CoachWrestling

NCAA 2021 Session 2

1 minute ago, simple said:

What an embarrassing explanation from Tim Shiels. Just use a damn stopwatch

What was it (the explanation and situation)? I didn't see but are you going by the ESPN clock? Could the clock have run too much earlier and they held to even it out?

Horrible! They have the replay available and you can clearly check the time from that! Why not use it?! Everyone time I’ve ever seen a clock not start, they at least estimate and run off a few seconds. How do you justify just not counting all that time?

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It's really the timer's fault. He failed to start the clock.

Simple watch the video and take 6 seconds off the clock.Leaves you one second.   you don't wrestle another 7 seconds . Thats absurd. coached over 1000 matches . I have never seen that egregious of a call.

Edited by Paul158

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He said he was following the rulebook. Good explanation-- if true.

That’s not what he said at all. He said, “it’s not in the rule book(to use a stop watch), per se”. Then just play the video and count....This is not a rare occurrence and just pretending no time went off the clock is not the normal reaction. 

2 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Simple watch the video and take 6 seconds off the clock.Leaves you one second.   you don't wrestle another 7 seconds . Thats absurd. coached over 1000 matches . I have never seen that egregious of a call.

Unfortunately common sense seems to disappear more and more every year.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

You are beating the #1 seed with less than 10 seconds left.  I would want that TD reconfirmed by another ref.

Maybe it was clearer in person.  I didn't think the TV angle was 100% conclusive...particularly given the mess we just saw in Heil-Lewallen.

Fair point 

7 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

What was it (the explanation and situation)? I didn't see but are you going by the ESPN clock? Could the clock have run too much earlier and they held to even it out?

He just said there was no way for them to know how much time went off the clock so they didn’t take any time off. He was asked why they just didn’t watch the replay and use a stopwatch and responded, “it’s not in the rule book, per se”. He had no real answer to then being asked why not just count...

6 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

The coaching official is so completely full of sh*t. Clock error. He says you can’t possibly know how much time ran off the clock. So they pick the one amount time we absolutely know is wrong. Zero. 

Spot on - there was most assuredly a lot closer to zero than 7 seconds left on the clock.  Atrocious officiating and explaining.

If Lewallen had gotten a takedown in 4 seconds of the first 7 seconds, would they have found a watch to award the takedown? Yes they would have.

I also remember all those years ago with the kid that beat Realbuto they had the version of Shiels who just said over and over "the coach has to challenge, you can challenge everything, throw the challenge, you have to challenge, etc". The coach threw the darn brick! Now what? Shiels says it is reviewable. Why was there no review?

4 minutes ago, jdowntown said:

If Lewallen had gotten a takedown in 4 seconds of the first 7 seconds, would they have found a watch to award the takedown? Yes they would have.

I also remember all those years ago with the kid that beat Realbuto they had the version of Shiels who just said over and over "the coach has to challenge, you can challenge everything, throw the challenge, you have to challenge, etc". The coach threw the darn brick! Now what? Shiels says it is reviewable. Why was there no review?

Excellent. That’s the huge problem. Free option to Boo. 

1 minute ago, BigTimeFan said:

Excellent. That’s the huge problem. Free option to Boo. 

What if there is a rule that says: "When the clock does not start, the ref shall re-start the match from the last stoppage." Shiels seemed to say that there is such a rule.

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

What if there is a rule that says: "When the clock does not start, the ref shall re-start the match from the last stoppage." Shiels seemed to say that there is such a rule.

If there is such a rule Shiels certainly picked a weird way of telling us. 

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He literally didn’t say that. The only time the word rule came out of his mouth was when specifically referencing the question asked about a stopwatch. Even then he didn’t say what the rule is. Only that using a stopwatch, “is not in the rule book, per se”. He said it was reviewable, but that they had no way to know how much time actually went off the clock. Lol. There’s multiple very easy ways. Why are you justifying this absolute garbage decision? Table workers forget to start & stop the clock all the time. What’s the normal response? It’s certainly not “well there’s no way we could possibly know, so re-wrestle it all”

3 minutes ago, simple said:

He literally didn’t say that. The only time the word rule came out of his mouth was when specifically referencing the question asked about a stopwatch. Even then he didn’t say what the rule is. Only that using a stopwatch, “is not in the rule book, per se”. He said it was reviewable, but that they had no way to know how much time actually went off the clock. Lol. There’s multiple very easy ways. Why are you justifying this absolute garbage decision? Table workers forget to start & stop the clock all the time. What’s the normal response? It’s certainly not “well there’s no way we could possibly know, so re-wrestle it all”

There are a lot of matches that a bunch of wrestlers should want back if time should never be run off

3 minutes ago, simple said:

I know he didn't say that. He was inarticuate to say the least. But it could be the case. I don't know and am not saying I do know.