Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Jordan Burroughs may not go into MMA after all

I just saw this, but on March 9, Burroughs tweeted:

"I decided today that God willing, I want to coach after my wrestling career. I want to build a winning program."

He could easily change his mind by 2016, but who knows. He may never try the MMA route. But there's nothing wrong with that. He'd probably be a fantastic coach.

Who do you think should give him an offer?

Best news I heard today. Would love to see him do some damage at 170 in MMA but he is or will be as big as Cael. We need him to stay.I didn't think we would have someone like that so soon. If he runs the table through 2016 then he is the biggest name in the sport maybe ever. We have never had a an unbeaten guy at the senior level correct? Rutgers would be a great fit!!!

We have never had a an unbeaten guy at the senior level correct?

No, but it would be shocking if Burroughs didn't lose through 2016. Although it's already shocking that he's unbeaten through two years on the senior level. I'm not sure what the longest unbeaten streak is. I think Fadzaev had close to 100 match win streak going at one point. But all of the best guys, Fadzaev, Beloglazov, Smith, Saitiev, they all dropped a match every so often. It will be interesting to see who the first guy to beat Burroughs is. Eventually it will happen. Tsargush came close at the Olympics. He was the only one who did.

Why not a Ivy school. They all want to start wrestling now for some reason. I wonder who the big donor is there with all the money. The iveyies are being swayed by someone with cash-pretty cool to see that. How about Burroughs at Penn or Harvard? That would be cool.

If Burroughs runs the table through 2016 he will be the biggest name in wrestling/recruiting. One year ago I would not have said this but he will be bigger than:

Smith

Cael

Brands

Gable

Starting this year the whole unbeaten thing will start getting press overseas and all will send their steriod freaks out to try and beat him.

Right now he could get a good job somewhere but if he runs through 2016 then he will transcend the sport like Cael did in 2002 or Gable did in 1972 or Smith did in all his titles. People will be selling their wives if he goes undefeated through 2016 and retires. It would be rocky Marciano status.

If he's open to building a program from the ground up (and he probably can), he has a few more options available to him. These three schools would be intriguing possibilities in the future:

Arizona State: Although the state of Arizona doesn't have a ton of talent, if Burroughs were to coach here, he would have an advantage in recruiting west coast talent. ASU is also in a solid conference. Also, it's sunny there.

Rutgers: It's a Big Ten school in Jersey. That says it all. A potential problem would be recruiting competition with PSU and Cornell in the neighborhood, among others. But that may not be much of a problem as Jersey and nearby Pennsylvania have some of the deepest talent pools in the country.

UNC: Although the ACC is looking vulnerable, UNC will definitely be okay should the ACC implode. Everyone knows the Big Ten wants it. At UNC, he'd have good access to the wrestlers from Jersey all the way down to Florida. Of course, the state of North Carolina itself does not have a deep talent pool.

Nothing against Jordan, but there are a lot of people here assuming that because he is a great wrestler that he will be a great head coach. Only took John Smith about a decade to figure out the transition, what's a few days for Jordan.

When the time comes, why don't we let him start off as an assistant and see how it goes?

"I decided today that God willing, I want to coach after my wrestling career. I want to build a winning program."

He could easily change his mind by 2016, but who knows. He may never try the MMA route. But there's nothing wrong with that. He'd probably be a fantastic coach.

Hasn't Burroughs been pretty clear all along that he has little to no interest in MMA?

Hasn't Burroughs been pretty clear all along that he has little to no interest in MMA?

He has mentioned that he wasn't interested in going that route until after he has finished another Olympic cycles or two. But hasn't completely ruled it out either.