willie, can I get a senior citizen, veteran, or any other type of discount?  Thanks in advance.