4awrestler

I deadlift 665 LBs

I ran across a guy named Lamar Gant when i was in college.  He was incredible. Like a rhinoceros beetle. He could deadlift 5x his bodyweight.  Further, he had scoliosis and his back would bend like a question mark when lifting heavy weights.   Awesome dude! 

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Not a deadlift, but this guy pushed 3 times his weight OVER HIS HEAD, which I find far more impressive. 

He was an amazing lifter.  At a body weight of 132 lbs, he clean and jerked 419 lbs.  The Turks paid Bulgaria a huge chunk of money to get him to lift for their country in the 1988 Olympics.  He came through with WR in both lifts and the total.  

Died at age 50.

Edited by TheOhioState

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I ran across a guy named Lamar Gant when i was in college.  He was incredible. Like a rhinoceros beetle. He could deadlift 5x his bodyweight.  Further, he had scoliosis and his back would bend like a question mark when lifting heavy weights.   Awesome dude! 

Lamar won the Worlds 15 times.  Very cool that you met him.  

16 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I feel like SI did a story on him once.

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I got to meet him one time in HS. He visited the school weight room and demonstrated a ridiculous deadlift, and he was an old guy at the time. All the kids were suitably impressed. I wonder how much he got paid for the demonstration?

Very cool!  Wish I could have met him.  Vince Anello told me that Bob Peoples was there when Vince became the first person to pull 800 lbs under 200 lbs body weight.  Afterwards they talked and became friends.  Vince said that Bob gave him a copy of his book "Developing Physical Strength."  Called him "his hero."

1 hour ago, TheOhioState said:

He was an amazing lifter.  At a body weight of 132 lbs, he clean and jerked 419 lbs.  The Turks paid Bulgaria a huge chunk of money to get him to lift for their country in the 1988 Olympics.  He came through with WR in both lifts and the total.  

Died at age 50.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=suleymanoglu+vs+leonidas

He also took part in the greatest battle in weight lifting history. He was so incredible.