Jump to content
MSU158

Does ASU get some credit now?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Team trophy is a strong possibility and they have 5 AA's with a Finalist.  Zeke deserves some credit!

Team trophy????  How do you figure that?  Arizona State is 43 team points behind Iowa at this point (Iowa 109 - Arizona State 67).   Also Iowa has 3 guys in the finals - Arizona State  has 1.

I'm all for giving Arizona State (and Zeke) credit but the fact is they had their butts handed to them in the Quarter-Final round.  Of the four ASU wrestlers who made it to the QF round three of them lost.  The only one who did win was Courtney at 125 lbs and he was won in the OT tiebreaker.    Valencia lost at 165 lbs (due to injury), Norfleet, a 3 Seed, lost 4-1 to a guy who was a 6 Seed, at 197 lbs, Schultz, a 4 Seed, at 285 lbs, also lost  4-1 to the # 5 Seed.   Norfleet, in particular, did well below expectations.  He entered as the # 3 Seed, didn't get injured (as far as I know) and was beaten twice by guys he absolutely should have defeated.  Bottom line is he won't be an A.A. this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many team trophies do they give out? I thought it was 3. 

Regarding ASU, I'm glad to see they are doing well. Frankly I'm surprised they aren't even better, what with all the talent coming out of California. With Stanford dropping the sport I expect ASU to get stronger. 

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Henry said:

Whenever I see Colton Schultz, my initial reaction is that Daton Fix has really let himself go. 

Somebody needs to get those boys a haircut. Hell, I'll even pay for it. Give them a manly look, like Marinelli has. On the other hand that might not be so good for their wrestling, their legs will give out from all the wild monkey sex coeds will be throwing their way. You see, women can't resist a bald man. Yes, they know that bald men are packing massive genitalia and know how to use it, but mostly they love the spiritual and moral greatness of bald men, men who have evolved past disgusting animal traits like hair on the head. The greatest and wisest warriors are always bald. Don't ask me, ask Cael. 

 

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bronco said:

Team trophy????  How do you figure that?  Arizona State is 43 team points behind Iowa at this point (Iowa 109 - Arizona State 67).   Also Iowa has 3 guys in the finals - Arizona State  has 1.

I'm all for giving Arizona State (and Zeke) credit but the fact is they had their butts handed to them in the Quarter-Final round.  Of the four ASU wrestlers who made it to the QF round three of them lost.  The only one who did win was Courtney at 125 lbs and he was won in the OT tiebreaker.    Valencia lost at 165 lbs (due to injury), Norfleet, a 3 Seed, lost 4-1 to a guy who was a 6 Seed, at 197 lbs, Schultz, a 4 Seed, at 285 lbs, also lost  4-1 to the # 5 Seed.   Norfleet, in particular, did well below expectations.  He entered as the # 3 Seed, didn't get injured (as far as I know) and was beaten twice by guys he absolutely should have defeated.  Bottom line is he won't be an A.A. this season.

Seriously?  For as long as you have been around wrestling you don’t understand the “team trophy” guidelines? Top 4 teams get one. 
 

As far as their performance goes, Courtney and McGhee have been fantastic. Teemer and Schultz have done as well as you could reasonably have expected. Hell, Crooks and Munoz even won a match!

Valencia looks really good until the quarters but still managed to battle back to AA with an injury.  So, really the only significant underperformance was Norfleet  and he lost to a guy that is in the Finals and then again in the R12  Making the R12 isn’t blowing up  going 0-2 is  

Simple truth is, Zeke has taken quite a bit of heat and they delivered very well this year. His guys showed as much grit and determination as I have seen from any of his squads.  Happy to see it!

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Somebody needs to get those boys a haircut. Hell, I'll even pay for it. Give them a manly look, like Marinelli has. On the other hand that might not be so good for their wrestling, their legs will give out from all the wild monkey sex coeds will be throwing their way. You see, women can't resist a bald man. Yes, they know that bald men are packing massive genitalia and know how to use it, but mostly they love the spiritual and moral greatness of bald men, men who have evolved past disgusting animal traits like hair on the head. The greatest and wisest warriors are always bald. Don't ask me, ask Cael. 

 

You know you are jealous of the guys with hair.  Just admit it and move on.  Hell, live vicariously,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Oh yeah. Props to ASU.  In particular, AV showed alot of heart. 

It bout that injury he is almost certainly  a semi finalist! And he has that recent win over the finalist on the other side...Anthony was so close to winning a title. 
 

happy he AAd at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Seriously?  For as long as you have been around wrestling you don’t understand the “team trophy” guidelines? Top 4 teams get one. 
 

As far as their performance goes, Courtney and McGhee have been fantastic. Teemer and Schultz have done as well as you could reasonably have expected. Hell, Crooks and Munoz even won a match!

Valencia looks really good until the quarters but still managed to battle back to AA with an injury.  So, really the only significant underperformance was Norfleet  and he lost to a guy that is in the Finals and then again in the R12  Making the R12 isn’t blowing up  going 0-2 is  

Simple truth is, Zeke has taken quite a bit of heat and they delivered very well this year. His guys showed as much grit and determination as I have seen from any of his squads.  Happy to see it!

 


 

Re: Norfleet - he also didn’t take a bad loss. That weight is just stacked. He would’ve AAd  last year in a much weaker weight. 
  
Both guys are AAs and one is a finalist.

He lost fair and square, but he is on the level to AA. Hopefully next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tons to take from the tournament, but I think Schultz impressed me the most. He is a top heavy. His movement is so good. 
  
He very well could place 4th. I think Cass takes him out again, but that is definitely a match. Crazy he is only a freshman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has performed just about on par with what they should. Norfleet is disappointing, thought he was going to make a deep run and really surprise people. The surprise was on me, he needs to open up. Also thought McGee or Teemer would go surprisingly deep in the main bracket. Munoz was Munoz. Shows he can wrestle with the best one match then shows the lack of consistency the next. A lot to build upon there though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...