Elevator

Video of Mr. Shiels on clock error at end of Heil v Lewallen

Tim Shiels, NCAA Wrestling National Coordinator of Officials, with an explanation on the ending of the Lewallen and Heil match.

Two obviously false statements in the lame justification for this travesty:

1) have to be fair to both wrestlers - NO, nothing fair to the wrestlers with the lead to give the other guy all the time

2) no way to estimate the time that should have gone off the clock - NO, a stop watch and run the tape.  At most there was a second.

10 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Tim Shiels, NCAA Wrestling National Coordinator of Officials, with an explanation on the ending of the Lewallen and Heil match.

Two obviously false statements in the lame justification for this travesty:

1) have to be fair to both wrestlers - NO, nothing fair to the wrestlers with the lead to give the other guy all the time

2) no way to estimate the time that should have gone off the clock - NO, a stop watch and run the tape.  At most there was a second.

I will add that even if you can’t exactly estimate the time that elapsed, restarting the where the clock was is the same as choosing zero which is the worst estimate possible. 

20 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

I will add that even if you can’t exactly estimate the time that elapsed, restarting the where the clock was is the same as choosing zero which is the worst estimate possible. 

Yeah. It would’ve been just as fair to say all 7 seconds had run out. They picked the worst possible option and tried to justify it. Logically using his justification the “fair” thing would’ve been to put 3 or 4 seconds on the clock

2 minutes ago, simple said:

Yeah. It would’ve been just as fair to say all 7 seconds had run out. They picked the worst possible option and tried to justify it. Logically using his justification the “fair” thing would’ve been to put 3 or 4 seconds on the clock

My guess is they restarted the clock at seven second and never dreamed that Boo would get the takedown and blow the whole thing. Then when he did get the takedown, Shiels dug in. 

1 minute ago, BigTimeFan said:

My guess is they restarted the clock at seven second and never dreamed that Boo would get the takedown and blow the whole thing. Then when he did get the takedown, Shiels dug in. 

I think this is exactly what happened.  Laziness on the decision because they thought it wouldn't make a difference.  And when it did, they doubled down on their mistake.  

Tim Shiels is the same ref that penalized Alan Waters for getting spiked by Gilman at the national duals. It got lost in the shuffle because of Gilman's antics, but the initial call was that Waters was at fault for getting jumped on by Gilman.

17 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I think this is exactly what happened.  Laziness on the decision because they thought it wouldn't make a difference.  And when it did, they doubled down on their mistake.  

100%

How were no officials or table workers not watching the clock?  Seriously, if the wrestlers hadn't gone out of bounds the refs would have let action continued.

I know in football if the clock doesn't start on the snap, a ref blows the play dead, that does happen infrequently but I've never witnessed them basically let a full play go untimed.  The refs keep the time on the field, too

3 hours ago, Riddle said:

How were no officials or table workers not watching the clock?  Seriously, if the wrestlers hadn't gone out of bounds the refs would have let action continued.

I know in football if the clock doesn't start on the snap, a ref blows the play dead, that does happen infrequently but I've never witnessed them basically let a full play go untimed.  The refs keep the time on the field, too

I think it's the 2nd refs job to make sure match time and riding time start and stop when required. 

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Yep.  Even Campbell didn't argue when it happened.

The refs were lazy about a decision that seemed meaningless at the time.  They blew the lazy decision.  Then it became important and it was far too late to change at that point.