Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Destin McCauley???

Recently saw on his Twitter that he said he plans on winning an NCAA title next season. Does anybody know where he is planning on going? It was Wisconsin, then Iowa State, then OTC right? Is he going back to ISU or is a new school in the mix?

Thanks for the info, Vak. I don't think McCauley has a ton of folkstyle wins over good college wrestlers, but has had some great freestyle results and I believe pinned Hunter last year. Perhaps he could do some immediate damage.

Recently saw on his Twitter that he said he plans on winning an NCAA title next season.

Don't they all plan to win a NCAA title next season?

Of course grapplefan, I had just been out of the loop for a while and didnt realize McCauley was even planning on wrestling in college.

McCauley is one tough hombre, i have no doubt he could be a contender. My only reservation with him is his time away from folkstyle. He has been working so much on freestyle i fear his mat skills may be a bit rusty. Of course this is just pure speculation. Too many times we have seen big time talent come out of high school and end up " losing a step" due to taking time off, taking a redshirt or pursuing other related avenues (free styler, olympics). Dont foresee it happening with this dude though, just hope he follows through and picks a school asap.

McCauley is one tough hombre, i have no doubt he could be a contender. My only reservation with him is his time away from folkstyle. He has been working so much on freestyle i fear his mat skills may be a bit rusty. Of course this is just pure speculation. Too many times we have seen big time talent come out of high school and end up " losing a step" due to taking time off, taking a redshirt or pursuing other related avenues (free styler, olympics). Dont foresee it happening with this dude though, just hope he follows through and picks a school asap.

What big time talents lost a step for wrestling up on the international level?

Maybe Jake Deitchler?... but not really haha.

You could argue Garrett Lowney, won a Bronze medal at the Olympics before he wrestled his first college match. Sure some of it was being undersized, some of it might have been HEW, but back to back redshirts out of HS probably didn't help either.

I don't know that you could say that Kilgore or Caldwell were "hurt" per se, but taking a year off to wrestle 24/7 against world level competition didn't help as much as you'd think. There aren't a lot of examples of guys taking an Olympic redshirt and coming back BETTER.

Conversely, most of our guys that made an impact during or right out of college (Burroughs, Smith, Cael etc) didn't take an Olympic Redshirt. I personally would like to see that rule abolished. (Sadly, might not be an issue after '16.)

Maybe Jake Deitchler?... but not really haha.

From up here in our neck of the woods .. Derek Garcia. (To some extent) 'm now convinced his bum knee, is the biggest culprit in his career. He spent the last half of his SR HS year at the OYT, then had another Knee operation, never the same.

You could argue Garrett Lowney, won a Bronze medal at the Olympics before he wrestled his first college match. Sure some of it was being undersized, some of it might have been HEW, but back to back redshirts out of HS probably didn't help either.

I don't know that you could say that Kilgore or Caldwell were "hurt" per se, but taking a year off to wrestle 24/7 against world level competition didn't help as much as you'd think. There aren't a lot of examples of guys taking an Olympic redshirt and coming back BETTER.

Conversely, most of our guys that made an impact during or right out of college (Burroughs, Smith, Cael etc) didn't take an Olympic Redshirt. I personally would like to see that rule abolished. (Sadly, might not be an issue after '16.)

Some of us tend to forget that Kilgore was losing pretty handily to Clayton Foster when he pinned him in the finals two years ago.

Or Trice LOL!!!

Intermat's Foley stated that McCauley is finalizing his paperwork with his chosen school and that their will be an announcement next week.

My guess is either Nebraska or Oklahoma State.

Intermat's Foley stated that McCauley is finalizing his paperwork with his chosen school and that their will be an announcement next week.

My guess is either Nebraska or Oklahoma State.

I would be pretty excited if he ended up at OSU.

I know that he is good friends with Patrick Downey and Earl Hall, so it might be Nebraska. Earl Hall got his release from Rutgers so from what I've seen I'm pretty sure he going to Nebraska.

What weight would he wrestle? 149?

Right now it's

149 Sueflohn

157 Green

165 Wilson

174 Kokesh.

I can't see Green going 165 he would be really small for a 165.

Does anyone know why it wouldn't be Minnesota? It seems like it would be a perfect fit for him, but it doesn't seem to be on his radar.

Because the State of Minnesota spent 6 years booing him every time he won a match. High school fans in our state are near sighted when it comes to top talent.