Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Joe Lee is fixable

He has good aggression and some good offense.

His problems are three:

1. Lack of strength combined with wrestling like he's really strong.  How many times has he gone for He-Man moves and ends up throwing himself on his back?  He needs to spend this offseason in the weight room and add some functional strength.

2. Lack of fundamentals on bottom.  I've never seen a trained wrestler try to stand up and get out from bottom without even attempting to gain ANY hand control.  He was literally flailing like an epileptic fish for 2 periods against the 28th ranked wrestler like he had never been taught proper standup technique.  Fix this in combination with added strength and he can get out from bottom.

3. Lack of head hands defense.  He literally doesn't even get a finger on many wrestlers when they shoot on his legs.  The 28th ranked guy got in on his legs like he was the second coming of Jordan Burroughs.  Again just some fundamental defensive drilling can improve this massively.

I could see him eventually reaching low AA status if he improves these three things.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

No, the guy who is going to beat the Bull tomorrow

I think Griffith goes Ivy League, Princeton?  Cornell?  A School similar to Stanford Academically.   No Inside Info, Just a Hunch.

2 minutes ago, dougb said:

I think Griffith goes Ivy League, Princeton?  Cornell?  A School similar to Stanford Academically.   No Inside Info, Just a Hunch.

He can't go Ivy League if he graduated (which seems to be the case) and still wants to wrestle 

2 minutes ago, dougb said:

My Bad then, I didn't know that rule.

I have no inside info, but I think it's within the realm of possibility he goes to somewhere that's not Northwestern or Michigan type.   Similar to what Rivera did (not saying he'll go to Rutgers, just using that as an example).   He has the Stanford degree, he doesn't necessarily need a top graduate degree.    So getting back to the original topic I probably wouldn't be surprised to see him at PSU.

I think it is possible that this year's Griffith would get the best of this year;s Joe Lee in a wrestle-off, but Lee can be a very different wrestler by next year.  He seems to have a lot of physical tools and toughness, but does not wrestle strategically with discipline like other PSU wrestlers. Even if Lee's approach works in the PSU room, it is not working consistently against NCAA qualifiers.  Cstar and Brooks are impressive with their strategic disciplined approach where for the most part they wrestle in their positions and have a very patient and strong defense.  It is hard to get them off their game in a way that we have not YET seen with Joe Lee.    

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I have no inside info, but I think it's within the realm of possibility he goes to somewhere that's not Northwestern or Michigan type.   Similar to what Rivera did (not saying he'll go to Rutgers, just using that as an example).   He has the Stanford degree, he doesn't necessarily need a top graduate degree.    So getting back to the original topic I probably wouldn't be surprised to see him at PSU.

It is sad that we can't say "Duke is a good fit for him academically and athletically."

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

No inside info here either, but you would think that they have to do something to upgrade 165.