4awrestler

I deadlift 665 LBs

Might be the weirdest toot your own horn comment I’ve ever heard in a post match interview outside of Brooks post match big ten interview where he credited the mullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call BS on that one. So as a 19 year old wrestler who lifts to supplement his wrestling training, he is a couple of small plats off of a world record? He's either fluffing his actual number or hangs out in Mr. Fix's kitchen every day. The WORLD record for drug-tested powerlifting in the 198.2 lb weight class is 684.5 lbs. 

I call BS on that one. So as a 19 year old wrestler who lifts to supplement his wrestling training, he is a couple of small plats off of a world record? He's either fluffing his actual number or hangs out in Mr. Fix's kitchen every day. The WORLD record for drug-tested powerlifting in the 198.2 lb weight class is 684.5 lbs. 

The fridge was/is in Mr Fix’s garage, not the kitchen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

The fridge was/is in Mr Fix’s garage, not the kitchen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good catch. It would be irresponsible to keep steroids in the kitchen. They belong in the garage fridge. 

Personally, I keep mine in the basement fridge. Though they are clearly labeled, "steroids." 

I find it very hard to believe Ferrari can deadlift that much. I deadlifted 550 pounds in HS at 190 pounds and everybody thought I was a freak. Actually the reason they thought I was a freak was my oversized genitalia, but the point still stands. 

Just looked up the Texas Record for HS 198 pounders (slightly diff weight classes than wrestling), and it's 715 pounds. 

Edited by TobusRex

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I find it very hard to believe Ferrari can deadlift that much. I deadlifted 550 pounds in HS at 190 pounds and everybody thought I was a freak. Actually the reason they thought I was a freak was my oversized genitalia, but the point still stands. 

If your story is true, why is it surprising that one of the best COLLEGE wrestlers can out do you?

24 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This says the record in 810 pounds, so you may be WAY off. https://barbend.com/john-haack-total-world-record/

I was told recently by a pretty knowledgeable source that he might be the strongest athlete on campus. Check his Instagram and you will see evidence, and when you see him wrestle live it’s amazing how he physically overwhelms people.

26 minutes ago, NJDan said:

This says the record in 810 pounds, so you may be WAY off. https://barbend.com/john-haack-total-world-record/

You obviously never powerlifted or follow it. The USPA does not drug test. They have a side show of a division in which they do but all their big world records are achieved drug-assisted. Hence my original comment.... 

26 minutes ago, Jbolstead said:

I was told recently by a pretty knowledgeable source that he might be the strongest athlete on campus. Check his Instagram and you will see evidence, and when you see him wrestle live it’s amazing how he physically overwhelms people.

He is Mr. Fast Twitch for a reason. I don't dispute the fact that he is a friggin' specimen. Look at his dad, who is a monster. But he's not deadlifting 665 in-season making 197 on 1-hour weigh-ins without chemical assistance. 

27 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He did it here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDElKuVHqqH/ looks like it was last summer

There's a lot of hitching, so it wouldn't fly at an actual powerlifting competition...but he's not a powerlifter. Anyways, Ferrrai is likely well over 197 in this video, so it's more likely just over 3x his bodyweight. He's an ultra-elite wrestler/athlete that looks like he's been focusing on strength/explosive training pretty much his whole life. Most guys who train a powerlifting style for just a couple of years can pull between 2.5x-3x their bodyweight easily, so this isn't that bonkers of a pull. I can pull 2.75x of my own bodyweight, and I am not a fast-twitched guy or an elite athlete with any good genetics...or receiving top-tier coaching...or living an athlete's lifestyle lol.

The elite powerlifters at 74kg are already pulling over 600 with ease. The truly elite lifters at 198lbs usually choose 700+ lbs as their "opener" for deadlifts and work their way towards 800 (in a powerlifting competition, you get 3 attempts at a lift). AJ is probably actually a lot closer to 220 in the video. The best of the best at 220 are pulling well-over 660. If you follow powerlifting, or have competed in it, then you know a ~3x BW deadlift with terrible form is not all that impressive. 

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

John Haack is a complete monster. The future GOAT of powerlifting if anyone cares. 

Again, I understand powerlifters in general are pulling bigger numbers. How many world-level powerlifters are legitimately drug-tested at a sanctioned competition?

The lift on that video is not competition form but actually damn impressive. As you said, he's probably nowhere near 197 there though. That wouldn't just be a monster pull at 197, but within spitting distance of drug-free world records. 

12 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

John Haack is a complete monster. The future GOAT of powerlifting if anyone cares. 

Big fan. BUT, what was his biggest total in a drug-tested event? I don't know, but if you look it up, it was not anywhere near his current totals and I bet AJ's 665 DL would be competitive with his which I'm guessing would've been within 20-30 lbs.

I actually looked it up and here you go, in his own words. NOT natural.

For the record, I am NOT accusing Ferrari of using PEDs of any kind. If he lifts that big in the off-season on full feed, that's still DAMN impressive. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

goStanford18 is all over this topic, as is wrestlingnerd. Powerlifting is a discipline that takes time, effort, training, and focus on specific techniques in the three main lifting movements. It's similar but also different than wrestling, a synergy if you will. Honestly, wrestlers are a natural fit for the aforementioned, if their grappling accolades don't come to fruition. 

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Again, I understand powerlifters in general are pulling bigger numbers. How many world-level powerlifters are legitimately drug-tested at a sanctioned competition?

The lift on that video is not competition form but actually damn impressive. As you said, he's probably nowhere near 197 there though. That wouldn't just be a monster pull at 197, but within spitting distance of drug-free world records. 

USAPL and IPF claim to be drug-free and use random drug testing for their athletes, but they have some freaks in their federations that make it very hard to believe they are not on a lot of gear. The men's IPF deadlift world-record at 130lbs is 606lbs; at ~205lbs it's 820lbs; at ~230lbs, 860lbs. I don't know if AJ has been hanging out with Fix too much, but I am not all that impressed with his deadlift when looking at it from either a wrestler's or powerlifter's perspective. 

Bo Jordan easily and cleanly (and somewhat infamously) pulled 500 lbs (https://www.instagram.com/p/BYo35JqhEsw/), and me thinks he does not strength train/powerlift like AJ does, and he's a lot smaller than AJ. I would ballpark that deadlift around 2.75x or more of Bo's bodyweight in that video. I'd bet a good portion of current division 1 wrestlers can already deadlift at least 2.25x their bodyweight without specifically training for it. I'd bet nearly all division 1 wrestlers would be able to deadlift 3x their bodyweight given just a year or two of proper strength training on a powerlifting program...especially all the manlets under 157lbs with tree trunk legs. Insane grip strength + explosive hips is a good starting recipe for a massive deadlift. 

A guy like Tomasello has a good frame for powerlifting and it seems he was able to do over 3x his bodyweight while training for wrestling (https://www.instagram.com/p/CI6MVfHjy1Y/). 

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Big fan. BUT, what was his biggest total in a drug-tested event? I don't know, but if you look it up, it was not anywhere near his current totals and I bet AJ's 665 DL would be competitive with his which I'm guessing would've been within 20-30 lbs.

https://www.openpowerlifting.org/u/johnhaack

Seems the last time he competed in the drug-tested feds was ~5 years ago. His best total at 181 lbs was 1792 lbs with a 694 lb deadlift. So he was probably ~30 lbs lighter than AJ was in that video. That was probably the last time he was still drug-free (if you believe it). 

1 minute ago, TheMetronome said:

goStanford18 is all over this topic, as is wrestlingnerd. Powerlifting is a discipline that takes time, effort, training, and focus on specific techniques in the three main lifting movements. It's similar but also different than wrestling, a synergy if you will. Honestly, wrestlers are a natural fit for the aforementioned, if their grappling accolades don't come to fruition. 

Agreed. Anyways, my point is that a a laser-focused elite athlete like AJ, who dubs himself "Mr. Fast Twitch", and appears to have a high focus on a powerlifting style of training , pulling 3x his bodyweight seems about right. 

This is getting out of hand since I mainly wanted to call out a flippant comment made in the heat of the moment by a 19 year-old kid who just made the finals of the NCAAs--nothing more. But since we're on the topic, I already said that I agree the off-season video looks much more achievable naturally given he's on full feed specifically training for strength and not doing 3 hours of aerobic activity a day, sometimes more. If you read what I originally wrote, I called BS on 665 at 197 (or even in-season). This may seem like nitpicking but the difference between 220-225 and 197 is probably 60+ lbs on the DL, conservatively.

To you, as an amateur powerlifter who follows John Haack, his lift may not be impressive. But in the wrestling world, he may be one of a handful of D1 wrestlers overall who can pull that weight this year, and it's a very impressive lift for wrestling, especially at 19 years of age. From waht another poster wrote, it appears it may be very impressive for ALL of OSU, which is a school that attracts some very strong athletes (like football linemen). 

Bringing up records set by men a decade or so older who have specifically trained their motor skills for just three lifts their entire athletic career is an irrelevant comparison and not a good benchmark for what AJ should be expected to do. Also, keep in mind he is, what, 19? 18? That fact matters a lot too. 

Finally, I think Bo Jordan and Tomasello as examples that point to how AJ's lift is not so impressive has the reverse effect. They were notoriously strong for wrestling. Tomasello was about as tall as Spencer Lee, so it's no surprise he pulls a bigger multiple of bodyweight than the much taller Ferrari. The bart doesn't move down with the lifter's height, and Tomasellow did his DL sumo style, which further reduces the height the bar has to travel.

Yeah, this has gotten out of hand lol. I basically think AJ’s lifts are fine, and he isn’t on gear. Just a young, elite athlete who focuses on the big 3. 

others’ pulling numbers are to contextualize what the elite folks who focus on the big 3 can do and what other crazy strong D1 wrestlers can do when they also train the big 3 a good amount.

AJ is strong for sure. Making the 197 finals as a freshman is an impressive feat. Who were the last freshman to make the finals at 197? Off the top of my head, Cox and Snyder.