4awrestler

I deadlift 665 LBs

Moving the goalposts a bit...he didn’t say he could deadlift that while also making his wrestling weight. Who lifts at weight?

665 is impressive and not at all far fetched for someone that big.

IMO this was an all-time great “meathead” interview. Brook’s mullet interview was done with a little irony and isn’t even on this level. Ferrari is setting himself up as the comic book super villain  the wrestling world forgot we needed. 

Edited by SamStall365247

7 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I call BS on that one. So as a 19 year old wrestler who lifts to supplement his wrestling training, he is a couple of small plats off of a world record? He's either fluffing his actual number or hangs out in Mr. Fix's kitchen every day. The WORLD record for drug-tested powerlifting in the 198.2 lb weight class is 684.5 lbs. 

This. No freaking way.

He may be on juice, as are many of the top athletes in college athletics and beyond. I worked in an adjacent industry for a long time, and steroids were rampant, especially amongst former D1 wrestlers. 

Those numbers are certainly possible for him without juice though. He is using straps and those wouldn’t count as reps in a real competition, so comparing the numbers to pros isn’t really fair. 

with that said he is an absolutely beast. Those numbers are very impressive for a non powerlifting pro. Put it this way - he would get attention from some of the top US powerlifting coaches if he announced he would focus on that full time.  I doubt they would do that for me (I can deadlift 275 and I’m 180. I know. I’m amazing)

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I call BS on that one. So as a 19 year old wrestler who lifts to supplement his wrestling training, he is a couple of small plats off of a world record? He's either fluffing his actual number or hangs out in Mr. Fix's kitchen every day. The WORLD record for drug-tested powerlifting in the 198.2 lb weight class is 684.5 lbs. 

That’s pretty uncool to accuse a college freshman of lying or doping. And then doubling down on it even even a video emerges that he was telling the truth. 

13 minutes ago, BAC said:

That’s pretty uncool to accuse a college freshman of lying or doping. And then doubling down on it even even a video emerges that he was telling the truth. 

I specifically said that the video was impressive but it is also about 20-30 lbs ago. I also said I’m nit accusing him of PEDs (ergo, I called BS on that pull today). Pulling that weight in the off-season is a very different claim than 665 during the interview. Have you ever lost even a lean 10 lbs (even in the off-season, you can see Ferrari is in the teens % body fat level at worst) and not lost strength? It’s practically impossible. 

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

JB as in Burroughs?? When and why did this happen?

JB made a politcal comment. It was pretty vague, non-aggressive and non offensive and Ferrari just said shut up wrestle. I just thought it came across as extremely douchy.

9 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I find it very hard to believe Ferrari can deadlift that much. I deadlifted 550 pounds in HS at 190 pounds and everybody thought I was a freak. Actually the reason they thought I was a freak was my oversized genitalia, but the point still stands. 

Just looked up the Texas Record for HS 198 pounders (slightly diff weight classes than wrestling), and it's 715 pounds. 

I want to know if it was straight bar or trap bar.  If you've see AJ's social videos... dude is a beast in the weight room.  If it was the trap bar... 

25 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I specifically said that the video was impressive but it is also about 20-30 lbs ago. I also said I’m nit accusing him of PEDs (ergo, I called BS on that pull today). Pulling that weight in the off-season is a very different claim than 665 during the interview. Have you ever lost even a lean 10 lbs (even in the off-season, you can see Ferrari is in the teens % body fat level at worst) and not lost strength? It’s practically impossible. 

He didn’t say he pulled 665 that very day so there was nothing for you to call BS on. Didn’t stop you from throwing out the lying/doping choice on his statement.

Would be better if you just retract what you said, rather than trying to find ways to rationalize it. Just own it. I’m not the speech police and not particularly an AJ fan but falsely accuse a kid of doping (or lying)... you gotta clean that up.

Edited by BAC

I think he may be trying to brand himself for future endeavors beyond NCAA and international style wrestling.   I saw some twitter swipes with Steveson and these guys could probably make some big grude match dollars down the road as enemies.  

10 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I find it very hard to believe Ferrari can deadlift that much. I deadlifted 550 pounds in HS at 190 pounds and everybody thought I was a freak. Actually the reason they thought I was a freak was my oversized genitalia, but the point still stands. 

Just looked up the Texas Record for HS 198 pounders (slightly diff weight classes than wrestling), and it's 715 pounds. 

Yet you still got nothing on me relative to the pig skin and the local mountain ranges in my area...

Signed,

Uncle Rico

10 hours ago, NJDan said:

If your story is true, why is it surprising that one of the best COLLEGE wrestlers can out do you?

Is it not just as blatantly apparent to everyone else as it is to I???

Signed,

Big Fan of Self

20 minutes ago, NJDan said:

In the video, AJ has no shoes, which seems just dumb, and no shirt. Does he normally lift like that or is that just his uni for photo shoots?

If you are trying to set a deadlift PR, you want as little on your feet as possible for leverage purposes.  I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of feds that let you go shoeless, but you would want as thin a sole as possible.  As far as the barefoot PR goes, the straps bother me a LOT more.  

31 minutes ago, BAC said:

He didn’t say he pulled 665 that very day so there was nothing for you to call BS on. Didn’t stop you from throwing out the lying/doping choice on his statement.

Would be better if you just retract what you said, rather than trying to find ways to rationalize it. Just own it. I’m not the speech police and not particularly an AJ fan but falsely accuse a kid of doping (or lying)... you gotta clean that up.

Right, I gotta clean that up. I stand by what I said. He's the one who threw it out there for us to discuss. Why am I the bad guy for commenting on it? AM I supposed to divine that he meant his claim at a different bodyweight at a different time? He said what he said without any qualifiers, and I took it at face value and commented on a message board. I didn't accuse him of doping. If you haven't figured it out by now, I accused him of being unable to do so. I was wrong, in part, when Stanford18 posted a clip, albeit in questionable form and with straps and no shoes (this actually matters), but still feel I'm correct that he can't pull that today. I'm not trying to rationalize anything.

Edited by wrestlingnerd