Elevator

Video of Mr. Shiels on clock error at end of Heil v Lewallen

If I were to write the rules right now, I just might agree with some of you clowns that think your opinion takes precedence over the rule book.

But - neither of us is writing the rule here. It already exists:

“Integrated timing and scoring and/or a view of the official score clock on the official video system are the only allowable timing or scoring devices to be used for video review.”

(Stopwatches, ESPN-only clocks, your stove-top timer at home, etc. are not official, not 'concrete', and not an an allowable official source per the rule book.)

8 hours ago, IronChef said:

Tim Shiels is the same ref that penalized Alan Waters for getting spiked by Gilman at the national duals. It got lost in the shuffle because of Gilman's antics, but the initial call was that Waters was at fault for getting jumped on by Gilman.

Gilman was a little bitch. 

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

If I were to write the rules right now, I just might agree with some of you clowns that think your opinion takes precedence over the rule book.

But - neither of us is writing the rule here. It already exists:

“Integrated timing and scoring and/or a view of the official score clock on the official video system are the only allowable timing or scoring devices to be used for video review.”

(Stopwatches, ESPN-only clocks, your stove-top timer at home, etc. are not official, not 'concrete', and not an an allowable official source per the rule book.)

But the timestamp in the video review is an integrated timing device. 

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

But the timestamp in the video review is an integrated timing device. 

Depends what video they had. The ESPN video would be a bad idea since it wasn't integrated into the scoring system. They had colors wrong, and the times although generally close were not dead on with the clocks. I'm guessing they had another video on the same side as the score table that could see the clocks in the center of the arena.

2 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

This match is why wrestling struggles to maintain relevancy.  You'd never see this occur at any other D1 level competition, especially one being broadcast nationally.  What a disgrace

Other sports have no problem going to video and best guessing how much clock ran.  NBA has clock errors constantly and just uses video to solve it.  The NFL does the same.  The back half of any NFL review is using video to figure out the clock.  

But our officials allow arrogance to motivate them to do anything possible to avoid a call being overturned.  They care about being right far more than they care about getting it right.  And nobody has made them change that like other sports officials were forced to change.

12 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

This match is why wrestling struggles to maintain relevancy.  You'd never see this occur at any other D1 level competition, especially one being broadcast nationally.  What a disgrace

The NFL literally sent the wrong team to the Super Bowl based on a blown call.

Edit:  They did change the rule the next year.   Which if what happened in Heil/Lewallen was actually based on a rule I'm sure that will change next year too.

Edited by 1032004

6 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Other sports have no problem going to video and best guessing how much clock ran.  NBA has clock errors constantly and just uses video to solve it.  The NFL does the same.  The back half of any NFL review is using video to figure out the clock.  

But our officials allow arrogance to motivate them to do anything possible to avoid a call being overturned.  They care about being right far more than they care about getting it right.  And nobody has made them change that like other sports officials were forced to change.

100% agree. Over and over again wrestling officials/rule makers/admin all ignore common sense because of arrogance and ego.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

The NFL literally sent the wrong team to the Super Bowl based on a blown call.

Edit:  They did change the rule the next year.   Which if what happened in Heil/Lewallen was actually based on a rule I'm sure that will change next year too.

Lol. One is a subjective call. The other is “there’s no way to tell how much time went off the clock” uhhhhh you mean besides a stopwatch, or the time stamps on the video, or just counting? How about just admitting you blew it. They’re all a bunch of frat bros who cover up for each other, and never face any consequences when they blow even the simplest decisions.

15 minutes ago, simple said:

Lol. One is a subjective call. The other is “there’s no way to tell how much time went off the clock” uhhhhh you mean besides a stopwatch, or the time stamps on the video, or just counting? How about just admitting you blew it. They’re all a bunch of frat bros who cover up for each other, and never face any consequences when they blow even the simplest decisions.

I don't agree with what they did.  Just pointing out that stuff equally as bad happens in other sports too.

57 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don't agree with what they did.  Just pointing out that stuff equally as bad happens in other sports too.

But it happens from a screw up.  It doesn't happen because insecure men are allowed to review their own calls and do whatever possible to declare they were right all along.  Major sports have normalized review to the point that their refs no longer try to deny deny deny any time it goes to review.  Wrestling official is a super hard job, so I'm inclined to cut slack, but when they refuse to use the tools available to fix what they screw up, that's on them and their egos.

43 minutes ago, boconnell said:

But it happens from a screw up.  It doesn't happen because insecure men are allowed to review their own calls and do whatever possible to declare they were right all along.  Major sports have normalized review to the point that their refs no longer try to deny deny deny any time it goes to review.  Wrestling official is a super hard job, so I'm inclined to cut slack, but when they refuse to use the tools available to fix what they screw up, that's on them and their egos.

This ^^

19 hours ago, simple said:

That specifically doesn’t apply to this situation, clown.

Except that it does. Zero videos that were time stamped was integrated into the official clock. That is 50% of the point here.

The other 50% is that the rule book needs to be followed. It can be changed next year, but can't be changed in real-time just because some clowns want it changed right now.