fullnelson

Marinelli injury?

Marinelli has earned respect as a proven gritty high-level competitor and team leader who would withdraw only if it was necessary.  Like Berge and Lewis and guys who qualified and withdrew this year and years past, it is part of the sport and they and he do not deserve internet pot shots on their character from keyboard tough guys.  Elevator tips his hat to all of these dedicated competitors in the arena.    

Edited by Elevator

Just now, Elevator said:

Marinelli has earned respect as a proven gritty high-level competitor and team leader who would withdraw only if it was necessary.  Like Berge and Lewis and guys who qualified and withdrew this year and last, it is part of the sport and they do not deserve interent pot shots on their character from keyboard tough guys.    

This!!

10 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Marinelli has earned respect as a proven gritty high-level competitor and team leader who would withdraw only if it was necessary.  Like Berge and Lewis and guys who qualified and withdrew this year and years past, it is part of the sport and they and he do not deserve internet pot shots on their character from keyboard tough guys.  Elevator tips his hat to all of these dedicated competitors in the arena.    

You're right. Let's not discuss wrestling on a wrestling message board. 

I don't think anyone can reasonably think Marinelli would bow out unless he absolutely had to.  He was going up against a couple of bruisers last night in Amine and Wittlake but I think he is a takedown better than both.

28 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I just heard broken ribs from someone who is at the tournament with people who would know. 

You can see him touch his stomach at the end of the match. I thought it was an abdominal tear or something, ribs make sense if true.

Elevator favors discussing wrestling on a restling message board but urges it be done in a way that is respectful of the sport and its heroic competitors.  The NCAA tournament is a magnificent show of dedication and heroic competition.   The guys in the arena do not deserve internet pot shots on a public forum.  This message board is not your local bar where you are chewing the fat with your pals. The wrestlers' friends,  family, and community can and do see these public posts.  

Edited by Elevator
typo

11 hours ago, fullnelson said:

I didn't see any point in the quarters match that indicated an injury. Anyone know the nature of the med forfeit?

Edited by stp

Don't know that we'll ever know the full story behind Marinelli's exit, but I'm thinking it's probably a combination of being both physically and emotionally broken.  I doubt one of them alone would have prevented him from opting out.  Had he beaten Griffith, I can't see him not giving it a go in the semis, regardless of whatever is ailing him physically.  And had he not been dinged up physically (bruised or cracked ribs, abdominal tear, whatever, etc.), I think he has the emotional maturity and fortitude to suck it up and make a go of it in the wrestlebacks -- if not for him, for his team.  After all, he's faced significant adversity before, in life and on the mat, and has shown remarkable resiliency.  But both together may have been too much this time -- especially when it looks like further points from him won't be needed for an Iowa team championship.

1 hour ago, CoachWrestling said:

I've seen the rumor that he punched a wall and broke his hand

Well, an athlete punching a wall and injuring his hand IS the type of thing a coach might cover up. Not saying that is the case with Marinelli.

Edited by TBar1977

27 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Well, an athlete punching a wall and injuring his hand IS the type of thing a coach might cover up. Not saying that is the case with Marinelli.

He's been seen on tv congratulating teammates multiple times since and his hand is fine. Most credible rumor is broken ribs. Trainers won't let you wrestle with those. Too dangerous. He holds his left side after the takedown is awarded. Looks like he got crunched a bit trying to hold on.

4 hours ago, Elevator said:

Elevator favors discussing wrestling on a restling message board but urges it be done in a way that is respectful of the sport and its heroic competitors.  The NCAA tournament is a magnificent show of dedication and heric competition.   The guys in the arena do not deserve internet pot shots on a public forum.  This message board is not your local bar where you are chewing the fat with your pals. The wrestlers' friends,  family, and community can and do see these public posts.  

Thanks for clearing that up in the 3rd person. Next time, have Elevator check for spelling, usage, and punctuation errors before he hits "Submit Reply".