Sign in to follow this  
Antitroll2828

Upset thread

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Still seeded too high. No way a 2nd place MAC dude should be in the top 8.

I didn't say he wasn't seeded too high. As a Mizzou fan, we know our guys often get seeded too high. In normal years, Brian Smith does his best to schedule tough non-conference competition and would prefer to not be in the MAC, but it is what it is. As Housebuye stated, Jacques losing to a guy he's beaten twice is not a good example of an inflated seed.

1 minute ago, Holtfan said:

Where the weigh-ins this morning? Maybe the cut and quick match after weigh-ins? 

Who knows? He looked flat, but he just majored the guy a couple of weeks ago, so maybe he thought it would be an easy first round and wasn't ready to go. All he had to do was a bunch of shot fakes in the third period and he would have gotten the second stall call. Instead he slowly plodded forward and let Lovett take some time-killer shots.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

#22 Gullien over #11 madrigal ...apparently his big 12 tournament magic is all used up 

#20 Sullivan over #13 Redding

#18 Burwick pins #15 Schwartz 

#20 Courtney over #13 Loren 

#21 Woods over #12 Willits

Woods over Willits may have been an upset on paper but it was no upset to me.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

#25 Thomas over #8 Abas

#23 Lara over #10 Van Brill 

#20 Heil over #13 Moore

Abas looked like crap out there this morning.  I don't think I've ever seen a less energetic wrestler.   His shots - what few he took - were half-hearted and totally ineffective. 

5 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Jarrett let the kid stall. It's as simple as that. Mizzou was overseeded one year - 2018 - and because this board's median age is around retirement levels, they can never forget. 

Wait a few hours after their 7 seed with no good wins on the season loses before you post this.  

Looks like a TD and backers......went up 6-0, then got an escape to go up 7-0. You spot most any wrestler a 7-0 lead, unless your name is Spencer, you likely aren't going to come back and win. 

Or his n@me is McKee!

14 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Jarrett let the kid stall. It's as simple as that. Mizzou was overseeded one year - 2018 - and because this board's median age is around retirement levels, they can never forget. 

Hi, I am a millennial nowhere near retirement and came here to say that Mizzou is always overseeded.

Two guys from the same conference should not meet in the first round.   There is enough spaces to separate them out a little more than what they did.  At 149, they have Lovett, Rooks, Omania, and Murin all wrestling each other the first two rounds.  Rooks and Omania went to the national tournament and one of them will only have wrestled big ten opponents.

1 minute ago, Robert Root said:

Two guys from the same conference should not meet in the first round.   There is enough spaces to separate them out a little more than what they did.  At 149, they have Lovett, Rooks, Omania, and Murin all wrestling each other the first two rounds.  Rooks and Omania went to the national tournament and one of them will only have wrestled big ten opponents.

They stopped doing it just a few years back (since I stopped doing the brackets in 2006). They were separated since at least the mid 80s.

7 minutes ago, Robert Root said:

That is the problem with seeding all 33  wrestlers.  Seed the top 12 or 16 and blind draw the rest.  shuffle the deck if you match up the same conference in the 1st round. 

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

They stopped doing it just a few years back (since I stopped doing the brackets in 2006). They were separated since at least the mid 80s.

Rightly so.  When you are randomly drawing a majority of the guys in, I would understand the separation.  However, now that they seed to 33,  you end up exactly where you should be.  The point is to try to start everyone off based on the resume  compared to EVERYONE else.  I don't see how it can be more fair. Would you really want your guy not to be seeded 12 because the 21 seed is from the same conference?

Plus, I really don't think ANYONE cares if they are wrestling guys from the same conference again and want to see someone "new".  They are there to beat the other 32 guys no matter who they are.

Edited by MSU158

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

Rightly so.  When you are randomly drawing a majority of the guys in, I would understand the separation.  However, now that they seed to 33,  you end up exactly where you should be.  The point is to try to start everyone off based on the resume  compared to EVERYONE else.  I don't see how it can be more fair. Would you really want your guy not to be seeded 12 because the 21 seed is from the same conference?

Plus, I really don't think ANYONE cares if they are wrestling guys from the same conference again and want to see someone "new".  They are there to beat the other 32 guys no matter who they are.

They stopped doing it before seeding everyone though.  I'm having trouble seeing when exactly give the league make-up flux in those years. I know the group that took over after I left could separate by conference but they over-did it (for those that remember Bracket-Gate in 2007). Some years after that they eliminated it entirely.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

He was 2-0 against him this season. That was a true upset, not a seeding issue. 

He still may have been seeded to high (I think he isn’t the #7 wrestler in the nation), but this doesn’t prove that

Sorry, not going to let "facts" ruin a good time.

29 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

They stopped doing it before seeding everyone though.  I'm having trouble seeing when exactly give the league make-up flux in those years. I know the group that took over after I left could separate by conference but they over-did it (for those that remember Bracket-Gate in 2007). Some years after that they eliminated it entirely.

Thanks for the extra info.  I am sure a lot of it was the mentality that it wasn't worth the extra effort!

3 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

I don't remember what happened that year. What was the gist of it?

The separation rule was that conferences couldn't meet in pigtails or the round of 32 but could meet in round of 16. So basically not in the first round. They didn't want to go past that or the B1G would be protected even more than by seeding (12 at the time) given that most of the unseeded B1Gs were pretty good also. It might have affected the team score for a while as Minnesota didn't have to face other B1Gs while ISU did.